Sign in to follow this  
Chocolate and Honey

How to eat nutritious food and stay fit this Ramadan

The Zack   

As a Somali man AKA Faarax, the last thing I want to worry about is "weight" and "diet". We are fit by default LOL.

Thanks for the tips and tricks though.

Juxa   

Originally posted by chocolate & honey:

Juxa, skeleton beel. Nothing uglier than coming out of this blessed month with a bulging belly and a bad skin from all the sugar and saliid specially when the point of this month is sacrifice. Ilaahayow yaa ku soo arko, you eat less than any of us. Marka odaayasha god ha ka ridin, anigu am looking out for their best interest, adigana you are goading them on.

look abaayo, i personally believe the more you restrict yourself the more you crave for bad things. the trick is eating in moderation, dont eat too much at once, walk here and there and you will be fine.

dieting and exercising can make people miserable, just eat less fatty food, less sugar and salt and take walks.

Ibtisam   

Are you guys serious???

The things I cannot get over:

1) Going to the gym in between Afur & Tarawiix :confused: I break my fast at 8.30pm. By the time I finish eating and drinking and feel normal it is 9.15pm. I need to leave my house at 9.45pm the latest to make it to salah on time. Goormaad gym taagtaan, so carcartaan, shower and read for prayer. Clearly you have 5mins afur? :eek:

Also can I say all those healthy eating post contain a lot more food, if you are eating all that you are eating too much and really not sacrificing much!! I know it is a variety of food and trying to get something of everything but even on a normal none-fasting day we do not eat that level of variety and that amount of food.

Okay with all that said, if at the end of Ramadan you find you PUT on weight, then you need to keep your food intake in check.

My Ramadan routine is basic, it depends on how hungry I am on that particular day, some days one samabus is enough, other times you need 5. :D

Abtigiis   

anigu suxuur ma cuni jirin during Ramadan. It is a trade-off between sleep and Suxuur and I prefer hurdo.

Laakin I ate on the first day of this Ramadan and I saw a difference. I didn't feel the 'soon' that much. Maanta ma cunin suxuur oo waa bastay.

Anyway, socsocod is not possible after afur. It is one of Ramadan's attractions that you stay late and sit infront of the TV with the family. Just to make it special.

Juxa   

^^ talo walaaltinimo if you are poor iska ilaali baruur specially tan gasha caloosha

i always thought ramadanka make you lose weight, dadkiina waan la yabanahay runtii

Tuujiye   

Baked sambuusa maa cuntaa marka? kaas xitaa saliid buu leeyahay.. and why 5? dhuunisanidaa duq yahoo carabka is mooday...war 3dex haka badsan....

so far I gained 2 pounds lool wareer kaanaa.. waraa ansalaato xitaa hadaan cuno waa bararaa ka waran lool past 8 oo aan wax cuno goormaa iigu danbeysay hadana sidii lo'dii aan u daaqaa badar kawaran lool ar yaa ii gargaaroo!

I now biyo aan caloosha ugu been guuraa lool...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

^Lool you should statr drinking prume juice after you eat, it works like a laxative, and I know some one who lost 20 pounds just drinking prune after each meal.

Ninna, if I eat waxa aa meesha ku soo qortay I would throw up in taraweeh, thats too much food and water.

Juxa I definately agree with you, moderation is very important, you should not restrict yourself from eating, I mean its ok to have a cheese cake for desert for a night, you wont gain so much weight within one month.

for some reasons I lose weight during Ramadan, So my goal for this ramadan is to gain than losing it.

Have you guys ever thought of those who DO NOT have any food at all whilst we talk about here our choice of food? SubxaanAllaah.

We suppose to eat just enough to get rid off the hunger, not fill up our bellies with variety of foods.

The idea is to feel the hunger and start contemplating and pondering about your raison d'etre. This was suppose connect you with your Lord.

However, it is important to look after one's health.

Wa salaam.

N.O.R.F   

Eat small amounts and have just about enough to survise the day ahead. This will vary depending on how much fuel you will use.

Rain   

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

I swear by the following:

Fluid

-8 glasses of water with lemon, 2 cups of skim milk, half glass of freshly squeezed grape fruit.

Snacks
: appetizers

-Dates, feta cheese, black olives, pickles, raisins, cherry tomatoes, samosa, bajiye, carrots, humus, toasted pita bread. Banana.

Dinner

80% of time i opt for soups (i.e. veggie, chicken, and fish)

The other times is between pasta and rice dishes complemented with lots of veggies.

Dessert

Fruit salad, yogurt with honey and nuts, or blueberries with yogurt and some Cheerios. Sometimes i crave for dark chocolate but that is once in a blue moon.

Suhuur

Oatmeal with honey, glass of soy milk, and an apple or a banana. A cup of tea just before fajr.

Exercise

Running before dinner or taking a long walk (30min max) to lose the calories you accumulated before dinner.

Tips:

-To the people that hate the gym, go for long walks, after taraawix or after dinner and take advantage of the summer weather.

-Eat light, chew longer, and savour the taste of food.

I've more guidelines and tips, and I will be back.

v

Originally posted by Dhagax-Tuur:

Have you guys ever thought of those who DO NOT have any food at all whilst we talk about here our choice of food? SubxaanAllaah.

We suppose to eat just enough to get rid off the hunger, not fill up our bellies with variety of foods.

The idea is to feel the hunger and start contemplating and pondering about your raison d'etre. This was suppose connect you with your Lord.

However, it is important to look after one's health.

Wa salaam.

cant i ponder while jogging to loose all those calories? :D:D:D:D

Somalina   

@Abaay Heylay, dhuuni aaba iga dhigtee see camal? smile.gif btw, after taraawiix ayaa cunto cunow la bilaabaa.

I don't stuff my face with all that food people! I eat light and just enough to nourish my body. Taataabasho ma taqaaniin?

@Shukulaato iyo Malab, waa aragtaa sheekada meeshii la geeyey nooh? hada my list waxaa laga dhigey a Sumo wrestler's lunch. I'm glad I didn't list what I normally eat. icon_razz.gif cajiib iga dheh!

Aniga, iyo my list waan ka tagney meeshaan koley, good luck getting through to Somalis. :D

Tuujiye, see camal, waxaan u maleeynaayey your motto inay aheeyd eat less. Maxaa waaye daaqida aad ka hadlaysid? Is jooji, haye. By the way the process is for your body to hold on to every morsel you put in your mouth, then flush it out later. So dont worry.

Ninna, you are making them question themselves and they dont like that nooh. They didnt see anything familiar in that list, which is telling by itself. LOL! So dont leave, lets shove the truth down their throat.

Somalina   

lol@shove the truth down their throat.

Are you absolutely and positively sure you want to embark on this impossible mission? :D

Soo tiri waxaa cuntid fadlan. Meeshaas ayaan ka sii wadeynaa runta. ;)

Meel afur la iiga wacay caawa didn't serve malawax, instead serving canjeero. I am all :mad: :mad: :mad: .

Why kuu martiqaadayaan for afur if they don't make a simple few malawaxs for the guests? Balaayo aan u baahneen meesha taxnaa. For me, no malawax means no real afur. Again, :mad: :mad: [ :D ]