Sign in to follow this  
J.Lee

Your prayers needed

RedSea   

Salamu Calaykum,

Amiin to all the previous ducaas.

May allah have mercy on him and may Allah keep him away from any harmful doings those who arrested him may do.

Everyone soul standing on the rightous path has many enemies and may Allah bring him back even stronger than before.

I have attended one of his lectures here in Minneapolis, he is great Imam and great human being.

I am sure he hasn't done anything wrong, it just takes doing the right to be arrested these days. I wished him the best and May Allah be with him as he always has.

Salamu Calaykum.

Cara.   

What you need to do is collect money to hire a good lawyer (who knows, CAIR or ISNA might even provide one) who will contact the media to question his arrest, as well as his continued detention, if they are as shady as the seem. Sometimes public embarrasment moves the feds better than appeals to justice.

Gabbal   

I wasnt overtly surprised when I had heard the great Sheikh was arrested, but I was surprised when I heard the rumours as to why he was arrested. The Sheikh has always been a very visible, public face and in a heightened situation as in the United States, one should not be surprised at scrutiny of his private life. For the federal government to arrest him on charges relating to his immigration status is pure baloney when the Sheikh is perfectly legal to live here. He has a green card for crying out loud! In fact, the widespread rumour circulating around is the Sheikh was arrested at the behest of our own Somalis! They accused the Sheikh of taking money allocated to build a large mosque in Seattle. The people that have accused the Sheikh have originally donated to the Mosque-building efforts, but have rescinded their support when the immediate building of the mosque didn't materialize. They have now accused the good Sheikh of stealing their money and possibly funneling it overseas.

This is a sad development in our community when the highest, most respected member of our community is levelled with such an attack against his reputation and credibilty as well as his physical and sense of being. Inshallah I will try to keep you updated on the situation.

^^Subxaanalaah, I never thought that was the case, walaahi! Please inform us as you obtain the information pertaining to his case and legal procedures he has to undergo. My question, Mr. Hornafrique, is this truly a conspiracy by some elements within our community or its the government who is trying him on some terror related allegations? It seems to me that Sh. Ibrahim was the most dillegent dacwah agents in our community, and indeed has nothing to do with any wrong doings in the law of this country. I don't understand why such individuals of high integrity within our community are simply blamed for the sheer position they hold for our people!

Silly people are every where, trying to stop the message of our religion from reaching others!

waraa sheeqa maxay ka rabaan, maxishoonayan ka waran, laa xawla walaa quwata ilabilaahi

Gaalo soo ma aha, Gees gees ey u fikiraan nooh.

insha allah, waa soo duceyneynaa.

Jacpher   

Originally posted by
Wordette:

However, on the Somali Oral News Network, supposedly, as most Somali tend to speculate, what sparked his arrest was that some Somalis (who are quite known!) in Seattle reported the Sheikh to the Police, accusing him of having stolen money that the majority of Somalis in Seattle have raised collectively to build a new mosque. They also accused him of using it for personal gains.

Originally posted by
HornAfrique:

the widespread rumour circulating around is the Sheikh was arrested at the behest of our own Somalis! They accused the Sheikh of taking money allocated to build a large mosque in Seattle. The people that have accused the Sheikh have originally donated to the Mosque-building efforts, but have rescinded their support when the immediate building of the mosque didn't materialize. They have now accused the good Sheikh of stealing their money and possibly funneling it overseas.

If this is proven to be the case, walaahi we’re at a great loss. What’s wrong with these people? The same thing almost happened in Minneapolis last year. Someone published articles in Somali newspaper alleging Masjid Shafici administrators of stealing money aimed for buying a new masjid in the twin cities. The Imam of the mosque urged the author of the article and whoever has doubts about the money to contact him directly. Alxamdulilaah, few months later, a place was found and bought. On the opening day of the new masjid, the Imam told Somali TV that no one contacted him. It's sad to see the same thing is happening again in our communities.

Castro   

^ Atheer Ducaqabe, there should be absolute transparency when collecting funds for a charitable cause. If rumor has it the sheikh swindled the flock, then a quick statement of the charitable account would have satisfied everyone, no? If the money was deposited in his own personal account and he's globe trotting (he was arrested at the airport), then where there's smoke there's a sheik with his hand in the cookie jar. It happens all the time and in all religions. We shouldn't be surprised it's happening to us. Of course, the FBI JTTF is not interested in the sheikh flying first class to Thailand but in what he did with the money and if he has a tattoo of Bin Laden on his biceps.

We know little about this thing. Hopefully the sheikh will be vindicated and released. If he's a crook, then I'm sure the people he swindled would like to see him dealt with appropriately.

Yeniceri   

Originally posted by Castro:

Hopefully the sheikh will be vindicated and released.
If
he's a crook, then I'm sure the people he swindled would like to see him dealt with appropriately.

I'm sure you're not familiar with Sh. Ibrahim, sxb. But let me tell you that there is no if about his innocence. The U.S. government is fighting Islam on several fronts - war in Afghanistan and Iraq (mainly) and the war of ideology elimination in the West. Sh. Ibrahim represents the 20,000+ Somali Muslims of the Greater Seattle area, not to mention the thousands other Muslims who normally pray behind him.

As far as the rumors, I had a chat with the second-in-command to Sh. Ibrahim (I can't disclose his name on here) last night and he flatly told me that the rumors about fellow Somalis reporting him is, once again, another Somali-created conspiracy to tie two completely unrelated things to each other. Its true that, before Sh. Ibrahim's arrest Monday, a few men had questioned him as to the whereabouts of the money that was collected for a new mosque in Seattle. The Sheikh had informed those men to come to Maghrib prayer and discuss the issue with the greater community - but they didn't show up. Then, that incident was followed by the Sheikh's arrest and my Somali brethren were quick to tie those two things to each other.

Truth of the matter is that the U.S. federal gov't has been after Sh. Ibrahim for quite some time. Before, they denied him the right to travel to Saudi Arabia to visit his wife and kids. Now, they're arresting him on ambiguous "immigration violation" charges, when so many people can testify that he indeed does have a greed card. Also, let's not forget that the arrest of Sh. Ibrahim represents the 15th such arrest - only this time, it was what we can consider a "high profile" case. 14 other Muslims (incl. the Afro-American Muslim barber) have been detained over the past two years, a few at a time, for other ambiguous reasons (the barber was actually reported by a Somali who appeared on TV a while back).

And further below we continue to sink.

P.S. Since when do "immigration violations" appear on Dept of Homeland Security "National Terror Alerts" website? Read this and compare:

The leader of a Rainier Valley mosque was arrested Monday on an immigration charge, surprising those who knew his work in Seattle’s Somali community.

The
respected
leader of a Rainier Valley mosque was arrested Monday on an immigration charge, surprising those who knew his work in Seattle's Somali community.

The Homeland Security people, in their endless efforts to make us Americans feel "safe", thought it prudent to omit the adjective "respected" from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer article when they posted it on their website. Isn't that strange?

Like I said, this goes far and beyond childish Somali fingerpointing. The bigger picture is clear for anyone willing to look.