Sign in to follow this  
Curly

Short-term memory loss, have you got it?

Curly   

Recently I’ve been forgetting things more than usual, everything from appointments, lecture times, ID cards to what I wore two days ago.

It's so fustrating!!!! :mad:

I’ve always been a little scatty, I’m the type of person who can only remember two phone numbers and is forever loosing things, but it’s getting worse and I was wondering if other people have the same problem and what do you do to help you remember?

I did this little quiz at ivillage to see why I’m getting so bad and it said that it could be related to common problems like hormonal fluctuations, stress, an inadequate diet, low blood sugar or not enough exercise. They also think that my problem could also be age-related because memory retrieval slows down as you get older, but this doesn't mean that my memories aren't still there (I don’t think I’m that old just yet!) – they think that I may just need to work harder to remember them. However I think my long-term memory is great.

I've also tried a number of things to help, like I have two diaries one for work and one for Uni, I also have a pocket PC, but I can't remember to keep it updated...and I just remembered I left a DVD I need at home!!! :mad: GOD!

If you want to take the quiz it’s at ivillage.

This post was edited 3 times! This shows how bad I am and this is normal for me!

Curly   

Lol, Yeah you should be ashamed about that!!, I made a ***** moo out myself the week before because of you too!

I thought I went to too many weddings! lol

Get rid of the diaries and the pocket thingymajig. They'll make u rely on them. When u have only yr memory to fall back on, u will concentrate and make a conscious effort to store away information. Things that u store away actively are easier to retrieve. Take it from me, She..Sheha..Shehe..Heshe..

Curly   

^^^

Walaal I don't rely on them but because my memory has got so bad I'll do anything to help me remember...but even that has started to fail. (Or maybe it never worked in the first place)

I've also started to keep a general diary on what I've been doing (when I remember to) and it's crazy, because when I read back I feel like I’m reading the diary of a total stranger I don't remember doing half those things.

I was also wondering about how thoughts and memories appear to people or how you picture things in your mind, because I’ve heard they can be visual with colours, mostly sounds or words.

But I just see the still image of the object or person I'm thinking of and have either a feeling or sound/ voice attached to it.

My work colleague was also just suggesting using links or thought chains to remember things, but I’m not too sure on how that works, any ideas?

Kool_Kat   

I only have "SELECTIVE" Short/Long-term memory losses...I tend to forget things/people I don't want to remember...And so far it has been working to my advantage... ;)

i cant even remember my cell phone #! i dont know the name of the exit for my work, i just know when to exit..!

and i got so many names, i sometimes answer to the tv!!

why do i remember the area code of every state/country in this world!!.. :confused:

king_450   

This is a serious issue and it is not one to be taken lightly. I don't know if you guys ever heard

About "Alzheimer". It is an illness that makes it hard for people to remember,and think sometimes,Some people will get hard time using phone numbers even cooking or handling money. So please if you have either of these symptoms check with your doctor , the sooner the better it can be diagnoezed. Good luck

LANDER   

I have horrible short term memory, it was so bad in my younger day that I was forced to see a psychologist. If you must know how bad here is a little story for you. I usually take the city bus to my Uni but one night I drove to school and studied until late into the night, than I was so fatigued that I followed my typical routine and jumped on a city bus which was a half hour ride to my house. Once I was near the house I realized that I had driven to school and that the car was still parked at the university and that this was the last bus of the night. So I had to wake up a friend and have him drive me back to the Uni so I can retrieve my car. That is just 2yrs ago, there are many stories where that came from.

What is ironic though is that I was told I have extraordinary long term memory such as remembering events that happened when I was barely one and half yrs to two yrs old. But back to the short term memory problem, I started to solve my short term memory by making a routine of everything I do, and I mean every little detail and plus to double check everything before I leave any setting. For example checking where I sat on the bus and if I left anything behind. Sometimes when the routine is broken like in the above example than my short term memory problems become evident. Also what I noticed is that my memory is at its worst when I'm fatigued or when my diet is out of wack which makes my mind wonder off for long periods of time. Sue I suggest you also make a routine out of the times you eat during the day plus most importantly that you have LOTS of fluids. I think that is the biggest key, make sure you carry some water bottles and take in as much fluid as possible. I know its ramadan right now and that might prove difficult, but you probably understand the logic behind it. The brain thrives on Oxygen and water will help the circulation. I found pure 100% Cranberry juice to give the blood a nice boost and keeps the mind alert. Hope some of this can be of some use to you, and Sue don't worry your not alone ;) .

P.S

forgot to mention physical activity when combined with a good diet is excellent too. You won't feel as tired all the time, maybe you can pick out something you think is fun. A few yrs back, the girls here in north america were really into that Tai Bo stuff :D .

Personnaly, a good hard fought ball game did the trick.

Diamante   

Sue ur talking about forgetting stuff...i have the awful tendency to leave out words from sentences...im thinking of writing them down at that moment, but when i proof read it, god knows where they are hiding :confused:

do you guys feel sometimes jinn inuu kadaba shaqeynayo, like when u put ur keys somewhere and it seems like u forgotten it where u put them and u look for them, but later on when u dont need them they're at the exact place u thought u left them??? :confused: weird walahi

anyway have a blessed month SUE, NORTHENER, OG GIRL, SHEHERAZADE, KOOL_KAT, RUDY, KING 450, LANDER AND ALL THE OTHER POSTERS TO COME smile.gif

Som@li   

i had big problems with this memory loss,and i mostly face such problem when i have too many things to do,

One day i went to city and parked the car somewhere , after three hrs, i came back, and couldn't remember n locate the area,,when i noticed that it was becoming a serious problem, i bought PDA and note down everthing, there are also classes available on how to improve memory, i believe u can train ur mind to remember anything like long sequence of numbers..

nuune   

My mind is completely full, maybe that is why I forgot everything, almost everything, even I forgot if I eat food or not, I would ask myself if I ate my breakfast or dinner, cuz I don't know if I did, and my stomach is not telling anything.

psycho_sue, u r talking about u may forgot what u wore 2 dayz ago, believe me, I can't even remember how many people I talked to on my cell phone today alone, I think dat would be easy for most people or it is me only, I don't know.

I never tried to solve this memory loss promlems, but from now on, I would do some action inshaa allaahu

Here is a fix for all of you sick children out there!!!!

MEMORY PROBLEMS? EAT OYSTERS!

Oysters help improve your mental functioning by supplying

much-needed zinc.

ZINC...ZINC..

asxantu