Sign in to follow this  
Curly

Short-term memory loss, have you got it?

Bess.   

it sounds like a epidemic.....well....i recently forgot the name of my bf's mom....i still don't have the guts to ask him to tell me...im hoping he'll mention it soon....b4 it comes up in a confersation.... :(

ramadhan karim

Xoogsade   

Some of the problems mentioned here are very Normal. If you park your car in one spot every time for example, once you change that routine, your mind will take you to the first usual spot where you parked daily untill you notice the car isn't there and you start looking for it. It is just the routine your mind got used to that was suddenly changed one day. So it has to re-adjust to the new location/habits. It happens to me anytime I park my car at the company in a different parking spot. I like to park on the east-side but sometimes there are too many employees and I have to park somewhere different. If I don't remember on my way in to work that my car is parked in a different location, I will look for it after work. I actually found myself remembering suddenly that I have parked the car in a different location and had to turn back sometimes. Embarrassingly, Sometimes co-workers see me standing in the middle of the huge parking Space scanning the area for my car because I didn't make a point to remember where when I was parking it earlier. It is Quite funny LOL. How you do things sometimes has some relationship to your memory. If you are not mindful of what you are doing, you are likely to forget it.

I think everything is explainable though some memory problems require medical attention like Sullen_Sue's. Her Avatar makes me wonder if she is like that always in real life?? Sad and Gloomy. KOLLEY THE GIRL IN THE PICTURE LOOKS SAD AND I SYMPATHIZE WITH HER. Thinking too much and worrying can do damage to your mental well-being.

Anyway, some memory problems require a doctor's attention and people should seek that while others are just due to habits and how we do things.

Tuujiye   

waraada waa wada jiran tihiin bax taqtar u taga...

y'all go seek help..baliiiiiiiiiiiiis

Sue sis you need to drink lots of (maraq)..chicken suop...4real

wareer badanaa!!!

Names names names, that's my problem. Horrible short-term memory when it comes to events, like I can't remember what I did last June 'less I check my planner. However, I have excellent long term memory??? I know, Its weird!!!

SS, it helps if you write jot down what you're suppose to....like a daily to do list. But sometimes, I even have trouble remembering to check my daily list..lol. Gosh you're not alone!

Lander good advice.

I'm beginning to think bad short term memory swims in our Somali gene pool.

I LOATHE post-it notes. I once developed a taste for them at work. I would have one list, which would then become unclear and confusing so I'd create 2 new post-its using some kind of logic to separate the tasks. Pretty soon, that logic too would need rethinking, relisting, rewriting, repasting here, there and... I gave them up. Rather a bad short term memory than post-it-mania.

I don't necessarily think u have a medical problem Sue. How badly does it affect your day-to-today life?

Somebody recently asked me what I had done that day and I said I couldn't remember. He seemed surprised but for those few seconds I had absolutely no idea. I had no reason to immediately conjure up anything specific. It was just another day. Soon the images came back and sure enough there was nothing to set the day apart from any other. Who wants to remember that the day was just like the last? :)

I have to say my short term memory has improved because I've made a concious effort. Visualising yourself completing an event that has taken place often helps retrieve its memory; similarly it helps to see yourself carrying out a future task.

I like to think that those that have problems with short term memory have far, far more important things going through their head. ;)

Xoogsade   

by sheherazade:

I like to think that those that have problems with short term memory have far, far more important things going through their head.
;)

LOL. There is a lot of truth to that. I agree with your assessment that some of the memory depends on the conscious effort you make to get involved in something real serious when you are doing it. There are things I don't make a point in remembering, such as what I eat for example, names of people I work with but don't deal with directly etc.

Sometimes when I am stressed and worried about something, I get stuck on people's names I know. Particularly over the phone. If They call me for something(usually at work) and I have to answer to discuss with them with what their problem is, and though I know who the person is, I can't say right away their names and hide the problem by greeting them pretending I willfully omitted their name. It is frustrating but it goes away as soon as the stress abates.

Niyad deggan xusuusta lagama maarmaaney u tahay. The more you are affected by events surrounding you, the more likely I think you notice some changes in your ability to memorize or remember. At least that is my experience.

Forgeting names seems to be common. I rarely forget names. It's probably because I make the effort to retain the name and always repeat it when a person introduces themselves. That or I have a name fetish.

The problem I do have is that people I have met but have never spoken with on the phone almost always never recognise me when they hear my voice on the phone for the first time. They say: Is that really you? You sound so different! I would never have believed it. Have we ever spoken on the phone b4? Whether it's work related, personal,whatever, I get a few minutes of confusion which I sometimes find embarrassing. Many say I have a good telephone voice(what does that mean?). This doesn't in the least do anything for me. I'm left wondering just how bad I sound face to face. There's no pleasing some..

Curly   

Thanks or the tips and ‘warnings!’ (King), But I don't think I have Alzheimer’s and inshallah I won’t.

Lander inshallah I’ll try and make routines and be more healthy, I’m hoping that will help and I think my memory problem might be due to poor sleeping habits and be generally not feeling myself because I’ve been having little bouts of dizziness, black outs and I on the odd occasion feel a little light-headed and there’s my other little weird problem with focusing my eyes.

Damn! I sound like I need immediate medical attention! But seriously it isn’t as bad as it seems. I’m probably slightly anaemic and I just haven’t bothered to get it checked out properly. I should probably slow down a little because I’m forever rushing about; maybe all of this is paying its toll on me.

Wow I just diagnosed myself, no need for doctor when I have myself aye.

Xoogsade, I think seeking medical attention is going too far, you make me sound like I’m some sort of crackpot. I might come across as glum and sad but hey not everyone is happy and cheery in this world.

Thank you sheherazade for having some faith in my ‘mental well-being’ as xoogsade put it. But I think that my forgetfulness does affect my day to day life, because I waste so much time going back and forth because I left something somewhere.

Like when I leave my house I have to turn back at least once or twice because I left something in my house, that’s if I’m lucky enough to remember it when I’m half way up the road. Other times I’ll remember when it’s too late and I’m on the train or went I’m at work or uni.

Anyways enough of my problems, I’m starting to sound like a real life weirdo with real medical problems.

Xoogsade   

Sullen_Sue, Forgive my inconsiderate comment sis smile.gif And you are right, we don't always feel cheery. We all have our moments of sadness though in the end, with Allah's help, we can wish for a brighter day always. peace ;) And Sorry if you were offended.

Sheherazade.

That is nothing to worry about. If you haven't spoken ever to someone you know over the phone, they will verify whose voice is it they are hearing initially before they get used to it. Doesn't the mind associate looks with specific voice? and for the first time, when the voice sounds a bit alien, and your brain can't pull out an image that can be associated with the voice you hear, you get that curious expression and may ask who is it talking to you. Sorry to pretend an expert here, just relaying personal thoughts and what I sometimes deal with LOL. Anyway, if you talk to the person more than once, they will get to know your voice for sure and associate it with the Sheherazade they know in person. Sometimes the phone alters the voice of the person slightly I think, Hence the more beautiful cadence of your voice over the phone in comparison to the more normal(lol) one you have in real life loooool.

PS: And you had to share how beautiful your voice is huh? LOL.

^^ icon_lol.gif And you just had to make it obvious you are stalking Shehe haye? icon_mrgreen.gif

P.S Sorry, I just couldnt help myself...got a thing about observing people and pointing out the obvious icon_mrgreen.gif

Sullen, I'm so forgetful and my entire family pokes fun at me. I forgot to wear socks to school one day, I left the cooker on another, and I once forgot my sister in school and got on the bus alone. The only advice I can give you is what the nomads already have. If you make it a point to remember and just give a little bit more importance to an event, you're more likely to register it in your head and remember. Just stop being hasty and going through things routinely without thinking. We often do that and hence cant recall.

Juxa   

ooh sue, poor old sowie. u know what, its all about managing it. we all get forgetful sometimes. lemme tell u what i find so helpful. having selective memory. i got this system of hearing what i want, remembering what i want and storing it. the rest i blank it.

so girl chin up. its common problem, the more work u have, the more u forget.

ooh, i got this problem, i always remember the good stuff, the good times, happy

events :confused:

Xoogsade   

Originally posted by 7 of 9:

^^
icon_lol.gif
And you just had to make it obvious you are stalking Shehe haye?
icon_mrgreen.gif

P.S
Sorry, I just couldnt help myself...got a thing about observing people and pointing out the obvious
icon_mrgreen.gif

LOOL Thanks for making me laugh. Thanks Again. And you are more than welcome Seven.

Sue, u do sound anaemic. It won't take long to diagnose that- get yr self to a doctor soon. At the very least rule anaemia out. Blackouts don't sound too good! Dates are good for your blood and what a perfect time of year for getting your hands on some. Make sure u have dates, raisins, greens and almonds. Don't forget now, will you? smile.gif

I think I've put my foot in it with regards to the phone story. I FORGOT to say this: even on hearing my name, they still draw a blank. Who, they ask and I have to repeat the name and then what it relates to or we'd be there for the rest of the day. So the reason I brought it up is because they rarely remember me when they have the name and the voice. Obviously made an impression on them, eh? Phew. Am I off the hook now? No narcissism here, I can assure you.

7of9, hon, are you stalking Xoogsade?

;)