Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

Men have biological clocks for fatherhood

US researchers determine men have biological clocks for fatherhood

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) - Men have biological clocks that cause their ability to father healthy children to ebb with time, according to study findings released by US researchers.

DNA in sperm fragments as men age, increasing the risk of infertility or of babies being born with anomalies such as dwarfism, scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory concluded.

"We know that women have a biological time clock," said study co-author Brenda Eskenazi of the university's School of Public Health.

"Our research suggests that men, too, have a biological time clock, only it is different. Men seem to have a gradual rather than an abrupt change in fertility and in the potential ability to produce viable healthy offspring."

Earlier research by the same team indicated that sperm counts decline and sperm loses its ability to move spontaneously and in straight lines as men age.

The current study, which will be featured this week in an online edition of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, focused on genetic damage or mutations in semen from men of varying ages.

"This study shows that men who wait until they're older to have children are not only risking difficulties conceiving, they could also be increasing the risk of having children with genetic problems," said co-author Andrew Wyrobek of the national lab.

The 97 men that took part in the study were healthy, non-smoking, lab employees or retirees ranging in age from 22 to 80 years old, according to authors.

A supplemental study involving men from the US city of Baltimore indicated that dietary, ethnic, or socio-economic background could exacerbate the effect age has on sperm quality.

Understanding ramifications of paternal age has become increasingly important because of a trend for US men to become fathers later in life, according to the study's authors.

The number of men ages 35 to 49 fathering children has risen approximately 40 percent since 1980, while there has been a 20 percent drop in the number of fathers younger than 30, statistics cited by researchers indicated.

Source

A supplemental study involving men from the US city of Baltimore indicated that dietary, ethnic, or socio-economic background could exacerbate the effect age has on sperm.

^^That explains why Somali men’s sperm velocity defies basic physics laws! No wonder as to why the retarding force has no effect on its speed. Even in latter age [seventies and eighties], Somali men generally tend to be productive. Not only are they shooting straight, but with greater accuracy ;) ! So no sperm decline there, in terms of quantity that is. Nin caano geel ku koray iyo mid MacDonald :D ka dhergay awal baysan isku ragganimo ahayn.

But what I am not certain about is if Somali men’s high fertility rate in their late ages is directly proportional to the relatively low quality of their offspring! Unless some one attacks my underlying assumption, I have just posed a worthy question for western researchers!

Nephissa   

Even in latter age [seventies and eighties], Somali men generally tend to be productive

Yes I see it now! Somali men and their kids, both bald and running around in diapers, sharring a sippy cup.. ROFLsmilie.gif

I read that report recently...quite interesting. The older the father, the more chance the child will be born with genetic defects. I suppose it makes sense as nature places time limits on everything.

LOL@running around in diapers.

Not in that age yaa Bishy :D ! Being in diapers sounds very helpless, feeble and senile. We are not talking about that type. We are talking about men who can function without aid :D .

Seriously though, do you think there’s a relation between being old and fathering a child with genetic problems. Surely I wouldn’t want to have children in my late fifties but the reason has nothing to do with health concerns. I tend not to believe such publications. It’s become fashionable nowadays to easily make these assertions with a dye of scientific study. But I have to say that I liked the subtitle of their conclusion: marry early.

marry early.

Good advice indeed, in Somali wise it's called Walaalkii dhalee - means fathering in a young age,wiilkii dhalee means marrying in reasonable age bordering to a young age, and Wadkii dhalee - means fathering in an old age.

Originally posted by Amelia:

Men have biological clocks for fatherhood

Naah! I say it's just Amelia trying to stir shid. And when shid hits the fan, she goes on walk abouts. Very cloying! icon_razz.gif

LOL@Somali men’s sperm velocity defies basic physics laws. The things you come up with Xiin. icon_razz.gif

I think its only reasonable to conclude that the older one gets (male or female), the less healthier and consequently the same for products of their bodies. Every muscle and cell in our body starts to deteriorate after a certain age at variable rate for different people.

So for best results, reproduce early!

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

A supplemental study involving men from the US city of Baltimore indicated that dietary, ethnic, or socio-economic background could exacerbate the effect age has on sperm.

^^That explains why Somali men’s sperm velocity defies basic physics laws! No wonder as to why the retarding force has no effect on its speed. Even in latter age [seventies and eighties], Somali men generally tend to be productive. Not only are they shooting straight, but with greater accuracy
;)
! So no sperm decline there, in terms of quantity that is. Nin caano geel ku koray iyo mid MacDonald
:D
ka dhergay awal baysan isku ragganimo ahayn.

But what I am not certain about is if Somali men’s high fertility rate in their late ages is directly proportional to the relatively low quality of their offspring! Unless some one attacks my underlying assumption, I have just posed a worthy question for western researchers!

Xiin--A while back I recall reading an article about laptops and male fertility, if my memory surves me right men who use laptops are more likely to be infertile than those who dont. But its not known if the affect is long term or short term. Laptop users such as yourself( I am assuming ;) ) Should be worried. :D

Chimera   

What's the moral behind this study, deploy the soldiers while you're still young or "Sperm cryopreservation"? I can't see myself fathering children at the age of 60/70. Not just for biological reasons, but you're simply not fit enough to take care off them, or be part of their childhood and adult lives. What's the chance that you will be present at your son or daughter's wedding?

I know that my mother has like 30 or more siblings because of the lifestyle of my grandfather, his children and grandchildren send him back money from across the planet, nice investment strategy, I must admit.

I remember as a 8 year old staring at a baby sleeping in a crib, and being told "wa abtiga".

Aaliyyah   

I remember as a 8 year old staring at a baby sleeping in a crib, and being told "wa abtiga".

looool I can relate to that with the exception that I have never met any of my young abtis, they are back home and the youngest of them is prolly around 12...

my awoowe alle ha u naxaristo had left beind many kids...alle ha uga dhigu kuwii akhira u shafaca qaada..

salaam

Ms MoOns   

My fiancé told me that his ayeeyo has a little broter who is his age. They used to play football together when they were little..

How weird is that! :/ Having to say ''awoowe'' to someone who's your age lol

Showqi   

Ms MoOns;720127 wrote:
How weird is that!
:/
Having to say ''awoowe'' to someone who's your age lol

......Or other kids complaining to you: " Waraa awoowga iga celi nooh" .............Hahahaha that is very funny

The Zack   

So time is flying, huh? We need to step our game and get as many kids as possible while we last LOL. According to this study, it doesn't sound like we get whole a lot of time.