maakhiri1

late Sultan Mohamoud Ali Shireh

Amazing guy,  once in Seychelles,  he was under house arrest, he married a local and had 3 children, worked to provide for his new family. Created a life for himself for over the decade he spent in Seychelles. Many years later, his kids  in Somalia and Seychelles, got in touch. one of  his son, a Somali ambassador in Somali gov, met his half brother, from Seychelles also working for that government.

He was  freed and returned to SL in 1930s, , and where he died in 1960.

galbeedi   

It is tragedy that a man of that stature who was one of the few Somalis in history exiled by the British for their political activity isn't known to most Somalis. 

Also, Ina Cali Shire never signed the so called Somaliland protectorate agreement reached with other tribes mainly the Habro and the Awdalites. In fact, it is one of the major arguments that his land (SAnaag) and those in the eastern side were never fully part of the the British empire. 

I hope the current Suldaan has great stature like his ancestors. 

Soomaalidii xoriyada iyo gumetsiga diiday oo dhan hoosta ayaa la galiyey since 1960.

I do not know how far he goes with his ancestors, in Awdal our Ugaas is the  19th and the first one was crowned in Zaylac in 1603.

• Like 1

British were really afraid of him, THEY were worried he would start a second uprising,  after Sayid Mohamed , they even gave him options to become grand Sultan/Sheikh for SL, he refused,  that when he was sent to Seychelles. I have seen another docu with discussions  for him to rule whole SL with British.

cadnaan1   

What annoys me the most is the real heroes of the Somali history were not given recognition but was created some fictional characters like dhagax tuur iyo xaawo taako iyo axmed gurey and many more.

33 minutes ago, cadnaan1 said:

What annoys me the most is the real heroes of the Somali history were not given recognition but was created some fictional characters like dhagax tuur iyo xaawo taako iyo axmed gurey and many more.

Absolutely , the problem was like in  Pakistan, where collaborators started ruling country,   after independence, and screwed up history,  they even put themselves as heroes, and true heroes forgotten!

43 minutes ago, cadnaan1 said:

DHAGAX tuur is incident, not person.

Ahmed gurey is Ahmed Garre ,is a Muslim hero, nothing to do  with Somalis.

This is 

6 hours ago, maakhiri1 said:

British were really afraid of him, THEY were worried he would start a second uprising,  after Sayid Mohamed , they even gave him options to become grand Sultan/Sheikh for SL, he refused,  that when he was sent to Seychelles. I have seen another docu with discussions  for him to rule whole SL with British.

Firstly can you share the document (s) that you are referring to. 

Secondly, if you were being offered such grandiose offers like ruler of Somaliland, then naturally you must be a powerful figure with a power base that is present and cannot be ignored. Right? 

A follow up question is, why would a man with such present power would just be snatched, thrown into jail and sent on a one-way ticket to god-knows-where? And not even two sheep got hurt in the process. :D 

I like sheeko-xariir, but that was when I was a kid. Mar ayaa laga waynaada waxaas. :D  

Somalis say 'ama buur ahaw, ama buur ku tiirsanaw'. Ina Cali Shire buurna ma ahayn, buur na ku ma tiirsanayn. :D 

With regards to the 'Somali nationalism' theme, it is the oldest joke in my opinion. We all know the modus operandi of the Somali psych, it revolves around clans. If you want to picture what the Somali society was like 50, 100 or 200 years ago, just look and analyse today. It is exactly the same, nothing changed just different off-spring. 

Somali clans, whether or not, they are with or against a Foreigners, it depends on the story. And not necessarily has anything to do with 'nationalism', more to do with 'we can't find our interest' so lets fight - along those lines. 

Lastly, the years between 1900 and 1920, there was only one man that dominated the Somaliland from coast to coast and that was General Muse Farax Iggare. 

If anyone would have been offered to rule that whole of Somaliland, he was the man for the job. 

• Like 1

Amigos   

Are we fabricating history this unashamedly? 

Before you continue with your revisionism of history and presentation of this man as some kind of super-nationalist, read with me the letter he wrote to the British colonial officers, and tell us, if you will, if these were the words of the hardcore nationalist you are trying to paint: 

2085813484_WarsangaliSultanbeggingletter.png.ccce456b95cf5c4df65f7870afe944a9.png

Note the use of words by the Sultan of Warsangali: 

As my Master, Excellency, listen to my poor voice and let me return home. I shall be happy to see my country under the protectorate of the English people, I ask no more to be considered as a Sultan, all my firearms and ammunition shall be for the English. I will be satisfied to be the most humble servant of the English nation; what I most desire is the pleasure to be amongst my family, my children and wife, and that is my only dream. Pardon I am asking, I promise to be obedient and respectful towards the English people, I would not like any more to be a Sultan, what I should like is to be under the orders of an Englishman. I swear to what I have stated above, I swear and swear again to it

He swore to Allah that he wants to be an "obedient servant" three times. 

You lot must understand, the Kacaan is dead, you can not make up history any more. 

Amazing guy,  once in Seychelles,  he was under house arrest, he married a local and had 3 children

Another lie, it was a concubine girl of 16 years of age that the old man took! Read the original sources.

1 hour ago, Amigos said:

Are we fabricating history this unashamedly? 

Before you continue with your revisionism of history and presentation of this man as some kind of super-nationalist, read with me the letter he wrote to the British colonial officers, and tell us, if you will, if these were the words of the hardcore nationalist you are trying to paint: 

2085813484_WarsangaliSultanbeggingletter.png.ccce456b95cf5c4df65f7870afe944a9.png

Note the use of words by the Sultan of Warsangali: 

He swore to Allah that he wants to be an "obedient servant" three times. 

You lot must understand, the Kacaan is dead, you can not make up history any more. 

Another lie, it was a concubine girl of 16 years of age that the old man took! Read the original sources.

To me everything he said is normal.

He misses his country and above all family.He is jailed in far land/island that has nothing in common with him.

Language also changes with Politics. That was normal language in those days and the same in Common Wealth countries.

The British senate is called House of Lords, yet one is not supposed to Have lord human.

In Turkish society AttaTurk banned so many religios traditions and was taken as hero.

Put things in perspective and give them reasonable weight. Don't fight the dead from the present.

Amigos   
6 minutes ago, Old_Observer said:

To me everything he said is normal.

He misses his country and above all family.He is jailed in far land/island that has nothing in common with him.

Language also changes with Politics. That was normal language in those days and the same in Common Wealth countries.

The British senate is called House of Lords, yet one is not supposed to Have lord human.

In Turkish society AttaTurk banned so many religios traditions and was taken as hero.

Put things in perspective and give them reasonable weight. Don't fight the dead from the present.

If it is normal, why do you think those who seek to revise documented history hide the fact that he was begging the British and signing letters as their most humble servant?

Or calling the British his masters?

You are being obtuse. 

18 minutes ago, Amigos said:

If it is normal, why do you think those who seek to revise documented history hide the fact that he was begging the British and signing letters as their most humble servant?

Or calling the British his masters?

You are being obtuse. 

If you see letters from King Menelik of Ethiopia, are the same. I am sure some documents this date in Britain or Canada are written with the same words. So many powerful men do bend their knee for the Queen, others bow...

You have to see the man in three very different conditions:

Rebel

Prisoner

Semi- Prisoner, but back home

All he said is he will get out of politics and live like ordinary colonized Somali.

In my view he gave up on his struggle since his people had practically surrendered. On his capture his people should have rebelled. For some reason they gave up and that is the end of his leadership.

Amigos   
3 minutes ago, Old_Observer said:

If you see letters from King Menelik of Ethiopia, are the same. I am sure some documents this date in Britain or Canada are written with the same words. So many powerful men do bend their knee for the Queen, others bow...

You have to see the man in three very different conditions:

Rebel

Prisoner

Semi- Prisoner, but back home

All he said is he will get out of politics and live like ordinary colonized Somali.

In my view he gave up on his struggle since his people had practically surrendered. On his capture his people should have rebelled. For some reason they gave up and that is the end of his leadership.

Your view is meaningless in the face of explicit text declaring his servitude to the Brits and swearing to Allah 3 times on it.

The man was no rebel, he did not control much land, nor did his people make up a significant segment of the population (only 3.1% of British Somaliland Protectorate). 

These are the facts we have. This is the age of the internet and, unfortunately for some, historical revisionism stopped working the day Afweyne fled Mogadishu inside a tank. 

12 hours ago, Suldaanka said:

This is 

Firstly can you share the document (s) that you are referring to. 

Secondly, if you were being offered such grandiose offers like ruler of Somaliland, then naturally you must be a powerful figure with a power base that is present and cannot be ignored. Right? 

A follow up question is, why would a man with such present power would just be snatched, thrown into jail and sent on a one-way ticket to god-knows-where? And not even two sheep got hurt in the process. :D 

I like sheeko-xariir, but that was when I was a kid. Mar ayaa laga waynaada waxaas. :D  

Somalis say 'ama buur ahaw, ama buur ku tiirsanaw'. Ina Cali Shire buurna ma ahayn, buur na ku ma tiirsanayn. :D 

With regards to the 'Somali nationalism' theme, it is the oldest joke in my opinion. We all know the modus operandi of the Somali psych, it revolves around clans. If you want to picture what the Somali society was like 50, 100 or 200 years ago, just look and analyse today. It is exactly the same, nothing changed just different off-spring. 

Somali clans, whether or not, they are with or against a Foreigners, it depends on the story. And not necessarily has anything to do with 'nationalism', more to do with 'we can't find our interest' so lets fight - along those lines. 

Lastly, the years between 1900 and 1920, there was only one man that dominated the Somaliland from coast to coast and that was General Muse Farax Iggare. 

If anyone would have been offered to rule that whole of Somaliland, he was the man for the job. 

You think there was no nationalism, only interest of clans??, you have to go back and get the real history,  even if scary and paints your ancestors in bad shape. 

It is absolutely false to say there were no nationalism,  it is true some clans saw their interest with colonizers,  some bend the knee easily, while others fought purely for nationalism and  freedom fighters.

If you can not agree on basics, if I furnish that letter, no point🙂.

As for the idi0t Amigos, he has no clue.

4 hours ago, maakhiri1 said:

You think there was no nationalism, only interest of clans??, you have to go back and get the real history,  even if scary and paints your ancestors in bad shape. 

It is absolutely false to say there were no nationalism,  it is true some clans saw their interest with colonizers,  some bend the knee easily, while others fought purely for nationalism and  freedom fighters.

You have to help me here Maakhiri, show us the 'real history' that you are talking about. Anyone can make claims and counter-claims. But in the end, the facts speak for themselves.

I know that I am questioning all that you were thaught from younger age and it is hard to reconcile this with your preconceived feel-good-stories passed down from one clan story-teller to another and which has since cemented itself as truism and no one actually bothered to apply the BS factor filter through it.  

Every clan has their own feel-good stories. But that is not 'real history'. 

Suldan of Warsangali was trying to bargain a little more for his own clan. There is nothing nationalistic about that. Every clan has done it. 

And speaking of ancestors, at least my ancestors once ruled the whole region. They actually done it, not dreamed about it. Emir Sharmarke Cali Salah's administration in Zeila ruled from Tojorah in Danakil to Erigavo in Sanaag to Harar City, at one time. :D 

Probably should re-read the history of what led to Somaliland becoming a protectorate rather than a colony of the UK. It had a lot to do with the rulers of Zeila and what happened in 1870s after Sharmarke's death. 

Again, I am not here to talk about ancestors. I am here for actual answers to the questions I raised earlier.

'Somali Nationalism' doesn't go beyond clan interest, it begins with clan interest and stops at clan interest. 

• Like 2