maakhiri1

Lawyer Jamal assassinated in Hargaisa

First of all, this is a very unfortunate death. I am not going to support one way or the other in this case as I do not have enough information. 

But generally speaking, this is not something that usually happens in Hargeisa. Suicides usually happen by self hanging oneself from a tree or ceilings. But someone to take his own life using a gun is very unusual and I have not even heard that happen before. 

This needs to be investigated as the evidence is very sketchy. The police shouldn't reach conclusions very fast. 

25 minutes ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

Jimcaale

Jimcaale  is very popular in North, specialy in Hargeisa area. Not so much as a first name but as an associate name to the given name. For example, if your name that is given is Ahmed but you were born on a Friday. Then your local name is Ahmed Jimcaale. We don't just give Jimcaale as a firstname alone. 

Anyway, Jamal Ahmed (Jimcaale) is the son of the first SNM Chairman Ahmed Mohamed Guuleed (Ahmed Jimcaale).

Also another differentiator in naming is the "Mucalim". In the South Mucalim is used as a given name. In Somaliland, Mucalim is just a title. Mualim Yusuf.  Hassan Mualim Yusuf. Not just Hassan Mualim.

Not really. Jaamac is the northern version of Jimcaale. Jimcaale is a name used by folks from Hiiraan and south of it.

Macallin, like sheekh, is a title in all of Soomaaliya, sida macallin hebel of dugsi. No kid born is given macallin name.

Duufaan   

My understanding is this man's family was the first settlers of Hargeysa city. Like moqdisho Habro tribes came late to settle in Hargeysa. Originally Hargeysa, Berbera, Burco and ceerigaabo were cosmopolitan cities. Everything changed in 1990 and as land in cities became expansive the original settlers' land was reoccupied with the support of the Somaliland government courts. I think this is the case. This man is one of many Somalis minorities who is killed because he asked back his family properties in old cities which are very expensive today. 

He is the son of the former first chairman of snm the somaliland independence movement   Mujahid axmed jimcaale and he is from one of the main clans of hargeisa  so he is not some minority something happend I think he was depressed something happened his father was a very remarkable man a journalist a lawyer a freedom fighter a great thinker a teacher in Saudi Arabia his father was also one of the first mayors of hargeisa in the sixties 

9 hours ago, Duufaan said:

My understanding is this man's family was the first settlers of Hargeysa city. Like moqdisho Habro tribes came late to settle in Hargeysa. Originally Hargeysa, Berbera, Burco and ceerigaabo were cosmopolitan cities. Everything changed in 1990 and as land in cities became expansive the original settlers' land was reoccupied with the support of the Somaliland government courts. I think this is the case. This man is one of many Somalis minorities who is killed because he asked back his family properties in old cities which are very expensive today. 

Your understanding is wrong. :D

You've heard of what happened in South Somalia, specially in Banadir Region, Shabeeloyinka and Jubooyinka. And now you are trying to apply the same story on Somaliland? kkk Crazy 

In Somaliland, the majority (99%) of land dispute is inside Urban area. And the great majority of these disputes is between family members (extended family) or from the same sub-sub-clan (Jufo hoose). 

The root cause of the issue was due to the Afwayne regime which burned down all land records, specially Hargeisa. This gave way to the raise of the famous "Ku Qabso Ku Qadi mayside". Or just lay claims to it, in the end you will get something out of it (either bribe or portion of it).  The height of this issue was back in early 2000s. You hardly hear land dispute these days. 

Speaking of burning down public records and looting Hargeisa city. If we compare what happened in Eritrea/Ethiopia, it is total opposite. The Derg regime was in consistent contact with the opposition and whenever it was leaving cities, it would inform them so the time for lack of authority is minimised. 

For example, if you read what happened in Asmara, it is text book example of patriotism. The Amhara forces and Amhara institutions locked all public buildings and left as the EPRDF approached the city and assumed authority. 

galbeedi   
38 minutes ago, baala xoofto said:

The root cause of the issue was due to the Afwayne regime which burned down all land records, specially Hargeisa.

Oodweyne,

I know you deflect everything for a man who is dead 30 years ago, but in Hargeisa of 1990, everyone knew who owned what. The city wasn't that big, and people in every Xaafad knew each other. The main problem is back them there were a lot of open spaces, public spaces, parks, playgrounds, bus stands and just open spaces no one  owned, but belonged to the state.

The boulevards were wide open. I remember walking to 1July high and there were open spaces between the school and other properties. As the state institutions collapsed, politicians bought the empty spaces and sold everything. When I went to Borama, I couldn't see the huge Djibouti bound  bus stands where people congregated while waiting. Beertii Xoriyada became a garage, open parks were sold, open wide roads were occupied by make shift homes and shops until they blocked the street for good. The little yard IN front of your neighborhood where children kicked soccer were built. You leave your house and another one is in your face.

Yet, the biggest problem of all is there is no courts or justice to adjudicate cases. Land dispute cases go on for 20 years. But the most corrupt people within the Somaliland government is the interior ministry. A former mayor told me that a third of the monthly budget were sent to the minister or he will depose you with another one of those 21 councilors who represent only their sub clans.

I don't know about this case, but I can tell you that it isn't a Somali tradition to kill oneself because some one wronged or humiliated  them. Traditionally, they get even and kill those who wronged them. It is easy to find out by checking small discrepancies. Anyway, Allah ha u naxariisto.

27 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

Yet, the biggest problem of all is there is no courts or justice to adjudicate cases. Land dispute cases go on for 20 years. But the most corrupt people within the Somaliland government is the interior ministry. A former mayor told me that a third of the monthly budget were sent to the minister or he will depose you with another one of those 21 councilors who represent only their sub clans.

Whichever end you are pulling your stories, let me tell you, it is not helping you.  Qurbaha waa lagu asaasaqa. :D

Somaliland meel fawdo ah maha. That, I don't need to tell you. You can go there and try it for yourself.

I give you that, a lot of public land were also came under dispute. Heck, I know some people who laid claims to Xero-military. :D

That is what happens when the original records are no longer there. Even your original neighbour since yonks - will claim your land. The people whose lands are being claimed are majority those in Europe who left the country and only returned probably after 2000s. And those who are claiming are those who never left the country - kuwii kadiido usoo cabay. Dhul iska banaan oo mudo cidi lahayd ka maqnayd, qof walba waa hunguriyaynaya. After all, Somalidu waa opportunist sida xoolaha ayay isku dabo yaacdaa.

Case in point, imagine the Somali in your own city in Canada found a loop-hole somewhere where they somehow can get free Government money. I am sure even the biggest Somali Sheekh will try his luck and get that Free money. Somalidu way is dabo yaacdaa. Even honest godfearing men fall for it due to "Ka gaadhsii inta aan lagaa xidhin". 

Btw, I am neither going to admit or deny your assertion that I am Oodweyne. Taa adiga iyo dadka kale ayay u taala. It doesn't bother me at all whichever you decide. 

waa kuu mubaax marinka doonta

galbeedi   

Don't mix the good people of Somaliland who have done a lot with the incompetent city  government and ministers. Despite all that they care about their community and are trying to improve everyday.

Cali Mareexaan , the former minister of public works even sold the office of the governor and all the big guest houses built by the British 60 years ago. It isn't anarchy, but the people have normalized these things just for survival.

4 minutes ago, galbeedi said:

Cali Mareexaan , the former minister of public works even sold the office of the governor and all the big guest houses built by the British 60 years ago. It isn't anarchy, but the people have normalized these things just for survival.

Selling public lands and disputing ownership of public lands are two separate and completely unrelated issues.

Yes, the government can sell the land or rent it out or just keep it. That is the Gov't of the Day's decisions. 

Are these decisions good for the country or bad for the country? The electorate need to answer these questions. 

For the  next 100 years, they will blame Siyaad Barre , AUN, Hargaisa before 1990, was less than 20% of current Hargaisa.

38 minutes ago, maakhiri1 said:

For the  next 100 years, they will blame Siyaad Barre , AUN, Hargaisa before 1990, was less than 20% of current Hargaisa.

These are some of the lasting issues from dark chapter of Somaliland. Afwayne and his junta left Somaliland with nothing.