Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

Should we teach..

Jacpher   

Nef,Just tell the kids to say Aggah & Awowgaa la Gub & they will never be lost

Brownie is setting you up. Stay away from those code words.

I'm with Dadshid on this. Wax la shidaa badanee dadka muxuu u shidayaa? We need a magic pill to eliminate qabiil usage all together.

Buuxo   

^^you are what your parents are, learn your mothers abtiris too. your child could live next door to their grand-mother's sister for example(which is still ayeeyo right?)and may not know that. which is a shame,qabiil is fine ,it just depends on what you indoctrinate your child with.

Coded aa? Those phrases are precise as a missile...Waa hubaal inee caruurtas dhumeynin. I will definetly teach my kids the phrase[/i] Alafuu & Sujui :D

But seriously,I dont see the big deal here yaa Jim, Qabil is very vital. You need to learn your heritage in a scholarly way as Xiin said...

STOIC   

I didn't know Qabil was big of an issue until I statrted dating my future wifey.As usual from previous experience I suspected after few trips to the Starbucks she was going to ask me what my Qabiil was .Maybe I was invidious with my thoughts of the question.This girl grew up in the West since she was like two years old.The dearth of my self explanation everytime I meet a Somali girl wasn't entertaining.I caught the bug.I found myself being curious as to what tribe she was from.I found myself in the receiving end of asking questions.

How was I going to ask what Qabil she was? I finally asked when I couldn't hold it back any more in a more respectable manner(LOL).I asked her what city her parent visit for vacation( SOL politcal section of solving the Qabiil quadratic equation.Who is supporting what region?).From this I was able to unlock the security code.She never even once ask what I was.I know the Qabiil thing will play a role on the engagement day, but I atleast for once I met someone who never cares about the whole thing.Even though I am infected she will probably help our kids.

My advice would be not to tell them who they are.It is a disease.Soon or later they would pick it up themeselves.I grew up with Kids who were not my qabiil and not once did I felt as an outsider.I become more interested into Qabil stuff when I came to the West (sad right?).

-Lily-   

I don't think we should give Qabil such a feared Taboo status, which only serves to increase its 'power'. If your child asks, tell them that it's a fact just like any other and it has no bearing on their life.

Nephthys, you shouldn't encourage your niece to get into unnecessary competition of whose tribe is more feared or whatever. No doubt that 14 year old is only repeating what she/he from others around her.

Originally posted by Guevara:

Most of us would probably never go back to Somalia. So, it is pointless to teach something someone hardly have any use for. Being a better Muslim should be their only concern.

That is to the point ya Guevara, Allah Said:"La anasaaba baynhum in that day/the judgment day..... to the Ayaah.

Aslo Allah said: ina akramakum cinda Allahi atqaakum, now where is that qabiil importance, and aren't we all suffring from qabiil shortcomings.

Mise waan is maaweelina !!

Nephissa   

ya'll have a valid point, but lets not pretend qabiil isn't still vivid in our lives. Teach them with moderation as our good Xiin said.

Mademossele: your incident reminds me off a rer xamar dude who visited Hargeysa oo maqlay all these Habro names oo yiri: Acuudkoow, hal hawar aa qatyaan ka taagneen waxaanoo hawro see u heesiin? :D:D

Fabregas   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

You don't have to teach them a single thing. If they're Somali they're going to pick it up as they go along. They might not be perfect about it and might not understand most of it (as is the case with yours truly) but they'll still have a general picture of things.

For example, nobody taught MMA about qabiil. He woke up one morning and was spitting out lists and lists of clans. He now regularly deletes the names of the most obscure of clans if it were posted in the politics section (but up to the sixth grandfather of course).
:D

Anyway, when your niece gets married (assuming she does not encounter any clan issues before that) she'll suddenly realise she needs to know a little about clans (even worse if she's marrying someone not from her clan).

If you really don't want to teach your children about clans then just don't bother mixing with Somalis altogether.

:D:D:D

Faheema.   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

Mademossele: your incident reminds me off a rer xamar dude who visited Hargeysa oo maqlay all these Habro names oo yiri: Acuudkoow, hal hawar aa qatyaan ka taagneen waxaanoo hawro see u heesiin?
:D

lol, reer xamaroow habarayaga amaan siiya nooh :D

Khalaf   

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL@ NG.

Hahaha the MMA bid made me laugh man... but you are rite on the last point eventually people will learn about clans if they are around somalis, the problem is not telling em about your clan or heritage the problem is what is said (blaming, demonizing) about other clans ect.

ps: next time someone asks ya thay, tell em Muslim baan ahey, theyll ask again, niin muslim oo somali ahh baan ahey.....

their interest will rise, theyll keep repeating it.....then ull be called a midgaaaaaaan for hiding your clan :D ....happened to my cousin...somalis are funny cats.

lol@Bishaaro.

The differnce between the man who said:

Abil-Islaamu laa abban lii siwaahu...idaftakhuruu biqaysin ow tamiimi,

And the somali nomad who said:

Shafka lagu fariistan ahay iyo shiisha qoorahe'e :D

Oo [reer hebel] baan ahay rag waa kala shisheeyaay'e.

Is wacyi and proper education. Educate your children about it when the opportunity arises, or ignore and dismis it for your own, and thiers as well, peril...

ElPunto   

Of course one should know their roots and that includes qabiil. But it is to be used to denote and remind an individual of 'special' obligation to 'x-clan' and not as a tool of ostracism or bigotry.

I can't believe anyone answers qabiil questions from strangers. It's just rude and overly prying.