Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

Should we teach..

Nephissa   

If you were to ask my nieces and nephews what clan they belong to, you would probably get a laugh, a giggle, and smiles, and hopefully "I'm Somali!" Should kids know the answer to such Q?A fellow schoolmate of one of my nieces (a 14 year old) told my niece that she's from "the most feared tribe in Somalia!" [waxaan ahay qabiilka Somalia laga cabsado - it sounds better in Somali L0L.]

So question is, should we teach our kids about their tribe as a survival tool, as to not have them seem sambac, too timid or weak amongst their hardcore tribalist peers?

Most of us would probably never go back to Somalia. So, it is pointless to teach something someone hardly have any use for. Being a better Muslim should be their only concern.

Jacpher   

^I'd rather have sambac in a heartbeat over hardcore qabilist with a pledge of allegiance.

Given what qabiil represents in today's society and has been committed, I think it's unhealthy for kids to be taught. If any, few oo Ilaahey u naxariistay ayaa sida haboon u isticmaalaya. Qabiil runs in the gene marka ayagaaba dan u baran doona ee waqtigooda ha gaaraan.

FatB   

look there is no problem in knowing bout ur heratige, as long as u also teach them to respect others and not to judge other people by their ethnisity.

i find it quite strange when people in the "west" think that OMG i should teach my children this and that becouse they may turn out to be like our forfathers and kill each other of the sake of their clan supremisy... i mean give as a little credit, i like to assume that we in the "west" have the intellegence not to follow our grandfathres steps....

Chimera   

Never!!, if my wife in the future even utters the words reer x or y in front of our kids i will divorce her in a nano second and leave her with nothing xaax and disappear with the kids untill she has come back from a Qabiil-rehabilitation clinic(my future business endeavour)and is clean.

lol@qabiilka laga cabsado.

Teach them with an academic touch, i say. Construct a family tree for them. Knowing who they are in the context of Somali culture will neither hurt them nor make them hardcore qabiilist, methinks. It takes more than a mere abtirsi for one to catch the qabiil bug!

Horta dad miyaa jiro gurigooda in aabahooda ama hooyadooda ama ayeeydooda ama awoowgooda ama qaraabadda kale ka weyn intee caruurtooda yaryar fariiseen, damcaan inay baraan qabiiladooda and other myths? In these days? And of all, in qurbo?

I am asking this because I had never grew up or been such a home. Waligeey qof abtirsi i baray, xataa ka hadalkiis ma jiro. Never did both my aabo and hooyo ever discuss that with their children. I am glad and proud to know I only know as far as to the sixth generation, and that was by necessity because people always came to our house, reciting hebel iyo hebel baa na dhalay, naming some obscure sixth generation awoowe.

Bishaaro, waligaa ciyaal qabiil ha barin, hana la discuss gareyn. Let them be sambac or whatever. We already have enough corrupted die-hard qabyaaladists in such a young age, some born in dibadaha even.

Bar Soomaalinimo and anything to do with Soomaaliya and Soomaali that is positive, instead. Show wonderful pictures from the pre-war and how we lived wonderfully, unlike what they heard in these post-civil war and poverty and refugeenimo.

Bar Afsoomaali -- as I do with my nieces, who so far have mastered BTJX alphabet and the difference between shaqaldheer and shaqalgaab. They can even read complete sentences now.

Nephissa   

^Dad baa inta cayaalka soo fariisiyaan subcis ku qaada yiraa abtirsi-giina. Corrupting the hearts and minds of the innocent. Wax ma ogid!

Waxaa la marayaa heer, the diaspora kids ay isugu hanjabaan "Somalia kayga waa laga baqaa" War ileen! I'm tempted to tell my niece to say to the girl, mine spread Islam in Somalia by the sword :D . Cunugaaga kaliya aaashuun kuma hayn kartid. But-se waxan ka baqayaaa in reeruhu madaxa isla galaan. :D

chubacka   

I am in my mid 20s and I know nxt to nothing about tribes, it is a bit embarrassing esp wid older relatives, when dey ask, "who was it ur cousin married?" (as in wot tribe) an u jst ain't got a clue :confused:

I wouldn't even know where to begin wid kids...I dnt think it would do dem any harm not to know. Is it really relevant to their lives here?

I tink not.

Ibtisam   

NEVER EVER teach them such nonsense. Survival, Exactly how does knowing their clan makes them survive. It is the most useless thing to each anyone let alone a kid.

When I went Somalia they ask me to chant my 16previous family names from my dad's side. They were out raged when I only knew four. :rolleyes:

Teach your kids something that will help them in life, educate them to ignore ignorant Qabilst people and avoid them at all cost.

Fabregas   

Its not a big deal to teach sum1 their tribe. As long as you dont attach any kind of superiority to it. You can tell them God created all Somali clans equal and their father is Samale. Qabil is a part of Somali society, trying to make it a taboo subject will only make it more attractable and "cool" to the kids.

Ibtisam   

Somali clans equal and their father is Samale.

Who is samale? and I'm sure all somali clans do not have the same father? do they?

Fabregas   

Samale was apparently the mythical father of the Soomaal. I believe that all Somali clans have the same ancestral origin, however, as Pakistanis, Afghans and Nigerians all did, Somalis made up fictional links to Arab ancestors. This was to be linked with the prophet saw.

Ibtisam   

I know Pakistanis and Iranians have the "Sayed" link who apparently descend from the Prophet (PBUH), but I have not seen a Somali clan who claims any link to the prophet (PBUH) as yet. It is a known fact that the organ of Somali's have nothing to do with Arabs (unless some Arabs, particularly Egyptians, originated from us) Other than the ISlam factory, Somali does not share much with the Arabs. As I understood, we are of the same family as the eastern Cushites or Berberi