Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

Should we teach..

Som@li   

Dont teach this nonsense to new generations, that will save them! If i could brainwash all Somalis, I would and delete this nonsense from their head.

Clans should be noted in history as the social disease which brought Somalis misery, pain and distruction. How many Somalis have died in the name of clan?

Buuxo   

i don't see anything wrong with teaching your children their roots,they should know their abtiris and this will eventually lead to their qabiil anyhow. Even ALlah says that he gave us qabiil ,so that we might know each other and not to despise one another.If qabiil is used for good, your child could know who he/she is and their relatives. you not going to be their to guide your child all your life, and imagine if he/she marrys their sibling, and this is not un-heard of , somali men have been known to marry women from every city they have been to and never return. And the poor child that you knows only his surname ,will hate you. icon_razz.gif . And for the solers that know only 4 awoowes , i advice you to go and learn your abtiris til Aabo somaal.

Faheema.   

I agree with xiin, there is no harm in teaching a child about their roots. The most important thing however, teach them moderation.

I remember one time I was on the train on my back from university and an old somali man came sat next to me. It didn't take long before aanu i tooyan and this is what happen.

him:Adeer, yaa tahay?

me: Ina Hebel

him: Waxaan u jeedaa qolomaad tahay?

me: Reer hebel adeer. (assuming he knows about every jilib to ever exist in somalia :D )

him: yey yahiin reer hebel?

me: Waa i$aaq (I noticed from the expression on him face, he wasn't impressed)

him: Haaye, i$aaq yey ka yahiin?

me: Ma garanayo (at this point, jinac baan ka yaraaday)

Abtirsi markaas baan bilaabay :D

i don't think somali young childeren will be different, ofcourse you are not tend to teach them --- i mean if they live among somalis, they will be judged by qabiil ethnicity and for their reaction to that they have to trablistic too...they are certain countries inherently have tribalistic culture( even primary culture) like Yaman and somalia-- hence you are not teaching them but you behaviuorally teaching them ---like when you say Inanta hebla waa reer habel---iyo qabiilke ayuu u dhashay?...we culturally tribalistic ppl even when you were 2years old you knew whether a guest is ur clan or not from the level of respect ur parents been given them.

Viking   

Originally posted by Mademoiselle:

him:
Adeer, yaa tahay?

me: Ina Hebel

him:
Waxaan u jeedaa qolomaad tahay?

me: Reer hebel adeer.
(assuming he knows about every jilib to ever exist in somalia
:D
)

him:
yey yahiin reer hebel?

me: Waa i$aaq
(I noticed from the expression on him face, he wasn't impressed)

him:
Haaye, i$aaq yey ka yahiin?

me: Ma garanayo
(at this point, jinac baan ka yaraaday)

Mademoiselle,

Most people who grew up in East Africa would answer "sijui" to all those questions, much easier.

NGONGE   

You don't have to teach them a single thing. If they're Somali they're going to pick it up as they go along. They might not be perfect about it and might not understand most of it (as is the case with yours truly) but they'll still have a general picture of things.

For example, nobody taught MMA about qabiil. He woke up one morning and was spitting out lists and lists of clans. He now regularly deletes the names of the most obscure of clans if it were posted in the politics section (but up to the sixth grandfather of course). :D

Anyway, when your niece gets married (assuming she does not encounter any clan issues before that) she'll suddenly realise she needs to know a little about clans (even worse if she's marrying someone not from her clan).

If you really don't want to teach your children about clans then just don't bother mixing with Somalis altogether.

Nephissa   

I'm all for teaching them our rich and not so rich history. Just that the history should be retold for what it is and never forgotten. There will be times when the child really requires to be told the truth and start to ask those important questions like "why did you immigrate to the U.S?"

Ghanima, the stories and myths of a child’s tribe, although not very important, are only part of an education, but most of all it is immensely empowering, confidence-building, survival tool that only be useful within the Somali community.

Pardon me for asking, miss, but you seem to know alot for your young-age. How is working for you so far? What are the pros and cons?

Blessed   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

"the most feared tribe in Somalia!"
[waxaan ahay qabiilka Somalia laga cabsado

LOls!

That line of thinking is only entertained by utter dullards whose uncles, fathers and grandfathers have no skill, intellect or ability to make a name / fame separate of qabiil X for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not of these dreamy neonationalist :D I don’t have issues with qabiil, it’s only what you make of it (be it positive or negative).

I just wouldn’t make a point of teaching my kids their abtirsi (I don’t know it myself to begin with) but would give them the qabiil details when they need it. My parents taught me about my clan tree, when I asked and that was only after I started mixing with Somalis and got the inevitable 'qolomaad tahay?'.

There are far more important things about our heritage that gets neglected.

Ibtisam   

^^You are still confused even now, admite it dear :D

Ghanima, the stories and myths of a child’s tribe, although not very important, are only part of an education, but most of all it is immensely empowering, confidence-building, survival tool that only be useful within the Somali community.

empowering to who and how? confidence building, are you kidding me, what if you are from a really small clan that everyone hates? is that confidence building and empowering? and it will not contribute to your survival at all.

Pardon me for asking, miss, but you seem to know alot for your young-age. How is working for you so far? What are the pros and cons?

:confused: who me?

Faheema.   

Originally posted by Viking:

Mademoiselle,

Most people who grew up in East Africa would answer "sijui" to all those questions, much easier.

LoL, yes a lot easier. Lakiin, ka waran if he started asking those question in Swahili :D

Originally posted by Mademoiselle:

quote:Originally posted by Viking:

Mademoiselle,

LoL, yes a lot easier. Lakiin, ka waran if he started asking those question in Swahili
:DIf he is that old and spoke Swahili,He will probably know your entire clan. Any old Somali Man who speaks (Good)Swahili, is probably originally from Hargeysa & its Environs smile.gif

Edited; Neph, teach the kids their heritage

Blessed   

^Odayaashu waa intaxaan. I remember, the first oday that asked my qolo was like - adeer ma habrahaad tahay. You can imagine my reaction.. I almost flipped LOL

Ghanima,

I only need to know three names (for me and three for her daddy), inta kale waa useless.

If a child needs confidence building and something to be proud of; tell them about their immediate relatives and big up their own achievements.

^Odayaashu waa intaxaan. I remember, the first oday that asked my qolo was like - adeer ma habrahaad tahay. You can imagine my reaction.. I almost flipped LOL

LoooL :D

Malika   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

If you were to ask my nieces and nephews what clan they belong to, you would probably get a laugh, a giggle, and smiles, and hopefully "I'm Somali!" Should kids know the answer to such Q?A fellow schoolmate of one of my nieces (a 14 year old) told my niece that she's from "the most feared tribe in Somalia!"
[waxaan ahay qabiilka Somalia laga cabsado - it sounds better in Somali L0L.]

So question is, should we teach our kids about their tribe as a survival tool, as to not have them seem sambac, too timid or weak amongst their hardcore tribalist peers?

I see this among the kids in my school this almost cocky attitude amongst themselves,it sure is disturbing..I always tell them it doesnt make a hoot of a difference what clan you come from to being a good decent human being.

I think this issue need to be addressed, adults with their own complex issues brainwashing young children should actually be jailed[my opinion]..its child abuse in its own form...why blacken a heart of a pure soul? for what? so they can have a sense of false confidence? why not teach them to be better people, those whom fear Allah and have mercy for others?

If its a family tree, then they should be taught that its rare to find a somali that was born from only one clan..most of us are enmeshed of many clans..why not my mother's father and great grandfather on my maternal side..surely their blood runs through my veins too!

argh :mad: