Sign in to follow this  
Castro

How do you say 'guilt' in Somali?

Castro   

Originally posted by Ducaqabe:

Somalis are not FEELING PEOPLE so those words are absent from our gene & language.

Finally someone is talking about the original intent of the topic. Ducaqabe is befiting the man. So, if we don't have a word, we lack the emotion it describes?

English word for Bal Adba.

Bal Adba = Dude.

As in:

Dude, look at this rubbish they're pulling out here.

^^ :D:D

Ducaqabe, bal adba is my favorite word! It is rhetorical and very abstract.

Markii lagu weydiiyo wax aadan tafsiil badan ka bixin karin sida ; Horta maxaa lagugu jeclaaday? If you respond bal adba? Qofkii wax ku weydiiyey is completely disarmed and becomes speechless.

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

^^
:D:D

Ducaqabe, bal adba is my favorite word! It is rhetorical and very abstract.

Markii lagu weydiiyo wax aadan tafsiil badan ka bixin karin sida ; Horta maxaa lagugu jeclaaday? If you respond bal adba? Qofkii wax ku weydiiyey is completely disarmed and becomes speechless.

Whoa whoa! Bal hold on...Ma the literal meaning ayan ka hadleynaa mise the face meaning of the word?

Correct me if i am derailing[Ala Younis Cadue :D ],but isnt BAL ADBA=And you as well... :confused:

Mise bad cas ayan dhex dabaalanaya?~ smile.gif

^^^ :D:D @Mise bad cas ayan dhex dabaalayana.

Bal adba comes in interrogational form and not used as a statement saaxiib. So bad cas baad quustay!

Castro   

^ Xiin, it's not so much the phrase bal adba but the word bal by itself.

Look at these:

Bal Xiinow, ila eeg arintan.

Bal adaan kuu dhiibee, maxaan ka yeelna Mutakalim? :D

Bal adba is waydii halkay lacagtii martay.

See what I mean?

Jacpher   

Castro: You gotta be kidding me dude. Mise Indian Ocean ayaad ka mushaaxeysaa maanta? And yes, I think we're missing the emotion gene. :D Don't know if that's supposed to be good or bad.

Xiin: Alla maxaad siyaasi tahay. :D I used to hate that word. You’re right it’s very abstract. It meant like don’t bother to ask. It was answering a question with another question. The closest meaning is: I don’t know what you’re asking and I don’t like to be asked but what do you think the answer is.

Brown: You’re way off the mark dude. The reason: Bal adba.

"Bal Adba" meaning and what about you too but I believe is more slang than anything else.

Castro cut the crap and stop claiming something you did not intend at the first place, you must be kidding aren't you!

Mise Foxy Brown baa xoogaa yar ku wareerisay?

Qiiro means enthusiasim e.g. waan qiiroonayaa mar walbe marka aan foxy arko= meaning Iam enthusiasitc when ever I see foxy!

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

^^^
@Mise bad cas ayan dhex dabaalayana.

Bal adba comes in
interrogational
form and not used as a
statement
saaxiib. So bad cas baad quustay!

Wallee??? I am highly suspicious of you goat herders[Adiga iyo Midkaan kale ducomaqabe] icon_razz.gif

I sincerely apologise for a mistake I made earlier.

A public awareness notice pls listen up.

There is no direct translation for the word "Bal" as it is unique and the english language a bit rubbish. Thanks alot! Yoonis_Cadue

Ducaqabe, seems people are not getting this one!

Castro, It is improvised phrase :D . Some one spent a lot of effort to put it together so you can just take it apart saaxiib. it is bal-adba, Fahamtey :D ?

:D @Faarax Brown!

Cara.   

Yoonis, I think you should be a linguist 97st and a historian 130th, right after you are a horn-billed platypus. You are wrong about "eed" meaning "guilt". It's closer in meaning to "blameworthy".

----------------------

I think bal adba can be translated as "then you--" in some instances. Say Farax is razing you about your inability to lift a heavy object. You say,

Bal adba kor u qaad = then you pick it up

-----------------------

Castro,

What about "shame"? As in I felt ashamed. The closest is waan ceeboobay but I think this is closer to I was mortified, implying witnesses to your indiscretion. Perhaps Somalis are not familiar with the concept of internal controls for bad behavior. That's why the closest word to "guilt" is "dambi", which is externally imposed by religious strictures. The English word, on the other hand, might reflect a Christian pre-occupation with Original Sin. Everyone is bad from the get-go. Guilt (recognition that you've done wrong) must then be ingrained in people.

Cara.   

Originally posted by Yoonis_Cadue:

I sincerely apologise for a mistake I made earlier.

Will wonders never cease?

First to translate that phrase gets a quilt!

Castro   

^ Waligeed mucjiso may dhamaan?

Originally posted by Callypso:

Yoonis, I think you should be a linguist 97st and a historian 130th

Shame is definitely ceeb. As in: waad na ceebeesay. Or, ceebtaada ilaahay ha asturo.

P.S. You just had to throw in the original sin in there, didn't you? :D

The closest word(s) for Guilt in Somali is/are Gocosho, murugo ama tiiraanyo. As for the Wife, try Oori, marmo,xaas ama afo. For the husband is "SEY"(seyga,seygeeda,seygeyga)I bet not alot of you have heard of it before. Thats the best i could come up with.