Sign in to follow this  
Castro

How do you say 'guilt' in Somali?

Castro   

Does anyone know? Does the word even exist in the language? Does the concept exist in the culture? The closest word I know to have a similar meaning is "dambi" (an Arabic word), literally meaning "sin". Nice.

While you think of the word in Somali, chew on these irrational beliefs that are involved in guilt:

- I do not deserve to be happy.

- I am responsible for my family's (spouse's) happiness.

- There is only one "right" way to do things.

- It's bad to feel hurt and pain.

- My children should never suffer in their childhood like I did in mine.

- My kids should have more material things than I did.

- It is my fault if others in my life are not happy.

- If my kids fail in any way, it's my responsibility.

- It is wrong to be concerned about myself.

- People are constantly judging me, and their judgment is important to me.

- It is important to save face with others.

- It is wrong to accept the negative aspects of my life without believing that I am responsible for them myself.

- I am responsible if either positive or negative events happen to the members of my family.

- I must not enjoy myself during a time when others expect me to be in mourning, grief, or loss.

- You must never let down your guard; something you're doing could be evil or wrong.

- I must always be responsible, conscientious, and giving to others.

- How others perceive me is important as to how I perceive myself.

- No matter what I do, I am always wrong.

- I should never feel guilt.

- If you feel guilt, then you must be or have been wrong.

And how do you cope with your "dambi"?

Sxb, I never been good at translating words directly from one language to another, may be its my lack of skills.

But I think some of the enlgish senstences you noted down have nothing to do with word 'guilt' let alone be translated into Somali and go along the lines as in similar meaning. (sorry If I sound more like an arrogant self-right person, not my intent but rather accidental).

Does this ring a bell, "I opened my wife, because she cut my leg and entered my oceans"

Guilty means Danbiile in Somali, at least that's how I understand, and you are right Dambi is an Arabic word borrowed from our next door neighbours, not a special case but does happens in many corners of the world, If you do more research then you will find dozens of other borrowed Somali words, may be we should initiate a new topic for creating new Somali words(Erey bixin) and get the most out of talented brothers and sisters, Im sure there few gifted ones in here.

Sxb sorry If I changed the direction of your topic, may be your intention was to challenge others; hence you have answers.

Whatever I leave you to it, make clear thou.

Castro   

^ Besides the legal (and other) definitions, here's what dictionary.com has for the word: feelings of culpability especially for imagined offenses or from a sense of inadequacy : morbid self-reproach often manifest in marked preoccupation with the moral correctness of one's behavior

Another phrase that may convey this in our language is: "ka xumahay". Is there a word that conveys the above definition in Somali? Language gurus?

Castro   

Yes, 'xaas' means family too. Were you thinking 'islaan', perhaps? As in 'islaantaydii' went to the mall? I feel a not so irrational guilt whenever I use 'islaan'. Even if it's for an elderly woman.

Different cultures have different meanings for same things. Some cultures may not even have concepts let alone the word itself. Did you know that for instance sea gypsies of the Moken tribe do not have the concept of Time[When,where,why]. Absolutely no reference to timing in its entirety. You could not see a moken for 15yrs,to him it was as if you were never gone. They dont know their age & the Word When doesnt even exist. Another word that doesnt exist in that language is 'Want'. You can read More on the Moken people Here

Nwy,the word guilt may not be in the somali vocab or it may. I dont know. But the word 'Qushuuc' [if its even a somali word]came to my mind.I would personally use it as guilt.

Sheh: The word wife in somali will be the opposite of what a husband is. If "Ninkayga" husbandkeyga,then sure the opposite of NIN is Naag maaha?,therefore it becomes "Naagteyda".in reference to the lovely xaajiyo. smile.gif However i understand this is a neolithic name for a neo pharax to call his lovely wife. I for one would use the word "Marwo"[i also have a feelin it aint even a somali word]. smile.gif

Ninkayga, it is like saying, 'My man' which I absolutely DESPISE. I'm looking for a word for husband and wife that exclusively makes u think of partners in a marriage.

Marwo is disgusting. Frumpy and dumped on. Naag na sheekadeeda ilow. What else is there?

Castro, I feel danbi for hijacking your topic. :D

Originally posted by sheherazade:

Ninkayga, it is like saying, 'My man' which I absolutely DESPISE. I'm looking for a word for husband and wife that exclusively makes u think of partners in a marriage.

Marwo is disgusting. Frumpy and dumped on.

Lol,Marwo is not disgusting ,if anything its a sweet word.Sounds xalwo to me. smile.gif

If you are not very fond of Ninkayga,perhaps 'Odaygeyga'[Duqeyga] 'Muzeeyga','caruurteyda Aabahod' would be better?...Didnt think so!.HeHe.

Some words are just not somali...i guess this is one of them.

Faheema.   

^^ Castro... Duqdii...Islaantii...Habartii are all used to describe the Wife though none carry much admiration.

Originally posted by
sheherazade

Also, if u don't mind: an exclusive word for
'wife'
in Somali.

Here's a new word for wife that I've heard While listening to one of Kooshin's songs...Oori/Orideydii...

Kooshin

ili qabatey gabadhoo

ilka dabar ku yaaliyo

afku dukhul madaw yahay

oon iin la haynoo

eebyan oo dhameystiran

astaantii soomalidu

idilkood ka muuqdaan

la adkeysan waayiyoo

amal saw

england saw kumaan arag

saw odoroskeenii

ma'uun ka iman jacayl dhabi

durba amar ilaahey

saw aqal galkeygii

orideydii may noqon

Seynab

ifka laba is jeceloo

u duceeyey ehelkood

arwaaxdooda kulanteed

alalays mashxaradoo

ilaa oogta waaberi

ubax duud ka buuxsamo

ilaahey ka yeeloon

ku istareexayaayoo

adba saw

england saw kumaan arag

anigu saw

adiga saw kumaan arag

saw aragtideenii

ugub caashaq may noqon

iftiraan kalgacaliyo

saw wakhtigeenii

oori wacan ma'aan noqon

^OI thats gr8.How could i have forgoten the word OORI?

Magool said it best back in da days cuz...

Asluub badanoo...Anoo ooridaada noqdo ubad dhalaa,il aad uquruxow

Faheema.   

^^ Yea, I remember that song, Just used to sing along...never knew what it meant till recently. I doubt any of todays generation uses such word...lol it doesn't sound very flattering does it...more like habaar... orad i dhaaf OORI kugu dhacdee :D

How do you say Please in somali? and don't say Fadlan (arabic ) or Baryo (begging)

You all don't seem to have a clue what you talking about.

Yes Oori is one way to translate "wife" into soomaali.

Another one is Afadayda (afo) which is the most widely word to describe your wife.

There are numerous other ways too.