Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

Dentist cut fees for women in Islamic dress

lol, true, i'm sporting a dashing chin hamster, and true i could with a discount here and there smile.gif , but surely that isn't the issue. The guy said that the woman *must* and repeat *must* comply with his preference for *her* religious believe in order to be treated. Your pulling my leg, and are too intelligent not to see that there is something deeply wrong with that ;)

Blessed   

I'd go for the discount, I don't need the dentist to tell me to wear the hijaab. The Quraan was motivating enough but still, I'd never turn down a discount. :D

Originally posted by Khalaf:

^^^I wouldn't trust the media, maybe it was a setup to ruin the brothas career? why now, why this woman? Whats his position in the british muslim community, is he vocal? Involved in dawah work? What's his background, any previous "terrorists", "extermist" charages? All good questions to ask urself before condeming another muslim sxbyall, always give the muslim benefit of the doubt.

salaam

What I've posted is not from the Media, just follow the link.

Secondly, I'm not condeming the brother but his actions. There is a difference. I don't know, if you follow current events but there is a very active anti-hijaab campaing and a fundamental arguement used is that it's oppressive and forced upon Muslimas. This brothers actions testify to this, my support of him will endorse it.

Thirdly, when hijaabis are barred from society because of discrimination from the gaalo, we wage the 'civil rights' stick. The General Dental Council happens to have code of practice that prevets this on a universal level, is it just to overlook this merely because a fellow Muslim is in the wrong? I'll ask again, would you react in the same way had this been a gaal that didn't want to treat a hijaabi?

BTW.. He only received an admonition. Which isn't so bad.

Originally posted by Al-Mu'minah:

quote:Originally posted by -Serenity-:

'Mum, where is my burqa? I need to go to the dentist'.

Heh!

a) The dentist asked her to cover her head, and not her whole body. The burqa is a combination of a niqab and a jilbaab (well, it compeletely covers your eyes so it's hard to see). He didn't even ask her to fully cover up, he just asked her to wear a headscarf. I'm sure you know the conditions of the hijaab already. It's not just a head covering, but it is meant to hide your whole body. b) I would expect that sort of a snide remark from a gaal or someone ignorant of their religion (not saying you are).

Wallahi that comment makes me sad. Astaghfurallah.
:(

Salaamullah.
Well, be sad all you want. :rolleyes:

The guy doesn't deserve his license. He is a bloody hypocrite and so are the rest of you who support his actions.

p.s. that nonsense about him asking people to cover their head only makes no sense. I doubt a mini-skirt, head-scarf wearing woman would be acceptable.

Anyways, I was exaggerating. The idea of needing to dress a certain way to get dental treatment is comical. Isnt it? What if my next dentist said he wouldnt treat me with a head-scarf? And I had to take it off? Its a total malpractice and there is no two ways about it.

N.O.R.F   

LoL, oo maxaa la iska ilaaliya? I dont think there will be a need for such 'incentives' on hijaab wear in the home lands,,, ;)

ps any qualified dentist is welcome in Burco

-Serenity-

Salaam, but you being Muslim, why would you have a problem with him asking you to don the hijaab? Aren't you as a Muslim supposed to do all that Allah commands of you. I really see no problem with it. Perhaps she was one of those Muslims who are only Muslim by name (but who I am to judge). How is it a bad thing for him to want the best for her? He asked her to wear the hijaab, which is compulsory. And if you don't like the way he operates his business then you go to another dentist. Simple.

N.O.R.F   

^^Women dont like being asked to wear hijab if they know they should be. Especially by a man. A couple of words would have been enough without the 'conditions' attached. That is where he went wrong.

A women asked to wear her hijab by a man has always been occuring and it will continue to. I think this is where the sticking point is in this thread and the actual court case is but a side issue. If it was a woman asking another to wear her hijab nothing would be said.

Damn sexists!

Northerner,

Spot on akhi! See that is where the problem lies. The fact that a male is asking her to cover herself up instead of a female. If you're a Muslim, it wouldn't matter WHO tells you to wear the hijaab you would take it as someone actually caring for another brother/sister in Islaam. That's one of the many beautiful things in our religion, our unity and hospitality. Shame though, how we see a lack of unity within our Ummah (as is evident in this thread).

Cara.   

Originally posted by Al-Mu'minah:

-Serenity-

Salaam, but you being Muslim, why would you have a problem with him asking you to don the hijaab? Aren't you as a Muslim supposed to do all that Allah commands of you. I really see no problem with it. Perhaps she was one of those Muslims who are only Muslim by name (but who I am to judge). How is it a bad thing for him to want the best for her? He asked her to wear the hijaab, which is compulsory. And if you don't like the way he operates his business then you go to another dentist. Simple.

You don't understand. As a dentist, he applied for and received a license to practice dentistry from a regulatory board. That regulatory board decides what dentists can and cannot do. Probably high up on the list of DO NOT DO is discrimination based on religious beliefs. By telling his patient that he would not treat her without a hijab he discriminated against her. By trying to coerce her he was not acting in her best interest AS A DENTIST. Of course you should go to another dentist, but you would still want to report the dentist to the regulatory board because he's no longer acting within the parameters HE AGREED TO when he got his license.

He asked her to wear the hijaab, which is compulsory.

It's not compulsory for getting dental treatment. It's supposed to be a personal and spiritual choice, no? What possible value can it have if you wear the scarf because the dentist won't treat you, the doctor won't give you medication, the butcher gives you all the bad cuts of meat and they throw rocks at you at the local playground? Conforming out of practical necessity makes wearing the hijab no more spiritual than someone wearing a coat in the winter. Thus it defeats the whole purpose it was aiming for, because now the benchmark for TRUE religious observance has to be something else ;)

There are better ways to tell or convince a muslim female to wear the hijab than that conditional way he chosen. wax wanaaji uulahaa wuu sii kharibay. Illaahoow baxarkan bal ka saar miskiinkan mindhaa mar kale naagdambe xijaab kala hadli dooninee! smile.gif

Originally posted by Cara:

quote:

He asked her to wear the hijaab, which is compulsory.

It's not compulsory for getting dental treatment. It's supposed to be a personal and spiritual choice, no? What possible value can it have if you wear the scarf because the dentist won't treat you, the doctor won't give you medication, the butcher gives you all the bad cuts of meat and they throw rocks at you at the local playground? Conforming out of practical necessity makes wearing the hijab no more spiritual than someone wearing a coat in the winter. Thus it defeats the whole purpose it was aiming for, because now the benchmark for TRUE religious observance has to be something else
;)Well thanks for the essay but I'm sure you understood what I meant by compulsory. Compulsory in ISLAM is what I meant. But that wouldn't effect you seeing as how you're not Muslim and therefore the question at hand did not pertain to you.

I would understand though, had he asked a kafiira to don the hijaab lakiin the fact of the matter is he didn't. He noticed the patient he was treating was a Muslimah and so he asked her to comply with the rules of his religion. Not a hard concept to understand right? smile.gif