Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

Dentist cut fees for women in Islamic dress

Blessed   

Chubaka,

Your diggs have been noted and forgiven. Ramadaan Kareem. smile.gif

This isn't a discussion about giving Muslims dawah but professional misconduct. You do not go to a dentist for islamic guidance. It's noble for the brother to advice sisters, it is wrong of him to abuse his position. It's that simple.

Here are the fine details of the case.

Professional Conduct Committee

Programme of Business

Monday 24th September 2007 at 14:00 pm

Conduct case

BUTT, Omer Shaukat

Registration No: 77992

Inquiry into the following charge against Omer Shaukat Butt registered as of 67 Sheepfoot Lane, Prestwich, Manchester, M25 0DN; BDS Dund 2000:

“That being a registered dentist:

1. At all relevant times you were practising as a dentist at the Unsworth Smile Clinic, 57, Parr Lane, Bury, Lancashire.

2. On 18th April 2005 Patient A, whose name is set out in Schedule A, attended your practice, by appointment, with a view to registering as an NHS patient.

3. You asked to speak to Patient A in private.

4. In the course of your conversation with Patient A you:

(a) asked whether she was Muslim;

(b) told her words to the effect that, in order to receive treatment from you, she needed to wear appropriate Islamic dress;

© quoted to her parts of the Ahadith.

5. You told Patient A that, if she did not wear a headscarf, she would need to register with another dentist.

6. You instructed your dental nurse to give Patient A her headscarf.

7. The dental nurse took Patient A to another room where she was given the nurse’s headscarf to wear.

8. In seeking to impose an Islamic dress-code on Patient A in order for treatment to be provided you:

(a) undermined public confidence in the profession by discriminating against Patient A;

(b) did not act in the best interests of Patient A.

And that, in relation to the facts alleged, you have been guilty of serious professional misconduct.”

http://www.gdc-uk.org/General+public/Fitness+to+Practise+Hearings/Recent+hearings/butt.htm

Khalaf   

^^^I wouldn't trust the media, maybe it was a setup to ruin the brothas career? why now, why this woman? Whats his position in the british muslim community, is he vocal? Involved in dawah work? What's his background, any previous "terrorists", "extermist" charages? All good questions to ask urself before condeming another muslim sxbyall, always give the muslim benefit of the doubt.

salaam

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

'Mum, where is my burqa? I need to go to the dentist'.

Heh!

a) The dentist asked her to cover her head, and not her whole body. The burqa is a combination of a niqab and a jilbaab (well, it compeletely covers your eyes so it's hard to see). He didn't even ask her to fully cover up, he just asked her to wear a headscarf. I'm sure you know the conditions of the hijaab already. It's not just a head covering, but it is meant to hide your whole body. b) I would expect that sort of a snide remark from a gaal or someone ignorant of their religion (not saying you are).

Wallahi that comment makes me sad. Astaghfurallah. :(

Salaamullah.

Pucca   

i dont see the problem with what the man did, the woman had the choice of doing as he said or finding another dentist. His practice...his rules, you dont like them you can just find yourself another one.

if we support this man's stance towards the public now, lets not rush to condemn the next nutter that comes along with what muslims are/aren't and can or can't be.

north, was it conditional on what kind of somali you were? were you asked act a certain somali way, maybe you were provided with a cotton cloth to wrap your self with to prove your somaliness?