Sign in to follow this  
J.Lee

Home

J.Lee   

Where is Home exactly?

See, when ever I ask this question, many answer Somalia or what ever country they're from but they can't explain (or may be they don't give me a sufficient explanation) what makes Somalia or any other country home.

Is it the memories, the place or something else that calls to you?

Basically, where is home to you and why?

OG_Girl   

To me home is where I was born and raised. Where I speak same language-dialog- every one speaks.Where I went school all my life. Where I have childhood memories.Where every one in my area knows me.That is Kuwait.

Being Somali to me doesn't mean you are from Somalia rather is ethnic.

Salam

Pacifist   

When am asked where is home.....One thing comes to mind where I was born and bred that is Rhodesia Aka Zambia.... That is my home I am actually home sick.... but recently I have noticed when I am asked I jump and say Zambia and Somalia. I think that has to do with because I have never seen Somalia but my parents instilled me with the identity of being Somali. I would say that when ever I think about my future. I see myself helping the Somali people more than the Zambian people. I call this Identity crisis....

Where would I live in the Future? Zambia Definate

inshallah

Which people do I see contributting to First Somalis and then Zambians...

Which language would I teach my children..Somali absolutely..

because I remember my parents although we spoke three other languages outside home My parents made absolutely sure that we must no exceptions speak SOMALI other wise we get a beating.. icon_razz.gif outside home we spoke English,Nyanja and Swahili.

This I tell you if you ask me I have different cutstoms instilled in me

I remember when I was back in ZAM, Sometimes the Zam people would see us they would say MOOSOMALI EEWE and then I would say yes MOOSOMALI but I would say I was born here.. and then they say ZAMBIAN

We celebrated Islamic ,Somali, Zambian celebrations But i remember the zambian one I was the only one who did that...since I was the only one born there.

I think that has to do with because I am surrounded by Somalis all the time and my mother HOOYO MACAAN preaches never to diverge from my Somali customs but the heart is where it is and that is where I was born where I grew up and where I intend to live and that is ZAMBIA..

MY NATIONALITY IS ZAMBIAN

MY ETHINICITY IS SOMALI

Curly   

^^^

I'm confused about it...after all we're nomads!

I mean the majority of people in SOL were born and raised in multiple countries.

Somalia/Somaliland to me is just the place my parents are from, so it's where my roots are from. When people ask me where I'm from I say Somalia.

But if they ask me where home is I'll say where ever my family is, because home is where the heart is. So home is London at the moment.

Tuujiye   

Sua Masha allah sis..you answered this question that I don't even know how it was asked to begin with...

Some people are confused between, were our home is and were we are from. Home is anywere with your family and friends. from, is were your nationality is..

To me I have been In Canada for a long long time, but I can't never call it home because is a place were I will never be equal to the original cadaan canadians. Why? because thats their home and their country...So we should always call home a place were we have our loved ones and could it our country.

No matter were you go or lived much as you want in this world, people will always see you away from your home.. you might feel like your at home because tnx god we do live better life in other countries other than our own, but we are still away from home and that should be some thing to use to charge us up so we could one day go back home and help our people...

ms word sorry abaayo if I changed the topic...

U know i'm good at that..lol..

anyways ciyaal kuni kuni ii baashaala..

Sue ilaahey caqliga hakuu kordhiyo..masha allah..

Wareer Badanaa!!

dawoco   

Good question msword. In my teens I would have answered you Holland because that's where I grew up, where I realised the world around me. I remember everything back home but at the time my main argument was that I had been in Holland longer than I had been in Somalia, my dutch was better than my Somali, almost all of my friends were dutch, it is the place i studied, it was the place where my life was grounded.

And then came the whole identity cisis, I had no claim to Holland, I didn't look dutch and my last name wasn't dutch. I still felt at home there, had my friends there, felt comfortable there, but all of these things didn't mean I was dutch.

Now I am glad that I'm not dutch, I love most of our traditions. I love the whole "i kacay dhiigaa i kacay" when some1 says or does something to a fellow Somali. My parents' are somalis, my grandparents' and even my great great great grandparents' are somali. And no matter where I am I will always be Somali.

I know that wasn't your initial question, but the two are interlinked you see. For home is where your loved ones are, where you know you are always welcome, where you belong. The place where you can go back to and everyone knows you, even though it has been 20 years since you have been there, that is if you have ever been there at all.

Having said that, I believe holland to have been my second home. I still am in touch with people I went to primary school with. It is where most of my memories have been made. Many of us have certain loyalties to the places where we grew up. We can have that and still have our identities as Somalis i now believe.

Samafal   

Home is Somalia

Why?

Its the only place in this planet I could not be asked: When are you going back home? Its the place where there are people I have everything in common with, language, religion, culture, and colour. Somalia is where the heart is wherever I might be.

Allow noo qabooji dalka, Amiin.

chubacka   

Home is where you can absolutely blend in and feel comfortable.

That's somalia for me....even though my somali has to improve before i can feel too at ease...

Its funny how eveyone is in so many different places.Somali's really do spread themselves...

Qac Qaac   

Home is Somalia.. no matter where else i being to or grew up to...

Canada has a big place in my heart we shouldn't be unappreciative ppl... so 2nd nationality is canada Ceh Neh Deh... so there...

Miriam1   

I love that question, "so where's back home?" my answer is I have no idea! lol well not exactly, see i grew up in the Qatar, i cherish the memories and i loved it, but its not home now to me, I am here in Canada, i am fine with the country, but its where I live and its not home for good atleast, I would love to go to somalia/somaliland but i dont see a me doing more then a 6 month holiday there right now. I believe i havent found out where home is for me yet, but thats not to say, i deny my identity as a somali, its my country. But i thnk the defination of home is a bit stronger than that.

Juxa   

sa wr wb,

i can understand why some pple are confused with where HOME is!

all of yous are right, home is where the heart is, however, home is where your roots are, where no one will ever question you, where no one says halkee u socotaa, halkee ka socotaa, home is somalia, where u blend, where u fit in, where your heritage lies.

ooh home is somalia, even if i was away million years, even if i cont understand a word of somali, even if by over-using DIANA i become so light.

home is xamareeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey :D

Bess.   

lol....juxa....if diana use would stop ppl from being somali....then the whole woman population here ...would be banned from somalia.....

missy.....u know where ur home is......home is somalia ....its where i wished to be buried at....where i want to spend my senile yrs at with a certain tall person....hopefully at a beach house by the red sea...or indian ocean....that tropical breeze only u can find in our little corner of the world....home is where even if i wasn't born there....my soul and heart long for....its where i want my children to be born at....insha'allah.....

home is where i wish to be right now :D

Jacpher   

Home is Somalia for me. It's a place where I was born, raised & spent all my childhood. A small town in the South called Kismaayo. I remember swimming in Indian Ocean at least 3 or 4 times a week. One of the memory I have is that I got caught swimming in the beach by bunch of ignorants who accused of being guilty because of the tribe I was born to (as if this was my fault) I was around 13 years of age & they told me the sea & the land it sits on belongs to their clan not mine. I should have told them that's God's decision and He didn't offer me an option or a consultation. I knew better not to get smart with them. They let me go otherwise I would not be posting on SOL. Off the topic uhuhu.

Anyway, my dream is to build a beach house along side the seashores I used to play soccer almost every Friday. Kismaayo is definitely the place for me. Ten years ago, If you have mention my father's name to anyone in that city, they would have given you the direction to our house. Unfortunately today is not the same; I might get shot execution style if I pay a visit there. But I hope someday I will retire there and be buried in Qabuuraha Jabarti on jidka soconka.