Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Do my eyez deceive me???

I do agree with Khayr...when you are a sympol of something you should be true to it...

In other words it should be a matter of principle... You are not representin yourself but a whole Ummah... that is what Khayr is tryin to say... smile.gif

Cheers

Miriam1   

Is it women who wear the hijab that only represent Islam. Can a man that is walking around in a pair of jeans and a white t-shirt, also not considered as a symbol of Islam, if he were a devout muslim?

What I find here to be very scary is that people are judging an Individual by what they wear.

Your "muslimness" is not represented by wearing the Thob or Having a long beard.

Yes Yes, one might argue that The Hijab is specific symbol and So On.

However!

The Main Point I am Trying To Make Is That

...No one should be put in such a position, No one should be judged like that.

We don't know why she chose to wear the Hijab, maybe it was cultural, maybe it was in an attempt to strenght her faith, maybe she had a special event to go to and was of low selfesteem and felt that if she didnt wear the hijab, she would be singled out! So Many Possibilities Are At Hand!

At the end of the Day We Are Humans and We Have Our Failings and No Mere Mortal Should Ever Be Put In A Position To Represent Our Pure and True Faith.

Islam is Perfect, However Muslims arent!

...hope i got my point across

Peace (sugar and honey)

Foxy   

Look Fella smoking isnt a big deal and its by choice..mind You its unhealthy for both sexes... first of all who are you judge others whether they smoke or have any other habits for this matter

If You are so called Muslim man then Help men correct their own negative attitudes toward women. Refuse to indulge in insulting comments or incorrect statements about women.

Words that degrade women ( of Nay religion) reflect a society that has historically placed women in a second class position.

Women are worthy of respect like any other human being. Learn to respect women of all religions and learn to distant yourself from the double standard opinion in your head that its okey for men to smoke (whether Muslim or ethicist) and forbidden for women.

we need to recognize the extent to which our values of judging others have shaped and continue to influence religious policy

If we are to create a society in which ethics and social structures are based on not judging others, freedom and dignity,then.......

Thou should Not Judge others……Only God is to Judge

cheers

Viking   

Originally posted by Zephyrine:

The cancer stick doesn't discriminate. It's addictive for both genders.

Funny how Hadeeth's are always waved at females...like it is only ever relevant for them alone. How incredulous.

Zephy,

It is indeed addictive for both genders but scientific research shows that alcohol and smoking does actually discriminate despite popular modern belief. Recently, it was discovered that women become alcoholics a lot easier/quicker than men and suffer from diseases connected to it much earlier. The same with smoking; women have a smaller heart and lung capacity, plus the toxins in cigarettes easily pass through the blood-placenta barrier.

The Hadith Khayr produced has nothing to do with the person as a woman but he quoted it to show his displeasure with the act (he opted for the weakest of the three options). The same Hadith can be used when people discuss i.e. American foreign policy especially towards Muslims. Nothing to do particulalry with gender.

Goonle   

[Foxy Brown] [a society that has historically placed women in a second class position.]

I see we got an up and coming Ayan Ali Junior wannabe. Sweetheart its a terrible thing when u refuse to live within the parameters of womanhood simply because youre in constant denial and competition with men. All this feminism will lead u to a lonely apartment at the age of 40, with no man nor kids. Accept your position in society and ulle have less comptempt.

Nada   

I agree with Hayaam, what gives you the right to judge people based on what their wearing?...It's a shame when people use Islam to justify their criticism of others, It seems as if Islam is the scapegoat of it's believers shortcomings.

Islam is Yusr not Cusr, Take it easy guys!

PS. Didn't know fag ment smoking in Brit lingo? lol....

Goonle ...maybe next time it would be wise to stop and think before you open your mouth and yap about things you obviously know nothing about. So now stating a fact makes one a feminist? Or *the horror* Ayan hirsi (not Ali by the way).

As for the topic...yes smoking is a disgusting, vile habit...and yes a hijabi smoking is not a good sight to see. Laakiin, Islam has bigger problems to deal with than an innocent women losing weight, one lung at a time.

Rahima   

Going by the first post alone, one would be prone to thinking that Khayr was disgusted at the fact that it was a sister smoking, but after his explanation, the brother is right people, no need to attack him.

When you wear the Islamic attire, be you male or female, you are whether or not you like it representing Islam and Islam is being judged by your actions. This should not be the case, but it is, hence be careful of your actions, if not because of your fear of Allah at least, do so so as to not tarnish the image of the faith you subscribe to.

As for the rest of us who have disagreed with Khayr, this is not the only example and we all do it in different ways. We are more disgusted with a police officer or judge who is caught drink driving than say a factory worker, or a doctor who smokes like a chimney than a lawyer. How are we then to take this police officer seriously when he is trying to enforce the law, or the doctor who is advising me to quiet smoking while his own lungs are deteriorating. It all comes to a basic principle which we all agree on-practice what you preach ;) . We might not all do it some of the time and we might not be shocked when a person does not do so (because we don’t all do it), but it still doesn’t change the point that it is wrong and we should try to avoid it.

Muhammad   

waa yaab!

it is always very interesting to see how people respond differently to the same thing, in this case a story.

it seems the sisters took this very personaly! ;)

it is very discusting when the child of Adam is conquered by his or her lower nafs(self) and turned into a slave to his/her desires. It doesn't matter if its a he or she!

you can only picture this once you have disciplined your own lower nafs(self) and reach a equilibrium state.

now i'm in no posission to judge anyone's intention, whether its bro Khayr or the Lady in the story.

But seeing something like that would lead me to question many things about the Human personality, mainly my own!

Living your values?

Rabbi Salim!

Rabbi Salim!

Salimnaa yaa Rabb!

^^^Right on.

Rahima and Viking beat it to me. Totally agree with them. Some people seem to be debating about the brother’s intent and not about the content of his post. It sounds (to me) like they decided to reside in the lower levels of this discussion.

In the bigger scheme of things smoking may not scale high, but that does not lessen the impact of social ills, medical harms and religious deviations it causes. It doesn’t really matter the gender of the smoker, or does it?

Baluug   

Originally posted by OLOL:

quote:.....

heh..how funny..takin off your clothes for a fag)
[/i]
:D

for a second, I was confused there, but then it occured to me that you guys are in England where a cigarette and fag are basically the same.!! what a language!! Here, across the other side of the Atlantic, that sentence would have had some homosexual connotation....and would have sounded sickeningly bizzare.... [/QB]
HEHEHEHEHEHEH olol I didn't think about that until you mentioned it and now I can't stop laughing!!!!!! In North America, we don't call a cigarette a "fag",that's what we call a q-a-n-i-i-s

As for the smoking thing,I can't say much because I smoke myself.But anyone who expresses a desire to smoke should know that it's a HUGE waste of money(especially in Canada,where a pack of smokes can run you $8 to $11) and it is just not worth it.It's too bad I can't give myself that advice when I was 14.

And it really doesn't matter if it's a man or woman smoking,it is equally wrong,although I can understand what Kheyr means.

Foxy   

Qoute

I see we got an up and coming Ayan Ali Junior wannabe. Sweetheart its a terrible thing when u refuse to live within the parameters of womanhood simply because youre in constant denial and competition with men. All this feminism will lead u to a lonely apartment at the age of 40, with no man nor kids. Accept your position in society and ulle have less comptempt......

I see you have taken the issue a wee bit personal and started attacking me agian.....mate say your piece as the topic is concerned and stop stalking me .....

I would be the better mature adult here and wont counter attack your baseless comments.....

peace

Rahima and Viking beat it to me. Totally agree with them. Some people seem to be debating about the brother’s intent and not about the content of his post. It sounds (to me) like they decided to reside in the lower levels of this discussion.

The content you say? Which might be what Xaaji-duul-duul? As some of the others, it went right over my head.

Lets call a spade a spade… the intent and the content are intertwined. The intent is as baleful as the content. icon_razz.gif

Like I’ve said, one’s diin is not negated by their bad habits. So why is it a shock? There are millions of visibly Muslim men who smoke. Infact, the Arab world is so backward; they still advertise cigarettes in their newspapers! And as normal, a woman smoking in public is as rare as the unicorn. Perfect! Just how we like it.

I’m not too fond of posts incriminating the Muslim woman. Sorry.

Castro   

Originally posted by Goonle:

Accept your position in society and ulle have less comptempt.

What breeds contempt is not feminists, it is knuckle dragging men who get away with everything simply because they're men. If you're not a feminist, you're not human.