Sign in to follow this  
nuune

My first time of meeting President Siilaanyo

nuune   

It all started yesterday, 12/04/2013, time was 00:30, or Thursday midnight at Addis Ababa Airport, I knew there was some sort of conference was supposed to happen in Turkey.

Siilaanyo and myself happened to be on the same flight from Addis Ababa to Istanbul with Turkish Airlines Boeing 737-800 Series, Siilaanyo's entourage numbered around 12, what I thought of his Marwada or First Lady was with him, there was nin indhoole ah Sheikh who accompanied Siilaanyo all the time, 2-3 advisors, the rest were Journalists from Somaliland's main government press etc, all dhallinyaro between 23-28, except one old man, all wearing big vests that bear the name SOMALILAND PRESS at the back and the Somaliland Flag at front.

As a Frequent Flyer with Turkish Airlines, I happen to be at the business class with my Gold Elite membership, there were only 10 business class seats available and 5 First Comfort Seats(5 giant seats all seated by some cadaan diplomats), Siilaanyo's entourage filled the economy class where most passengers were seated, all the journalists were in the economy class, Siilaanyo, and the First Lady, the sheikha indhoolaha ah, them three occupied the business class.

Busines Class and Comfort seats are configured at the last minute and any economy class peolpe who want to upgrade their seats can request at least 10 minutes before boarding time.

There were two seats between myself and President Siilaanyo(the only business class seats not booked).

From the start, when boarding started, and people were lining up to enter the aircraft or were in the waiting area, Siilaanyo's entourage were the last to enter the plane to avoid unnecessary long quees or fans snapping the president, that is understandable but most of the passengers were foreigners, the number of Somali passengers were only 6, women with children etc, so no Somali noticed this is Siilaanyo and his associates, and ajnabi hadalkooda iskaba daa.

To make this long trip story very short, I first recognized Siilaanyo's face when I happened to be one of the last to board the aircraft, to avoid distracting him I decided not to bother greeting him during the boarding time and wait until half way to Istantbul, all his entourage except the marwada and ninka sheikha indhoolaha all boarded earlier as their group number were called to make the boarding process easier and smooth in the economy class.

At this point, Siilaanto, Marwada, and ninka indhoolaha ah were walking slowly and getting into the plane, I was just right ahead of them not looking back, we all got seated, aircraft prepared for take off, and soon we were in the air until the aircraft leveled in the air and seat belt signs were switched off, this is an automatic switch off signs generated by the aircraft system.

As soon as the seat belt signs were switched off, here comes one of the journalists who was seated in the economy class, he ran through to the business class, he was a young age and the only person who was walking down the aisle at the time, he approached the president, and before he could say anything, the intercome microphone announcement said:

"Please be seated" in Turkish and in English, the young journalist looking confused wanted to carry on with his mission, then the president Siilaanyo of Somaliland said to the journalist:

"Waryaa miyaanan edeb iyo anshax xumo lagu barin waa adigan ordaya une", the boy looking more confused replied, "haye Madaxweyne waa inoo hadhow", Siilaanyo replied "hadhowdaada mooyaanee mar danbe ha ii imaan".

The aircraft at the time was trying reach to reach more altitude level but its nose was not upward and trying to avoid the Ethiopian highlands which made the aircraft unbalanced sometimes, the boy went back to his seat, the flight crew were all seated, all eyes on this young man at the time.

President Siilaanyo continued talking about the journalist, "waxan oo kale ayey na soo raacinayaan oo sidii inuu waalanyahey dusha inooga soo dhacaya", business class seats are huge and one seat for one customer for comfort, the sheikha indhoolaha was seated in the next seat to the right while Siilaanyo, and marwada were seated next to each other on their own seats on the left.

Marwada replied to Siilaanyo, "khaladka waxaa iska leh kuwa soo lugooyey ee yiri raac madaxweynaha", Siilaanyo replied,"Ma sidan ayaan howl ku wadeenaa hadii kolba dhinac inalooga soo dhaco".

I just switched on my video intercom entertainment to start watching the latest movies available, and avoided any eye contact with the president until we are half way and relaxed, Siilaanyo looked very tired due to the early coming of the airport for security checks like anyone else at the time.

The flight crew started serving first the business class people as they have more rights, we were given little flyers that contained the special menus available to us, first they served us with fruits and Turkish Delights Macmacaan iyo cabitaan sharaab ayyi nooc ah.

Siilaanyo was very tired and as quickly as he had his cabitaan and macmacaan he just had a nap, then after 10 minutes, the flight crew started saying "Sir, Sir, Sir, what would you like to eat", Siilaanyo looking confused and not decided what he would eat replied "chicken, chicken, chicken PLEASE", she replied "fried chicken or boiled", Siilaanyo continued "chicken chicken chicken", the flight crew lady left and came back with two different dishes of chicken menu.

Siilaanyo and the marwada had their food, and flight crew were serving us every few minutes to make sure business class people stay happy and satisfied.

There is a curtain block between economy class and business class, what I thought of as an adviser to Siilaanyo came to the president and said "madaxweyne cunta fiican ma cuntey, wax aad u baahantahey miyey jiraan", Siilaanyo oo xanaaqsan ayaa yiri "ilmihii yaraa eed igu soo deysay muxuu ahaa", markaas ayuu yiri the adviser "Madaxweyne waxa uu ka socdaa shabakada SomalilandPress.com", Siilaanyo replied "meeshuu doono ha ka socdo yaa yiri dayuuradoon wali lugaha laaban ka soo kac kursiga oo uu anigu iigu yimaadey kursigeyga, muxuu raadinayey inankaa yar".

At this time, I was busy with my macmacaan and stuff, and movie, and was wondering what the adviser was doing at the economy class, then I realized it is good to save some money as business class seats can cost as much as few thousands and we are in a recession time.

The adviser went back, can't tell whether he approached the SomalilandPress.com guy or not, but people were walking down the aisle to make themselves fresh and the bathroom.

We are now halfway to Istanbul, and everyone is relaxed, I had one movie already finished watching it, president Siilaanyo had one hour sleep, and he started feeling fresh by standing up to make himself more relaxed by looking around the business class people who happened to be all cadaan and some Arab, Madaxweynaha then looked at me while he was standing there and smiled, I smiled back at him by waving my hand while seated(hope this is not anshax xumo but didn't wanted to bother greeting him fully at this stage).

Madaxweynaha then went back to his seat, then after 10 minutes the Marwada stood up and started walking to the aisle in the business class, anoo ka faa'iideysanayo this opportunity ayaan kursigeygi ka soo kacey and went straight to him asagoo kursigiisa fadhiyo and started saying

"Madaxweyne asalaamu calaykum", wuxuu ku jawaabey "*****aykum wasalaam waraxmatulahi wabarakaatuhu" asagoo dhoola cdeynayo, waxaan ku iri "mar horaan ku arkey waana ka xishoodey inaan adoo daalan ku salaamo ee iga raali ahow madaxweyne magacayga waa hebel waxaana matalaa dhallinyaro cuslaatey oo Soomaali ah ee dagan wadanka Ireland", "wax dhiba ma jiraan adeer protokoolkana aad baad u taqaanaa waad i maqleysay baan filayaa kii inta ka soo boodey kursigiisa ee halkan igu yimid", I said "haa waan arkayey laakin wuu iska baran doonaa", then he said "goormey baranayaan waxan iyo wax ka daranba wye sameeyaan",

Then we continued and talking about Ireland and Northern Ireland, at one point, I said to him "Madaxweyne waanu kugu casuumeenaa dalka Ireland markaad firaaqo hesho", wuxuu yiri madaxweynaha "waan idin kugu iman mar Inshaa Allaahu",

Marwada came back and I said to the president "safar kheyr qabo Ilaah ha inooga dhigo kan", Siilaanyo said "aamiin, aamiin" asoo dhoola cadeynayo, I went back to my seat, and flight crew were busy again serving us as the time for landing was getting near.

At arrival, an ugly scene happened, which was not expected at all, will narrate it when I get some time Inshaa Allaah.

Somalia   

nuune;937699 wrote:

There is a curtain block between economy class and business class, what I thought of as an adviser to Siilaanyo came to the president and said "madaxweyne cunta fiican ma cuntey, wax aad u baahantahey miyey jiraan", Siilaanyo oo xanaaqsan ayaa yiri "ilmihii yaraa eed igu soo deysay muxuu ahaa", markaas ayuu yiri the adviser
"Madaxweyne waxa uu ka socdaa shabakada SomalilandPress.com"
, Siilaanyo replied "meeshuu doono ha ka socdo yaa yiri dayuuradoon wali lugaha laaban ka soo kac kursiga oo uu anigu iigu yimaadey kursigeyga, muxuu raadinayey inankaa yar".

LOL, this is so funny because even Somalilanders accuse that site of unprofessional reporting :D

STOIC   

Nuune, that wAs a good read now give me the confusion pArt.Did the old man got snapped by immigration of Turkey for showing some British passport? What wAs the bust of Activity at the airport?did his entourage forget to warn the old mAn incAse he forget they still unrecognized and there was no red carpet.The genius of his method was acting presidential when no one was watching.

Tallaabo   

Waar nuune I am really glad you met the president. Soo daa warka:) Imagine instead of you if Dr Osman or Mooge met him;)

Tallaabo   

Its reassuring to know the usually large entourage which follow the president are seated in the economy class. There is no justification to seat anyone else in the business class given the dire economic situation of most Somalilanders.

As of late, the President is coming across as being edgy, irritable and uncomfortable about being asked questions about his government and its short comings.

If I were you Nuune, I would have told the President that he needs to take it easy show more understanding if you like, or even better to teach not just the young journo who seems to be lacking the etiquette required for a presidential entourage, but also anyone who he thinks is not following what is required of them. There is no reason to get irritated when you are the President. You need to be like a father figure to the nation.

Nuune, again if I was there, I would have joked with the President about how he is coming across (read classic "Muuse waa kaa" reaction-ism) :D

waiting for your second part...

D.O.C   

Good piece......the most highlighting points were:

Greeting but was not possible at the time

Airplane announcement

The confused journalist

President was really knackered

The food (boiled and fried chicken )

Eventually greeting opportunity came

Small gossip about the little mice who was running around under the seat was discussed aka journilist

First woman was on the scene

Mr President, we'd welcome you in Ireland

Seems the flight comprises for 15 mins max.

nuune   

I will be writing it caawa sxb, imika waxaan soo booqan madashii aan kula kulmeyJaceylkeygi(waa gabadhii jinka aheyd een 2010kii iska baraney Hodhel Conrad hortiisa in Istanbul ee ila baxsatey).

Juxa   

madax weynaha sow lama barin in public he must speak to others with respect, however wrong/inappropriate/rude they are

walee isagaan baratakoolka la barin