Sign in to follow this  
Dhagax-Tuur

If you are not touched...

...as an infant, when you're born, you will die". Just ponder.

That true statement left me dumbfounded.

If you ever happen to have child born prematurely, please do make sure you caress their head when they're in the incubator. It makes a lot difference in their survival.

Just passing it on.

I think you're taking it too literally. If I'm not mistaken, that quote is referring to "failure to thrive/ faltering growth" in infants. It isn't simply a matter of touch as it involves neglect or naivety on the part of the caregiver.

"I think you're taking it too literally" - It is literal. I don't that gibberish you just wrote up there.

Let me give you an example. If a child is born and its eyes are not exposed to light, they will be blind. Therefore, no touch = no life.

Simple. Check it out.

"Odd" - What is so odd?

Dhagax-Tuur;912888 wrote:

Let me give you an example. If a child is born and its eyes are not exposed to light, they will be blind. Therefore, no touch = no life.

Simple. Check it out.

Terrible logic.

Dhagax-Tuur;912888 wrote:

"Odd" - What is so odd?

You.

Wadani   

Actually there was a psychological study done on monkeys to see how important touch was for an infant (infant monkey in this case). One was placed in a cage with a metal bar with a feeding bottle attached to it. The other was placed in a cage with a feeding bottle attached to a fury object much like an adult monkey. The latter monkey would feed and then cuddle up with the fake mother, while the other would just feed. The developmental differences in the two monkeys proved to be huge, with the former developing severe psychological problems followed physical problems that eventually led to his death. The other monkey was relatively well adjusted and healthy. We cannot extrapolate from these results with %100 certainty that the same would occur with human infants, but it does give us a clue nonetheless.

So Dhagax-tuur isn't so odd after all lol.

Coofle   

I don't see controlled clinical trials...or meta-analysis...As a healthcare professional I will say "Iska hadlaw ina iigaree"

Blessed   

Wadani;912912 wrote:
Interesting, never heard of this technique before.

You learn something new every day, young Wadani. :) Not sure if this is what the original poster is talking about though.

Wadani;912907 wrote:
Actually there was a psychological study done on monkeys to see how important touch was for an infant (infant monkey in this case). One was placed in a cage with a metal bar with a feeding bottle attached to it. The other was placed in a cage with a feeding bottle attached to a fury object much like an adult monkey. The latter monkey would feed and then cuddle up with the fake mother, while the other would just feed. The developmental differences in the two monkeys proved to be huge, with the former developing severe psychological problems followed physical problems that eventually led to his death. The other monkey was relatively well adjusted and healthy. We cannot extrapolate from these results with %100 certainty that the same would occur with human infants, but it does give us a clue nonetheless.

The Harry Harlow studies implied that there was a possible correlation between autistic behaviour and lack of parental bonding. I remember reading that the monkeys had erratic feeding patterns, odd breeding behaviour and had trouble socializing with other monkeys. All of that would definitely hasten their death in the wild, but I don't remember anything about death as a result of the isolation itself.

Wadani;912907 wrote:

That just proves we need love and care in order to thrive as opposed to just material things...

nuune   

^^ Considering you grew up at the streets of London and the market at Leicester, maxaa iga shan iyo toban is totally strange to you, that is very strange itself, your lack of exposure to anything Somali is noted, well in your teenage dayz, and now, but have you ever heard of this:

- Waa danahaaga iyo howlaha maraakiibta

- Siddi qurjuc khadija warsame mainly used by women, you say this with your thumb hold against your qadaad or the side of your head like you are killing an injir(lice) or qindhicil

- Qalam jalam aadan faarax, used by men to replly to the qurjuc qurjuc, you say this with your left foot held up like you are taking a free-kick, once you do that, the woman who earlier said qurjuc qurjuc will run away from haraatidaada ama lugtaada kor u taagan

Let me tell you the first one, it is exactly as that of maxaa iga shan iyo toban ah, but with emphasis on the person you are talking to by telling him/her, that is up to you, or it doesn't concern me at all, bal translate that into English, literal that is what I want you to do.