Sign in to follow this  
chubacka

Does anyone remember...

Hooyo's favourite mode of communication. Only until she acquired her first mobile phone in 2001 did she slowed down. Oh, how she was so professional when it came recording cajaladaha. She always started 'waxaan idinku salaamayaa/kugu salaamayaa boqol toban iyo afarta Quraanka cadadiisa...'

Mid ay ii soo dirtay in 1996 ayaa wali haayaa.

Ibtisam   

I hated them- so strange speaking to yourself, and then a bunch of strangers- kids of relatives reading endless quran and all. I was always asked quran akhiri. I use to hide afterwards and my edo gave up asking me. I was very good at it- the whole salan boqa iyo laabta ka so godey or soemthing quranku dheehanyahey.

UZTAAD   

yeah it was good way of communication in old days I our family used to send and receive such cassettes . I have listened first such casset from sister in Sweden in 1996. nowadays you do not need such type of things you have got facebook, skype i phone etc.

I remember those cassete recordings vividly . I also remeber a stroy that happened to a reer xamar guy , he moved to Hargaysa and got married to one of the local girls , stayed there for years until his accent changed, one day he decided to record a cassate for his family back in Hamar. So the family gathered around the dirin to listen up what their son was saying, the father was about to pray and he heard a reer waqooyi accent from distance and he said war BBC-da naga damiya aan tukanee not knowing that person talking was his son :D I remember that too .

^^ Lool at Bbbcga naga damiya.

Very well. The contentment and thrill on my parents faces, whenever they heard the voices of the family is still deeply ingrained. I loved them and since I had no pictures of most of them their voices were even more special and moving.

Blessed   

My big sis used to pretend to be me and you always heard me laughing my head off in the backgrounds. It was always scripted, like you couldn't go off track and ask about your bestie or your neighbours chicken. LoL

I now record vids of my LOs to send to relatives abroad.

Does anyone remember during early days of fleeing civil war in the 90's, living as refugees in neighboring East African countries, when people crawled out of their residences in the middle of the night hiding and made their way to the city to make illegal cheap or even free long distance calls to relatives in Europe or America?

Siyaasi   

i remember this cassette recordings very well in the 80s, the hardest line used to be saying "waxaan kugu salaamay boqol iyo toban iyo afarta" we used to practice before an adult presses record.

this type of cassette recorder was widley used.

panasonic-rq4040.jpg

Raamsade   

Walee caawa sir baa fakatey and I thought I was the resident dinasour. What in friggin' hell are you people on about cassete recording from the 1980s? Who remembers making recordings from the 1980s unless you were... no! You guys can't be that old, can you?

The only recollections I have of old cassete tapes are from the 1990s and my beloved walkman.

Isra   

^ rejoice Raamsade! you are no longer the oldest haha. I remember recording tapes as far as back (wait for the shocker)....1985!

chubacka   

"waxaan kugu salaamay boqol iyo toban iyo afarta"

Soooo true :) and something about the ayahs fo the quran. Hahaha, somalis are so similar.

I remember getting cassettes back and they would seem to last fooorever