Sign in to follow this  
Samafal

Ladies going to University?

Samafal   

In my local Masjid managed by Somalis, some one is telling the young ladies there not to go to University becouse of the free mixing potential that may exist. I guess when I read about Nasra I have mixed feelings about where they're coming from. on one hand, the potential a young lady going astray is huge, but on the other hand no society can succeed and develop by alienating more than half of its population. This an issue conservative and liberal moslems will debate in years to come.

I think the simplest way to debate about this is 'Would you send your own daughter to university away from home'? and what would do about your own responsibilty as a moslem to foster good god fearing, modest moslem girls? and Where does the balance lie?

Aaliyyah   

are you asking our views on that girls shouldn't go to university at all? or they shouldn't go to university away from home? or both. When I get daughters inshallah I would encourage them to pursue higher education. As for going away from home, if they choose to I would allow it. But, I would prefer if they stay home at least in their undergrad years.

If you raise your child well I dont see the issue. Your child will mix with the opposite sex at work, at the market, and etc etc...are you always going to be worried? there has to be a time where you just let them make their choices as long as you did your job and instilled in them their dhaqan, diin..oo aad ogtahay in aad shaqadaada kasoo baxday.

salaam

Blessed   

It's ceeb for girls to go to university, ceeb! Primary education should suffice. Just the thought of my girls being able to think and fend for themselves .. Astaqfirullah!

Samafal   

Aaliyah yes I'm asking you both. Its the ruling of this young Sheikh who was raised and educated in the UK.

*Blessed;811025 wrote:
It's ceeb for girls to go to university, ceeb! Primary education should suffice. Just the thought of my girls being able to think and fend for themselves .. Astaqfirullah!

You're being sarcasic? but this is a real question mothers and fathers are asking themselves. It comes down how religious you are at the end of the day. Not educating your daugters is not an aoption but its how the question given the enviroment many Moslems find in themselves.

Chimera   

I would send my own daughter to university, hell yes! She would always be my little princess, and as a pro-active father, I would always have a presence in her subconcious, there is no better deterrent against shaitan than a parent who cares, respects and has trust in you. It's always the brothers and sisters who were locked up in a cave for the first 18 years of their life that change into Kid Rock and Lady Gaga the moment they are released into the world.

Xitaa I believe our educated sisters are playing a major role in the reconstruction and renaissance of the Somali Republic, the more the better!

Somalina   

Eedadaa ma ahi marka hore, waxaad tiri suaalaha waxaa is weydiinaaya waalidka, marka waxaan ku weydiiyey ma poll baad ka soo qaadey? mise sheeko caruureed ayaad halkan la timid? suaalaha haddey ku dhibaayaan quraafaad ha la iman Women's section.

Samafal   

Chimera;811042 wrote:
I would send my own daughter to university, hell yes! She would always be my little princess, and as a pro-active father, I would always have a presence in her subconcious, there is no better deterrent against shaitan than a parent who cares, respects and has trust in you. It's always the brothers and sisters who were locked up in a cave for the first 18 years of their life that change into Kid Rock and Lady Gaga the moment they are released into the world.

Xitaa I believe our educated sisters are playing a major role in the reconstruction and renaissance of the Somali Republic, the more the better!

Well said. Women are real force in the developed countries, I can not imagine how any country could develop by alienating them. But there are religious school of rulings such as a men and women should not free mix, a lady can not be on her own without Mahram etc that stops many of our young ladies to educate themselves.

Samafal   

Somalina;811055 wrote:
Eedadaa ma ahi marka hore, waxaad tiri suaalaha waxaa is weydiinaaya waalidka, marka waxaan ku weydiiyey ma poll baad ka soo qaadey? mise sheeko caruureed ayaad halkan la timid? suaalaha haddey ku dhibaayaan quraafaad ha la iman Women's section.

Raali ahoow adeer marka. Adigu Somali kuma dhex noolid waligaa maad arkin wax is waydiinaya? Women section lama imaan karo! :)

Blessed   

Does the young shiekh have the same concerns for our young men? Are they allowed to be alone with none mahram females? What sorts of universities requires that you're alone with a none mahram -- not seem them yet. How about general intermixing, on the bus, train, drs. shops, etc..

What environments do Muslim parents find themselves in? What do you mean by ' it comes down to how religious you are'?

Edit.

Aaliyah, had a Barbar from Little Mosque on the Prairies moment there. :D

Samafal   

^ I didn't ask him but I don't think he does. But islamiclly speaking, men and women have different duties in Islam. Moslem parents especially moslem immigrants are in the west where the culture is not islamic, where girls are under pressure to drink, to have a boyfriend, to wear revealing clothes etc. if you are religious person you worry about all of these and whether you are doing the right thing by sending your daughter to another town, not knowing what's going to happen to her. If you are not, you don't bother and you do as you wish.