Sign in to follow this  
The Zack

BREAKING NEWS: ONLF and Ethiopia are very close to sign an agreement

Somalia   

What does "free" mean?

Is Djibouti free of France?

Is Iraq free of America after the troops left?

If it is that kind of free, yes it is.

If you mean China, Russia free to do what it wants, no.

Abtigiis   

We feel obliged to correct some of the misfiring our dear comrade The Zack has done here. :D

1) The talks HAVEN"T begun!

2) All that happened is that Ethiopia for the first time agreed to talk in the presence of a thrid-party and unconditionally (that is without saying ONLF has to accept the Ethiopian Constitution etc etc)

3) A delegation of the Kenyan Government with the offical letter of request from Ethiopia met the ONLF leaders in London

4) The ONLF agreed to the negotiations

5) The Kenyan delegation will inform the ONLF decision to Ethiopian Authorities this week

6) A timeline will be agreed (if the Ethiopians agree to the ONLF conditions of third-party presence beyond Kenya -the British are showing interest in getting involved

On the otherhand, the success or failure of the proposed negotations will depend on the assumptions that two sides are making about each other. The Ethiopian Government may feel they have exterted enormous pressure on the ONLF through the Liyu Police and the Diaspora missions and may think the ONLF is edging towards a exit strategy from its struggle. As such, they may be thinking of offering small political concessions such as political power in the region and giving out some ministries in the Federal, diplomats etc etc. That is the offer Meles made fewe years ago when he sent the elders delegation.

Because that offer was rejected, he may be prepared to offer something slightly better. But then he maynot.

From the ONLF side, there is absoultely NO RISK that they will agree to a deal that will not include self-determination (referendum in 5-10 years) from now. As I write this, we have submitted a POSITION PAPER to the ONLF leadrship and we hear it is fully endorsed. We have urged all efforts be made to hamme out a compromise, but the issue of writing the referendum in the agreement MUST be the red-line that cannot be crossed. In a way, Meles may accpet this time-bound referendum as it doesn't contradict the Ethiopian Constitution: Article 39 has a provision for this. He may think of agreeing to it now, with the calculation that in 10 years time things will change drastically and he will devise a scheme. We don't mind that. In fact, informally, the ONLF can agree to a verbal committment not to invoke the secession agenda as long as the TPLF is in power.If that calms him down, then the ONLF will provide political support to the TPLF and Meles has to worry about the internal rebellion he fears will come from Amhara and Ormos. He will also be happy that he had scored a goal against Isais but bringing ONLF home.

In return, all ONLF soldiers will be absored by the regional government, ONLF will agree to the Ethiopian Constitution much the same way the SPLM did for the CPA. And when the time is right, the regional parliament will invoke the referndum agreement and will involve the gurantors. The very fact such a deal is agreed to by the TPLF is a massive victory, regardless of whether it is achieved in 10 years or not. It means there will be a legal and historical refernce point from which future generations can the independence drive forward.

Burahaadeer, I can tell you the issue of Diredhabe is included in the list of the items for negotiations. And also the lands taken by the Oromos from other Somalis. I thought that was asking too much at tis stage, but the ONLF leadership insist they will have to be included.

On a lighter note, there are suggestions I am included in the negotiation team and if that happens you may soon see the man himself lynching the TPLF goons verbally in the negotiation table. We have suggested at least 4-5 people fluent in Amharic or Tigrinya should accompany the ONLF team at the negotiations. We understand the non-verbal gestures of the highlanders better.

Somalia;768453 wrote:
Were you dropped as a baby? Of course Puntland didn't exist, but the tribes that live in Puntland did..

So why isn't Puntland being terrorized by Ethiopians, and why aren't the people of Bokh region of Somali Galbeed?

Because like some other regions acquiescence to Woyanes demands! And please you have no control Bokh, so let's not get into that. The sadder thing here is you don't see the greater humiliation being inflicted on Somalis. Woyanes took pictures of themselves in front of Somali Defense Depart while they shelled Xamar, the very center of the Somali.

There is or was no bigger prize than Xamar.

Somalia   

I never said I had any control in Bokh, but why is Bokh DIFFERENT?

See, if you had just an ounce of intellect, you'd understand what I am saying. It is part of the "greater humiliation" inflicted on Somalis.

You are still engaged in diversion politics.

Abtigiis   

Where I will viciosuly confront the ONLF and will probably be killed like General George Athol of the SPLA (who was killed by the same comrades he fought side-by-side with months after independence) is the day ONLF tried to carve-out an independent State. We are in this for the cause of joining SOMALIA, and only such a vision can unite all the Somalilgalbeed people. With all of the non-O somalis on my side and at least half of the O's (sensible enough to know the SNM way of looking for a clan state is wise) will side by my side. :D :D

Mr. Somalia,

You are a smart guy. Laakin wax kasta ciyaar baad ka daydaa. Arimaha gobolkan aad ka hadlaysid xog fiican kama haysid. Abduallhi Yususf iyo Faroole oo Ethiopia waa dawlad weyn oon daris nahay leh umbaad ka maqashay. Ama ha waynaato ama ha yaraato, I tell you, the liberation struggle can slow down, hibernate, etc etc but the Ethiopian military have failed to crush the ONLF militarily for two decades now. And they have tried everything:

- Arming clans against clans

- Sealing the border and starving the population

- Liyu Police

-Mobilising more than 100,000 professional army to root out the ONLF

Somalia   

I am honestly saddened that you people see ONLF as a solution. Its time is over and it is the only thing holding you back.

The brothers of NFD recognized that and so did the Republic when they signed the peace accord in the 1960s.

@Abtigiis, I am able to think for myself, I do disagree with a lot of Abdullahi Yusuf did and I am not a big fan of Faroole as a leader.

Your fight with the Ethiopians has gotten you nowhere, absolutely nowhere. The fight is legitimate, it is courageous and the most just in modern Somali history, but its time for a change.

They'll be cheered by the people like SNM is in the secessionist region and their history is known, but when the people are disillusioned and a movement loses its core support there's nothing worthwhile left.

The Zack   

AT&T,

I haven't done any misfirings here,I might just know more than you do about this so called talks sxbkey. :D :D You are probably at where I was 7 days ago when I was telling the AbdiDheere of the local cafe that there were no such talks at all. I agree on everything else you said.

Somalia   

Che -Guevara;768468 wrote:
Cuz it's Ethiopia's little B!atch...is that clear enough for you.

Well said, that's all I needed to know. Now, get off your high horse, swallow your pride and fight another time when its logical.

The Zack   

CHe LOL No! Hell no! Tolka beenta ay isu sheegaan lama dhageysto. They will tell u we have the best history in Somalia, best men, best heroes, best towns and other crap.

Somalia   

Che, I am sorry if I hurt you, but I am just telling you what everyone else is thinking.

Nothing I told you guys was a lie. :)