Sign in to follow this  
The Zack

BREAKING NEWS: ONLF and Ethiopia are very close to sign an agreement

The ONLF, a tribal militia, is more than welcome to represent it's local constituency in any negotiations, however, it would be unwise for it to assume that it represents all Somalis, as it does not. Let's hope the outcome of any negotiations is that the poor suffering O civilians will get some rest from being in the middle of this war of attrition between the psychotically mad TPLF and the ineffective and extremely shortsighted ONLF. They will be the only winners for I can't see the other Somalis sitting idol whilst their future is divided up and shared. Lol

The Zack   

NGONGE;768600 wrote:
^^ Who will update us? You or the member of the committee?
:D

Committee? You think Siilaanyo is involved here? :D. I will update you waryaa as I get more info/allowed to share.

NGONGE   

The Zack;768609 wrote:
Committee? You think Siilaanyo is involved here?
:D
. I will update you waryaa as I get more info/allowed to share.

I only mention what I read, saaxib. I am sure I read A&T saying he might be part of the committe doing the negotation because he understands the body language of the highlanders and what not. Wax fahan. :D

At any rate, do you agree with his suggstion that the ONLF may accept a deal even if self-rule/determination may take ten years to attain? yacni ma ogoshahay in adna lagoo balan qaado?

The Zack   

If an international body like the UN and AU are there when that is being signed, yes I am all for it. The Sudan thing has been agreed upon on 2005 and the referendum didn't take place until five years later.

Abtigiis   

People calm down! NOTHING HAS STARTED AND NOTHING HAS YET BEEN AGREED. Nor is there any gurantee this thing will succeed.

Ngonge, YES we are ready to take a promise and political concessions. The ONLF did not do all things right in 1991 but the fallout was not all their mistake. A firm promise written on a document is enough. Again, there is a risk it will not be kept, but so is the option of restarting the armed struggle, this time around with better preparation and unity.

NGONGE   

The Zack;768612 wrote:
If an international body like the UN and AU are there when that is being signed, yes I am all for it. The Sudan thing has been agreed upon on 2005 and the referendum didn't take place until five years later.

South Sudan was not as divided as the ONLF community, saaxib. What if Melez lets you down? Will restarting the fight make sense then or get as much support? Bear in mind that ten years of peace, progress or whatever else might dampen people's appetite.

A&T, the same questions apply. Surely you need something much stronger. Plus, where would those working for Melez today go? Will you just kiss and make up?

Abtigiis   

We may not get all that we want! We haven't won the war! We look at the situation and accept any deal that satisfies the core issues of our struggle somehow. We cannot dictate the terms of this negotiation, but we also WILL NOT surrender and claim we have got a deal like the Al-ithad (UWSLF) and Engineer Ma'ow did. There is a big difference between surrender and peace deal.

We call the current approach a 'PHASED approach to self-determination'. The ten years or so will not only be about development and prosperity but irreversibly educating people about their rights, so that they never again accept oppression. Iley and Meles's servants have no place in this deal. They cannot expect to be part of any political process in the region. The ONLF will insist on a clean elections in the region and that alone is enough to take care of the traitors. We may not be able to arrest them immediately though. But that will come one day.

Abtigiis   

Libaax,

Arinta soo dhax galo oo talo ka bixi boqor dee, ha nagu eegin cadawga iyo Ngonge oo miidhane.

The hardcore insist it has to be 5 years but I think 10 is also seen as acceptable, mainly because the TPLF maynot be just yet ready to agree to 5 years. The best-case scenario is 5 years, but the most likely scenario is 10.

Awoowe NGONGE waa troublemaker. Meeshii laga hadlayaba inuu rabshad ka riduu jecelyahay awoowe.

Abtigiis, I am a bid worried by the "goverment will make unity attractive" clause. Is the ONLF going to draw a line in the sand as to what would be a permissible tactic to make "unity attractive"?

The Zack   

NGONGE;768616 wrote:
South Sudan was not as divided as the ONLF community, saaxib. What if Melez lets you down? Will restarting the fight make sense then or get as much support? Bear in mind that ten years of peace, progress or whatever else might dampen people's appetite.

A&T, the same questions apply. Surely you need something much stronger. Plus, where would those working for Melez today go? Will you just kiss and make up?

We will see how this unfolds first. 10 years is a long time and a lot will change then. Yaa og if Meles will still be alive then lol.

Abtigiis   

Libaax,

That is not in any document. Just in a position paper we sent to the leadership as part of the concessions we can make to the TPLF once the discussion starts. You see there will be other clauses such as complete cessation of interference in the regional government internal affairs, demilitarisation of the region and bringing all the small number of military in the region under the regional adminstration's command, etc etc that will make TPLF drive ineffective. The ONLF should use the 5-10 years to reach out to the other clans to form a genuine pan-Somali Political party, which will revive the somalinimo in the region. Here, I am sceptic. I fear the ONLF may get the sneeze of post-war SNM cough which will make them feel they won it alone. There will be no progress if the ONLF act like victors and allocate 60-90% of the political power to its members. Resentment will start and the Tigres will exploit it. The ONLF should hold conferences just after the deal is made (if made) and should bring in other somaligalbeed personalities. The O hegemony and 'it is our region' mentality should be confronted by ONLF and changed. This frightens me more than anything else.

To be honest with you,I don't think I will personally be supporting the ONLF anymore if this deal is signed. I most likely will be a fierce crtic, this time without suffering the reflexive charge of 'sleeping with the enemy' and being pro-colonialists. There is a lot I don't like about the ONLF.