Sign in to follow this  
Aaliyyah

Xeedho

^LoooooooooooL....I am already associating suqaar with something else.

Restaurants in Islii and west all suck.

Aaliyah..what? loooool

showqi, I think gambo and malgabad waa isku mid but I could be wrong.

Lol @ Bilan, I think he was serious and che am not sure but i think it was merca area or somthing

The Zack;716662 wrote:
^^Kids? Waar xishoo dee geel beele!

Anyways, now you have been to Africa, did you see what they call "Suqaar" over there? It is basically kalaankal. The Suqaar you would find in the Somali-owned restaurants in the west is what we used to call muqmad AKA Collab.

I've learned yet another word Muqmad=Oodkac=collob (never heard this one)

Aaliyya, FYI I've always liked xeedha fur, I think you guys are taking what the maqmad meant to older generation to a new level lol, am sure more innocent intentions were behind it such as a playful way to ascertain if the groom and his family could take care of the bride. this all woman xeedho fur is new to me though.

The Zack   

Naxar Nugaaleed;716684 wrote:
lol @ Zack, did you really not understand what I meant or were you just pointing out my poor grasp of Somali spilling

Lol Naxar, it could have been on my side due to the long I had at work but I couldnt understand it the first time I read it. It made sense to me when Aliyah spelled it different way. Your Somali is fine bro.

BOB   

Aaliyah...Mabrook...He sure got a gem....What a lucky Faarax.:D

Peace, Love & Unity.

Juxa   

Gosh I can't help but smile at your posts:

I can't fill ayeeyo's shoes/dacas but this is what I know

Shaash is masarka/head cover specific to married ladies, young or old. It is square, colourful, can be slippery or shiny but never see through. If a lady is wearing kaleexo(almost like a wedding ring)

Malqabad/malkhabad is scarf, little longer than shaash, soft and almost always see through. Yacni it is made of material qafiif ah and was fashion accessory. You could wear like shaash but it was not always intended to cover the hair.

Masar/safaleeti/ ganbo is just any type of scarf to cover your hair.

Ilyar was correctly identified and worn by older ladies. Originally it was always black but you can now get eloborate designs with shiny colours Which is worn by ladies.

As for xeero, I doubt the intention is something naughty. Simple xujo/game.

Shaash-Saar is celebration of joining the Marwo-elite and an opportunity for mothers to have fun, display family gold and burn endless uunsi designed to suffocate the poor bride

Ps: sariir-Saar is old tradition I heard which originates from Asian culture. On the wedding night, the bride gets help to change clothes etc before husband is allowed to enter the room. Also Arabs may have similar culture mainly bride gets gift/gold etc.

Some reer xamar tribes do this but it is called Waji-fur

bilan   

Che -Guevara;716654 wrote:
^Oh dear-you ate someone's wife?

now that's why I say men have dirty mind :)

But I am glad Aaliyah will still go thru with the xeero.

Juxa do you think women will spend months preparing this dish just for game. there is no dispute what it meant to older generations and what it represented…but as Aaliyah said you can still enjoy the tradition without thinking the meaning behind it, some people can do that such as A-khadar and others cannot without letting their imagination go to forbidden territories as Zack :)

Juxa;716919 wrote:

Ps: sariir-Saar is old tradition I heard which originates from Asian culture. On the wedding night, the bride gets help to change clothes etc before husband is allowed to enter the room. Also Arabs may have similar culture mainly bride gets gift/gold etc.

Some reer xamar tribes do this but it is called Waji-fur

not as fun as i thought it would be:confused:

A_Khadar   

^ ur really dirty minded as Bilan mentioned..

Juxa must know better all about the head cover classificaitons.. All I know non-color/black head covers in some Baadiyo/tuuloos is for married women old/young and colorful ones for girls -igu soo dhac...

Alliya has no choice to deny, momy already have them ready just waiting until Faarax knocks the door....lol