Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

An Advice to Galmudug and Puntland: Merge.

SOL sets Somalia’s political trend…remember the caravan commenced here :D

In the business world, there has been an increasing trend towards mergers and acquisitions. Many corporations continuously remain on the lookout for potential targets to merge with for their business to expand and grow. That phenomenon is not rare in the political arenas either. There has been tendency for political platforms to be changed to accommodate the interest of emerging voter blocks and groups. We envision the same outlook be adopted by Galmadug and Puntland admins. Instead of entertaining the passé political and security dispositions of viewing one another with an attitude of hostility and distrust, we call them to consider a political merger between them. Our analysts think this approach to be not only beneficial but an eventual political outcome whose delay would only contribute to the deterioration of security and economic stability of the region.

Following are the benefits of such political outcome.

1- creates harmony between the two groups as it establishes common security and political objective

2- prevents hostile takeover that could result in the worsening security issues

3- provides platform for growth and further expansion

In such approach, there are NO victims both will BE victors. It will be a game changer.

This idea is not that far fetched and can be done! I don't think either party would lose any if they merge, rather will benefit them both. We have witness the political maturity both side have shown weeks back. Also when that border/boundary line was mentioned in the first meeting, both business communities as well as clan elders came out and rejected the idea. That tells you how close the common people of the city really are.

GAAROODI   

Interested idea...we tried it out in 1960 and it has led to more then 40 years of failure which we are only comming out of now. Unity is in some ways a good idea if its with the right partner and the interests of both are respected an adhered to however dealing with the like sof Duke and his "addeeeers" (lool), i know these people dont care about unity or mutual interest its there interest and thats it. I think Galmudug is slowly but surely growing, its starting to build an army, its investing in infrastructure and schools. This is why in the long term, it will be a viable rival of puntland which in all respect is a two region substate like galmudug, seeing that sanag and sool are entirely in there imagination.

However, in politics its good to play for keeps, Galmudug i believe in the long run could swallow puntland that seems to be getting worse every week. Galmudug however should seek cooperation with baladwayne, jowhar, mugdisho and the rest because unity has to be built on trust and if history has taught us anything puntland and there adeeer population are not trust worthy, in my opinion. They refuse to give power to a man from las canod or las corey what makes you think they want to share with southerners.

loool, its a day dream my friend in reality.

The Zack   

I think that is a very good idea, not only will it make the city of Galkacayu more peaceful it will actually minimize the clan hatred in that corner of Somalia.

Jammacah, I appreciate your affirmative agreements with this grand proposal.

It’s clear that Galkacyo has been in political limbo for many years. It’s also clear that, from a conflict resolution perspective, the factors fueling this conflict are political in nature. There is an element of history and clannish grudges, but it does not rise to any appreciable significance when put in context. Both clans intermarry, exchange trades, and interact on many other levels, not to mention they share a city. The divisions and insecurities Galkacyo faces today are manifestations of Somali civil war. It’s time for Puntland and Galmudug admins to think outside of the box as it were and engage in serious negotiations to change the status quo. There is no need to divide the city and erect virtual walls. Superficial colored lines would not provide security to that great city. Criminals have no clans thus apprehending them should be a security work, and should not result in political demagoguery that is bound to do more harm than good.

It’s praiseworthy that the current mayor of Puntland’s Galkacyo included the merge option in his discussions with Galmadug counterparts. The only shortcomings his great gesture was that it was Galkacyo specific. It needs to be regional level, for only a complete merger can do away with the hostility that flares up every now and then. Perhaps sufficient procurement to present this idea so it becomes palatable for both sides has not been found. It’s time to rise above false pride, ditch artificial borders for practicality, and for the common good.

Having said that, one needs to shake hand with the reality on the ground. And in that spirit, lets list the challenges confronting possible merge between the two admins.

1- Clannish pride

2- Not-so-pleasant-history

3- Political disposition of both admins toward the large Somali prize may not be aligned

War bal soo qora…waa intaas oo Faroole aqristaayye

ElPunto   

This is neither a good idea nor is it feasible in the short-run or long-run. Galmudug has yet to develop a functioning admin capable of generating revenue and collecting taxes. Nor has it been able to unite a large segment of the populace it claims to really support it. Puntland has enough on its plate without expanding territory and responsibility. The issues surrounding Galkacyo can be resolved in other ways.

ElPunto,

I can understand the feasibility aspect of it, but why do you deem it to be ‘not a good idea’?

Also capacity is an issue everywhere you look at Somalia’s various admins, and can not be basis in my opinion to reject a potentially viable merger. And on the unity point, you do know that every admin claims political spheres and lands it does not practically control. Puntland, Somaliland and TFG are examples of entities that habitually make such political claims, and I don’t think it warrants any consideration when talking examining strategies like this one. It will eventually come down to clan loyalties, and who resides what part of what land, not which admin has presence on which borders.

Please elucidate practical ways two primitive admins can manage, collect revenues, and maintain security of a single town!

I am willing to listen.

ElPunto   

^It is not a good idea because there is not a common political basis that would justify such a merger. The creation of Puntland was a grassroots movement that took time and thought. And look at how many deficiencies there still are. What you are proposing here is highlevel chess game of moving pieces. It simply is not a reflection of the reality on the ground.

To be quite honest as to capacity - there is a difference in the 2 entities. Capacity entails responsibility. Ultimately you need to be able to carry out your responsibilities well before taking on new responsibilites. As to Galkacyo and its security issues - why not ask the folks in Ceerigabo how they solve their issues? I don't think folks in Galkacyo are less primitive than they are.

Erigavo is the wrong model for Galkacyo. In Erigavo one party dominated on the other. The conflict there has not been resolved. It has been temporarily settled. Note the difference awoowe.

The reality on the ground includes one city that is unnecessarily divided. The root cause of Galkacyo insecurity is the lack of political unity as it’s practically impossible for parallel admins to function in one city. So unless you are in favor of the status quo, you need to entertain other ideas, this one included. What we are saying is Galkacyo does not need to be a frontline it has been for last twenty years.

Got to go now...i will come insha Allah Monday.

ElPunto   

It seems to me then the more sensible proposal is looking at ways of politically uniting the city rather than entire regions. Why not start there?

UZTAAD   

I don’t agree the merging of the two admins but the better suggestion is what should be done about baraxley. Should it go to galmudug side or puntland . I think the better option is that city should be united under puntland control . galmudug can have their own capital some where Hobyo.

Galkacyu is one city, the cities airport, markets, both check points south and North come under Puntland state.

All the main districts come under Puntland, only Baraxlay or parts of Wadajir comes under what is termed as Galmudug.

Now what is merging? A state that covers the whole North East of Somalia and a single sub clan?

The future for Galkacyu is to be like Kansas city, a city with two states, two police forces, working to maintain order with a common goal of protecting all the population living in peace.

The local clans should hold a conference to work out the security, so as to not have any further confusion. The political reality is, Galkacyu will remain Puntland State's second largets city and second economic cash cow, regardless of what many want.

Galmudug need to look to central Somalia, to join Galgadudd, Hiiraan & Lower Shabbele in a new union and a new state comparable to Puntland.

Samafal   

Its good idea and It would convince many people who oppose federalism on the grounds that its a tribalistic and divisve. However, when you say Galmudug do you mean South Galkio or it includes the whole of South Mudug and Galgadud? is that feasible?

ANWAR   

Originally posted by General Duke:

Galmudug need to look to central Somalia, to join Galgadudd, Hiiraan & Lower Shabbele in a new union and a new state comparable to Puntland.

GOOD IDEA BUT :( it is not easy as you think my friend :(

Puntland & Somaliland were not easy accomplishment thus nothing is easy a new state in central Somalia based on cultural understanding will prevail. The proud sub clan of south Mudug will be marginal in Puntland while they could lead the new state. What's he choice for them?