Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

Edna Aden Ismail and her terrorist threats against Sool

Taleexi   

Edna Aden Ismail and her terrorist threats against Sool

Mohsin Mahad

January 13, 2006

Marwo Edna Aden Ismail, the foreign minister of the regional administration of Somaliland, has come to acquire notoriety for her serial blunders in the world of foreign affairs in which she still remains a novice. It is amazing that the secessionists who spare no effort to solicit recognition have put all their eggs in her shaky basket. With her at the helm in the key ministry that is supposed to deal with the outside world, she often occupies herself playing to the local gallery and saying outlandish statements that may appeal to the crowd but will do nothing to further their doomed aspiration. Judging by her latest outburst and her usual unbridled demagogy, she is certainly a danger to Somalia and the region.

Edna Aden Ismail - Somaliland Minister of Foreign Affairs

As reported by WardheerNews, Marwo Edna has given a dire warning against a recent deal between Somalia’s Puntland Regional Administration and an Australian company which wishes to prospect for mineral resources in the Puntland regions of Sool. For her and her fellow secessionists who are warped in their world of fantasy and make-believe, these regions are not part of Somalia but belong to their self-styled Somaliland, a region other Somalis and the rest of the world see as the North West region of Somalia.

Ms Edna Ismail was trained in Britain as a nurse and later on joined WHO’s regional office in Alexanderia. While no one can question her competence as a nurse, her understading of the Somali culture and heritage, in terms of its clan structurte, as well as her knowledge of other parts of the United Nations and in particular the UN charter and international relations, seem to be no better than that of the ordinary man or woman in the streets of Hargeisa. In claiming Sool and Sanaag, this is what she has said in Somali at a press conference in Hargeisa:

“waxaanu ogaannay in markii taariikhdu ahayd 18/10/2005, ay dawlad goboleedka ******teeniya ee waqooyiga Soomaaliya, ay heshiis la gashay shirkad Australian ah oo la yidhaahdo Range Resources Limited. Heshiiskaas oo shirkaddaas ruqsad u siiyay inay ka baadhato macdan iyo Baatrol, meelo ka mid ah Somaliland oo ay ka mid yihiin gobolada Sool iyo Sanaag, sida ku cad khariidada ay *********** iska samaysatay.

â€

Then she spells out her justification for their claim to Sool and Sanaag:

"Waxaan halkan ku cadaynayaa in Jamhuuriyadda Somaliland ay leedahay xuduud Caalamku aqoonsan yahay oo ku salaysan xuduudihii Isticmaarka ee xadiday xuduudaha dalalka Afrika oo dhan. Waxa kuwaas ka mid ah dalkii uu Talyaanigu gumaysan jiray ee loo yaqaanay ‘La Somalia Italiana’, iyo dalkii Ingiriisku illaalin jiray ee ahaa ‘Somaliland Protectorate. Xuduudahaas oo ka wada diiwaan gashan Xarunta Ururka Qaramada Midoobay (United Nations). Waxa kale oo dhigaya inaan la bedeli Karin xuduudaha dalalka Afrika Sharciga Ururka Dalalka Africa(Organization of African Unity, iyo ka African Union.)â€.

Her claim that Somaliland’s borders are based on the boundaries inherited from the former colonial powers and that these borders are recognized by the international commuinity, in particular the United Nations, the former Organization for African Unity and its successsor the current African Union, is simply preposterous. Who are those countries among the international community that are supposed to have recognized Somaliland’s borders? When did the UN, the OAU or the African Unioin recognize Somaliland’s borders as Edna claims? Since all her claims are baseless, Marwo Edna must obviously be indulging in fairy tales. Like the rest of her fellow secessionists, her claims and justifications are typically Orwellian double speak: when the unreal is presented as real and lies as truth. When the Minister speaks like this, she may win plaudits among the mob that are fed all this crude propaganda but such travesty of the facts will not cut much ice with the rest of the world who recognize Puntland as consisting of its various constituent parts including Sool and Sanaag.

Like most other secessionists, Marwo Edna’s statement exhibits her obsessive xenophopia towards the ********** and to see their invisible mischievous hands always behind every action freely taken by others. What is conspicuous in her statement is her contemptuous denial of the existence of the clans who inhabit in Sool, Eastern Sanaag and Cayn, namely the Dhulbahnata and Warsangeli. And even if their existence is grudgingly acknowledged at other times, they are seen as either belonging to Somaliland whether they like or not or else as a territory grabbed from Somaliland by the “perfidious†********** . For her and the secessionists generally, only ********** exists but not Puntland. What more effrontery could you have towards us in Sool, Eastern Sanaag and Cayn than the denial of our existence and our mastry of our own destiny and regions? If we were to join the secessionists they would have hailed us as honourable, patriotic Somalilanders. But to join the ********** to form Puntland that is something else. Theirs is typically a perverted logic in which they can claim the right to bond together as clan but would deny the same right to others who also wish to form their own clan-based regional administration as the Puntland Regional Administration entails. As the saying goes, what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander and hence what is right for the ***** is right for other clans.

Having claimed Sool, Eastern Sanaag and Cayn, Marwo Edna then plunges into the uncharted world of terrorism with a bloodcurdling threat against the Australian company that is the subject of the deal. This is what she has to say:

“Waxaanu digniin culus siinaynaa shirkadaha Shisheeye ee heshiisyada been beenta ah loo saxeexo inaanay xuduuda Somaliland soo geli Karin, waxna ka baadhi Karin, una soo dirsan Karin sahan. Haddii ay yeelaanna aanu ka qaadayno tallaabooyinka ku haboon. Kuwaas oo halis gelin doona xasiloonida iyo degenaanshaha Geeska Afrika, kana lumin doona hanti wixii ay shirkadahaasu dalkayaga sharci darro ku soo geliyeen."

Claiming Sool and invading it was bad enough for those of us from the area but to threaten dire actions against foreign firms as she did is to go over the top: Her threats are clearly tantamount to planned acts of terrorism. Whether such threats are implemented or not is irrelevant. What is important is that it was made. It gives a clear signal to any individual secessionist to engage in acts of terrorism now or in the future believing that he or she has the blessing of their government.

Both the Australain Company, through their government, and the appropriate minister in the Transitional Federal Government of Somalia should report Marwo Edna’s terrorist threats to concerned countries of the international community. Her president and his government should also be held equally responsible unless they can publicly distance themselves from her outburst.

Marwo Edna could plunge the region into a disastrous war. That is the last thing we need after 15 years of civil war and suffering in Somalia. Nothing could be better for all concerned than putting her in charge of Hargeisa hospital where her undoubted expertise will be highly appreciated. In the meantime, it behoves us - those of us in Sool ,Sanaag sand Cayn - to speak up for ourselves, loudly and clearly, and state whether we are an appendage of [qabiil's name] or an independent people who freely chose their destiny in July 1960 to be part and parcel of Somalia for ever and ever.

Mohsin Mahad

E-Mail:mohsinmahad@yahoo.co.uk

source: Edna Aden Ismail and her terrorist threats against Sool

Waxaa soo guurineysid ka tir tir all references to qabiil names intaadan soo guurin, baliis.

[ January 13, 2006, 04:06: Message edited by: Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar ]

Taleexi   

I think it is about time that Marwo Edna needs seriously to reconsider her position regarding who her subjects are and who aint! Because I've been observent about her political statements for some time and so often her remarks are not reflecting the reality on the ground. In addition, she emulates to exercise an authority which is beyond her scope therefore I am afraid that she may cross the redline inadvertently and then subsequent detrimental events may be triggered.

Gabbal   

Waxa kale oo dhigaya inaan la bedeli Karin xuduudaha dalalka Afrika Sharciga Ururka Dalalka Africa

Irony of Ironies! Isn't that why Ms. Aden is left howling to the wind?

Ereygaan "terrorism[t]" waa in qoraalada Soomaalida laga rookeeyaa. Isticmaalkiis milaa yacni uu noqday. The author wuxuu la qeylinaayo ayaan kasi waaye; I am sure had Sool & Sanaag declared the independence, this same author would have be singing different tune.

Anyway, markaan tan aqriye ayaaba iska qosolsiisay:

"Waxa kuwaas ka mid ah dalkii uu Talyaanigu gumaysan jiray ee loo yaqaanay ‘La Somalia Italiana’, iyo dalkii Ingiriisku illaalin jiray ee ahaa ‘Somaliland Protectorate."

Talyaaniga wixiisa "gumeysi" ayee ahayd, haye? Kii Ingiriiskana? "Ilaalin." Kii Faransiiskana? Jacburis?

Eebboow hana waalin.

Teeda kalena, hadana iyadaa shirqool isku rideyso when she says:

Xuduudahaas oo ka wada diiwaan gashan Xarunta Ururka Qaramada Midoobay (United Nations). Waxa kale oo dhigaya inaan la bedeli Karin xuduudaha dalalka Afrika Sharciga Ururka Dalalka Africa(Organization of African Unity, iyo ka African Union.)

Sax. Waa ku raacsanahay. Xuduudaha dalalka Afrika in aan la badali karin, sida uu dhigaayo sharciga Midowga Afrika. Hadeeba saas og tahay, markii sharcigaas lasoo saaraaye Waqooyi iyo Koonfur wee mideysnaayeen. Hadii wax la badalaayo Soomaali Galbeed iyo NFD ayaa dalka lagu soo daraa, sidee Soomaali aaminsantahay.

Talyaaniga wixiisa "gumeysi" ayee ahayd, haye? Kii Ingiriiskana? "Ilaalin." Kii Faransiiskana? Jacburis?

I remember you using the Wikipedia service, well I think this might be of useful to your question.

Sax. Waa ku raacsanahay. Xuduudaha dalalka Afrika in aan la badali karin, sida uu dhigaayo sharciga Midowga Afrika. Hadeeba saas og tahay, markii sharcigaas lasoo saaraaye Waqooyi iyo Koonfur wee mideysnaayeen. Hadii wax la badalaayo Soomaali Galbeed iyo NFD ayaa dalka lagu soo daraa, sidee Soomaali aaminsantahay.

The article in which Marwo Edna Aden is refering to calls for the "respect for the borders inherited from colonialism".

As far as that is concerned, the borders Somaliland inherited from colonialism were those that existed on the night of 26th of June 1960.

Markaa waxaas qoraaye, I knew about this "protectorate" business, and for that matter, it was discussed here some years ago.

However, the essential central fact remains: "protectorate" was just a fancy coinage given by British colonialists. Nothing substantial distinguished it from what we Soomaalis termed gumeysi. It was just a paper-thin official name, masquerading as a humatarian cause to subject our people to their will. What was other excuses often cited by other colonialists, especially by the British. Oh, yeah, "white man's burden" to civilize the "savageness" out of other races.

Kipling, hello.

The essential, substantial fact, lest we missed again, remains: Gumeysi is gumeysi, regardless how sugar-coat terms colonialists may have called. As a proud people, we should recognize gumeysi being one of the shameful events of our past. No need to distinguish gumeysi.

While we are at this "protectorate" issue, what exactly, pray tell, were they "protecting?" Who were they "protecting" when they air-bombed Soomaalis in Taleex and other places?

What were they "protecting" when they awarded the Hawd plains to Haile Selassie's?

Hmm...some "protection," indeed.

Xarago   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

While we are at this "protectorate" issue, what exactly, pray tell, were they "protecting?"

Wadh yahee kaga yar oo hada koofida la siyaay waad hadal badhatey huuno..

:D

I dont assume there were any colonial forces that were protecting the countries they were colonising, but it was actually called British Protectorate of Somaliland. I just wish they continued their 'protection' for three or more years then may be history and faith would have been fair on us and thus the 'bloody union' would have not occured at all.

Well, Mr. Miskiinka, if what you want is going beneath the skin, then we can debate generally as to whether a Protectorate is just an exotic name of the much loathed colonialism, or whether there is a difference. That is for another topic don't you think? (Go ahead and open that thread for us, aanu isla jeexjeexne) :D

On the whole I agree "Gumaysi is Gumaysi". But what is "Gumaysi"? In my opinion, if you can not have a say in the leadership of your country, then that qualifies to be labeled as a form of "Gumaysi". This includes colonialists, occupationists, protectorate, and also the more subtle and somewhat accepted variation which includes dictators, self appointed leaders, warlords and what have you, the terrorists etc.

In sum, any leadership passionately loathed by the people, could potentially be described as a form of "Gumaysi". It doesn't necessarily mean only foreigners.

To the extent these differ, again its debatable.

While we are at this "protectorate" issue, what exactly, pray tell, were they "protecting?" Who were they "protecting" when they air-bombed Soomaalis in Taleex and other places?

I remember them bombing a warlord and his thugs in their hideouts.

What were they "protecting" when they awarded the Hawd plains to Haile Selassie's?

This is one of the issues that the union f*cked up. I believe, had Somaliland been an independent nation of its own, the Hawd plains could have been "legally" recovered.

Castro   

^ Suldaanka, it seems as though two, similarly themed, topics are going on at the same. It would be educational to have a thread that focuses solely on the "gumeysi". I'm trying to keep one alive over yonder and would be glad to have you honor us with a visit. I'm still in good company (for the most part) but good Tolstoy bailed on me as I could have used on of his interesting replies right about now. :D

Originally posted by Suldaaanka:

What a pregnant statement that is good Suldaan. Care to expound on it?

^^ :D

Good Castro,

I've been following that thread with keen interest myself, but I think you guys are doing a gr8 job there. I will participate when I think I have something to add.

But go easy on Miss Vinus ;)

What a pregnant statement that is good Suldaan. Care to expound on it?

Ah.. that is a long story my friend. But as they say "Wad wadi mayne, wala daalin uun dheh"... :D

Castro   

That's cool. Do keep an eye out for that thread.

But go easy on Miss Vinus
;)

Who's that? Is that Xarago? I honestly thought it was a dude. Walaahi. Nonetheless, I shall forgive and start a new page. I'm that kinda guy, you know. ;)

^^Ayyaan-darro iyo aragti-gaabni isbiirsaday dheh.

Warafkuba marbuu tuuryada gefaa taako leelaha'e

Geesigii tilmaannaa marbaa fulay u tookhaaye'e

Nimmaan adiga kugu toosin baa kuu takhaashuma'e

---shakes his head-----

Taag niman lahayn iyo agoon buu ka taajiraye

Safar waa la taakulin jiree lama tayiiseyne

Isna turuqyaduunbuu jaraa timirta cuurtaaye

Tacabkii ba' waa sida Fircoon tab iyo diinaade

Isagaba Badbaa lagaga tegey naarna lagu tuurye

Kanna taakadaas baw hadhoo waa tukubayaaye

Ha targaafo sida Towja geel Tuurin baw qorane

Perhaps you may recognise the man below. Its Hajji Musa Farah Iggare (Better known as Ina Iggare). Waa ninkii xaaraantii uu ka dhergay ka soo matajiyey hadh cad, naagihii u tobantobanka guryaha ku xaraysanjirayna ka xoreeyey.

Major_Haji_Musa_farah1855-1933.jpg

^^And whose Major was he? An enlisted native for the British rule to safeguard the interest of the Whiteman’s colony? And how proud are you, good Suldaan? Malaha you are still mourning for Koofil’s demise as well! Oh how sad.

I think time is ripe to describe the likes of you and other secessionists for what they are; a ruined-bunch who are still longing with nostalgia for the darkest era of African history.

But realize, good Suldaan, that history has been nice to the Great Syed while Ina-egare (I don’t remember him to be honest) and his likes vanished in the heap ashes of Somali history. To be sure Syed was not a perfect leader. But time has proven him right. His vision has fully materialized and the nation he long hoped has born. Though there isn’t much to be proud of today, still I find a reposing ground in that congratulatory lyrics that was composed for him:

Allow yaa darwiishkii salaan dabacsan gaarsiiya

Allow ayaa dalkaagii yiraa dowladnimo qaaday

Allow yaa dabaal-deg iyo farax kala dul geeraara!