Sign in to follow this  
Coloow

Abusing academic titles has become a common somali trait

Originally posted by [Waranle]:

I know Dr. Sharmarke is not a doctor of anything- not even a witchdoctor(honourary or not). He has a master's degree in political science (the least prestigious field in the social sciences).

Abstract international data base contains no "reported degree" for Mr. ****ole, yalaxow or Cambaro.

This is very shameful, using academic titles that you did not earn don't you think?

Maryooley meexey ka garaneysa Poli Sci? Political Science is a Social Behavioral science along with other fields like journalism, economics, anthropology, sociology, geography... Now how on earth did you determine that Political Science is the least prestigious. Perhaps you did not realize that most law school student's undergrad was Poli Sci. Or that most of the leaders of these country have a backround in Law and Poli Sci. Just because we Somalis make a national pastime does not mean its less "prestigious" anything else out there.

Another thing, Ph.D Means Doctor of Philosophy, that means there are people out there who are doctors not necessarily working in hospitals. Gosh

Juje   

For the record PM Cumar Cabdirashid has never added the prefix Dr. before his name - however if Somali internet news portals chose to do so I dont think you can blame him.

Having said that I remember in Somalia people used to be called 'dattore' even after getting a degree from Lafole College of Education, thus it is common in our society to choose the title for you . But am quite certain that the PM does not use such title.

^ OK injineere! ;)

Yaa soomali aheeno title abuse-gareeye, hadda waxaa nagu soo badanosa PHD & DR. title-ka Eng. iskaba daa horaa lasoo ba'shay. Kii hal maalin meel cashar engineering ka soo qaatay ama soo taagnaa wuxu la soo istaagaan injineer baan ahay ee iigu wac ama haddii aad ugu wici weyso waa laguu xanaqaa. yaabnay!

Aaliyyah   

Naxar, well said brother.

It's time that you folks realize that we somalis need to unite for the good of our people.

This government is just it, I feel it. Why can not the rest of you?

check out this inspiring wadani song,

Xagee Soomaliyeey...

ilaahay ka baqa oo wixi dadkiina u dan ah ka fakara walaalayaal!

salaam

Coloow   

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

quote:Originally posted by [Waranle]:

I know Dr. Sharmarke is not a doctor of anything- not even a witchdoctor(honourary or not). He has a master's degree in political science (the least prestigious field in the social sciences).

Abstract international data base contains no "reported degree" for Mr. ****ole, yalaxow or Cambaro.

This is very shameful, using academic titles that you did not earn don't you think?

Maryooley meexey ka garaneysa Poli Sci? Political Science is a Social Behavioral science along with other fields like journalism, economics, anthropology, sociology, geography... Now how on earth did you determine that Political Science is the least prestigious. Perhaps you did not realize that most law school student's undergrad was Poli Sci. Or that most of the leaders of these country have a backround in Law and Poli Sci. Just because we Somalis make a national pastime does not mean its less "prestigious" anything else out there.

Another thing, Ph.D Means Doctor of Philosophy, that means there are people out there who are doctors not necessarily working in hospitals. Gosh
Oh boy, naxar nugaaleed; you have no idea what you are talking about bro. This is something that I have good knowledge on.

"social behaviourial science"? nonsense! I have studied at many universities across the globe and the division looks like something like this Mr. Einstein:

Sociology (the oldest), economics, geography and political science are mainly part of the social science faculties. Pyschology is ambigious because it is sometimes refered to as behaviourial sciences and sometimes social sciences.

Journalism, history, anthropology, law , theology, linguistics etc are in the humanities.

In addition, bibliometric studies (if you know what it is (google) show it, average score to study political study is generally lower than many of the social sciences- not to mention the impact factor!

Perhaps this is because it " social behaviourial sciences" smile.gifsmile.gif

Undergraduates can take any courses; an economist for instance can taken law courses ( I have taken courses in Russian language and american tot law- although I am neither a linguist nor a law student) -- but that does not change a thing.

About the medical doctor, that was not the issue.

If you are a true academic and not a "lost undergrad" you may know what we are talking about sxb.

Something tells me that you are of the "dottores" out there smile.gif

Juje; I met the guy once and he did not use the title. But for us somalis it is not what perceive of ourselves that matter; check every clan based website and you will read Dr....

Sigmund Freud would have loved somalis.

To the others; almost every title is abused.

uchi   

Originally posted by [Waranle]:

Farole is a graduate of Somali National University, State University of New York at Albany, International Statistical Institute of Beirut and La Trobe University. He worked as a senior officer/manager of major branches in Hargeisa and Berbera, and as a senior auditor/divisional manager of foreign and international departments at the now-defunct Somali Central Bank, as well as a director general at the Commercial & Savings Bank from 1970 to 1986

Education and Training History

2006 - PhD – Development of Somali Financial Institutions in historical perspective (La Trobe University, Australia)

2005 - BA Major in Politics (La Trobe University, Australia)

1990 - M.B.A. – Major in Financial Management (Somali National University-SOMTAD / State University of New York, Albany USA)

1985 - Bachelor of Commerce – Economics and Commerce (National University, Mogadishu, Somalia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdirahman_Mohamud_Fa role

The Zack   

Originally posted by uchi:

2006 - PhD – Development of Somali Financial Institutions in historical perspective (La Trobe University, Australia)

Huh? Is Somali Finance a major? What PhD does he have bal?

P.s. And since when wikipedia.org became a source? You know I can go there and edit that thing, right?

bilan   

^^^ probably that was his thesis, i think he was PHD candidate, also i believe everyone with BS is called Doctor in somalia based on the Italian system, so get over it people, worry about more important thing.

Uchi, bal is tartiibi eedo. Wiki aa final eh warmaaha.

Marka kalena, haduu 05 Bachelor of Arts dhameeyo oo hada halsano kadib oo si orod eh uu PHD dhaxmare, when the reality is that the funding is a maximum of 3.5 to 4 years, some programs upto 6 years to complete, oo hadana laba sano kadibna uu 08 campaign p-land ku wareegaaye, goormuu 3-4min required yrs of thesis completion uu sameeye? Did he even defend his thesis? Talow adaa war haayo but the next time aad wiki wararka naga soo gaare aa meelaha lasoo istaagto, bal date-ka sifiican ufiiri oo wax uun yar ka fikir sida uu waxaas oo dhan hal mar usoo gabogabeeye.

BTW, this is for the no name poster and CO, haddii oo qof been inuu iska dhaadhiciyo rabo, oo buunbuuniyo his credentials, tas waa war asaga utaale, ee tiina maad kafiirsataan? Talo ayey iga tahay but seriously, tiina kasoo baxa.

Thankful   

In from 1998 to 2006 he was part of the Puntland government. I believe from what I read on Australian news websites that he is a Ph'd student, but has not finished because of the presidency.

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Daandurreey:

Abwaan, does Sheeq Shareef work for the CIA? That is a rumour everywhere. Please confirm that rumour.

PS: Yes, Prof. Samatar is muslim.

I wasn't expecting su'aal looga jawaabo su'aal...thanks for the clarification finally. I said this is what I heard and an intverview with the professor by radio daljir a while ago did not help.

I have only seen prof. Samatar once but listened to his interviews and read his articles over the years. I really admire that he was from pure nomad to a professor.

I think for those who claim that the Sharif should have picked him I disagree and it is not because he inexperienced but other things, waayo I went to see him when he was giving a talk at Chatham House, London, UK early last year. This was about Somalia and he was ok for what he was invited for but the guy is very old and it was even hard for him to talk.

uchi   

Sorry he is a PHD candidate, my mistake.

On another note, what is the deal with [Waranle]?, he writes like a 12 year old, but brags about studying at many universities around the world.

Are you serious?... If you really were educated at all you wouldn't be starting threads like these questioning other individuals titles/credentials.

I have noticed that you are personally attacking Farole in a number of different threads, just curious, have you met him in person? What is the deal there? The guy was just voted in office so relax and give him some time.

And please do yourself/us a favor buddy, and focus more on productive topics, I am sure with the number of degrees you have, you can come up with something.