Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

MAY 18th

Saalixa   

Oh can i? can i please i love it sooooo much.

Sky why talk out so loud when no one hears you (from what i have read no one is reputing your arguemants) and for the first time in sols history i have laid my eyes on a female attacker, more like a hassler. Iam so sad i thought all of the brothers here had the least amount of respect no matter what the circumstance they do not enter a quarall with the ladies let alone make one between them as you like doing here.

Sherezade can i take some of you burconess and indent it into my veins coz maybe that is like the only way you cannot take burco out of yourself right?

For me Djibouti works fine and never leaves me. smile.gif

Bashi Bashi

You hit the nail on the head with your uncompromising objectivity. What is overlooked is that almost all the somalis were equally oppressed by Siad Barre.

As we all know Siad Barre was a dictator and anyone who threatened his leadership was prosecuted. Also the background to the war between Siad Barre and the isaqs was;

1. The isaqs entrepreneurs hid their earnings so that the didn't have to pay taxes like the other somalis. Siad Barre discovered this.

2.He also found out about their coup d'etat(funded by ethopia, somalias arch enemy!) . well you can imagine being the dictator he was how he responded.

The Soomaali weyn had no say in the decisions despotic regime made. They too suffered and lost.

Quote:

-------------------------------------------------

Bashi wrote:

To answer ur question yes you and your group are entitled to celebrate. You do have every right to remember and build monuments for ur fallen heroes. I don't see anyone in this forum denying you doin that.

Perhaps u thought my characterization of this up coming celebration (e.g. jingoism or clannish-nationalism) as denying one's right to constitute a memorial day for one's clan. Not at all!

You are forgetting where you are posting…this is an online forum for all Somalis wherever they hail from. It is only natural to expect different views on any subject that’s posted here. Since this whole secession is a very controversial issue, you should at least be smart enough to realize that there are other Somalis who see the same thing but through different lenses.

We Somaliweyn love our fellow Somalis from Siyooloow, NFD to Dirirdhabe, Ogden. We acknowledge the reality on the ground. We commend the progress made and loudly support those who have maintained semblance of stability and those who have excelled in governance and rule of law. We call them “recovery zonesâ€. We strive for justice, peace, and prosperity for all. We don’t differentiate North from South or this clan from that clan or what European colonial power colonized what Somali land! This is a principle and it is this reason that we oppose secession.

But somehow for some reason I think I know, you and other secessionist sympathizers are caught up in the sentimentalities! Perpetual grievances and never-ending mourning for not all Somalis that perished in the civil war but those who hail from one particular clan, sinister propaganda against the South, self-congratulatory pronouncement that goes beyond the pale, and guilty by association that points the finger at one particular clan (not those who orchestrated or was in power at the time – nay some of them are now empowered – talk about hypocrisy) and the next generation from that particular clan has now become part of the political lexicon of the secessionist.

Despite all of that you are on the offensive pointing fingers at who ever dares to opine. Brother wake up, think straight, and open your eyes for once! I post my views with civility and I don’t insult you or your group. You can equate those views that don’t necessarily endorse the secession with hate all you want. It’s understandable really for if you could say all the ways this is not jingoism or why this can’t be considered as clan-minded nationalism you would without ranting and raving! But you won’t for whatever reason; perhaps it’s much easier to accuse and label than to reason and present rational explanation.

Somaliland is posed to carve-up and dismember Somalia. This dismemberment is the cause you are committed to see materialize! For those who go wherever the drove goes the celebration is in part for the day when the dismemberment was decided!!

and

Really? So all the of the sudden May 18th is a celebration of the fall of the former regime? Do I see u acting as a cornered kid Mogadishu too must be celebrating May 18th eh! My my...did I hear u say take this "politiking" stuff to the politics section...now u make sense for this whole thread from its tittle to this ninth page is about politics friend!

Quote;

Bisharo wrote:

Happy S/land day. I'll change my avatar just for this week to show my support, eventhough i'm not a lander.

I do also need a sponsorship, since Somland is the only place in the horn thats making progress. Any volunteers?

------------------------------------------------

Dear somali sister perhaps you should take time to reconsider your assumption by reading the below article written in 2001 by a BBC journalist! Even the west are bewildered by the prospering Somalis in their worst times.

Somalia; The land of Opportunity

By Stephane Mayoux in Mogadishu

After 10 years of civil war Somalia lies in ruins.

But amid the destruction, a quiet economic revolution is taking place.

Getting connected

One of the companies making it happen is Nationlink, a telecommunications firm that has grown into one of the country's largest businesses

Nationlink now has 15,000 fixed line customers and 1,200 mobile phone users.

Mogadishu has three competing mobile-phone networks. Their users can call anywhere in the world for only one US dollar a minute.

The Nationlink switchboard is a small but frantic place where three full-time operators field hundreds of calls six days a week.

Potential new customers inquire about their services and current users report faulty lines.

Harsh climate

But every time Nationlink technical staff walk out onto the streets of Mogadishu, the reality of Somalia catches up with them.

As Managing Director Ahmed Dini explained, that reality is not easy.

"Throughout Somalia we have 200 people looking after our business. They are all armed," he said.

Mr Dini said that someone somewhere will always ask for money if a job needs doing, say the company wants to install a new cable in Mogadishu.

"You can do two things. Either fight with them or pay. We usually pay because if you fight, you will either kill someone or get killed... and anyway at the end of the day you won't do any business," he explained.

But in a country with no law-courts, few rules and no government, Somali business-people turned to traditional customs to enforce business commitments.

If one of Nationlink's customers cannot pay, one of the company's employees will call on his clan-elders, his family, sometimes the local Muslim sheikh to make sure his debt will be paid up.

Amazing paradox

For Mohammed Elmi, head of HornAfrik, a multi-media company operating a television channel, a radio station and a web-site from Mogadishu, there is an amazing paradox in Somalia.

"After years of civil war, the only thing that binds people together is an instinct to trust each other across clan boundaries to do business together."

"Somalia is a virgin land. There is no lack of opportunity and every business idea seems to be viable," he said.

A perfect example of a Somali company for which everything seems possible is Barakaat.

Started with a money transfer, Barakaat is now Somalia's largest business, having developed into a fully fledged bank.

It had built the country's largest telecommunications network and currently invests in farming projects, construction ventures and hospitals.

However, last week it was labelled as a terrorist organisation by the United States.

It rejects the accusation but is desperately struggling to cope with the consequences.

Answering to the people

"We answer the needs of the people. We are always ready to invest," said Mahmoud Mohammed, one of Barakaat's senior consultants.

"We are getting a lot from the people. And we have to return some of what we get to the people."

Somalia is an Islamic country and Islam instructs its followers to give away a share of their earnings to the poor.

In fact, once a week hundreds of people queue up in front of some local businesses to receive money.

In the absence of any sort of government, business-people often play the roles usually expected of the government.

But they are not necessarily happy to carry on doing so.

Security, trust, responsibility

Both Ahmed Abdu Dini and Mahmoud Mohammed are desperate to see a Somali government in full control.

There is no excuse for no government. The only positive thing is that you can try whatever you want. But we spend a lot of money on security," Nationlink's Mr Dini said.

It's not often that you hear of businessmen talking about wanting to pay taxes.

But in Somalia, there is no government to pay them to.

Instead they adhere to three basic self-imposed rules - security, trust and responsibility.

AYOUB   

Originally posted by Baashi:

Haven't you noticed how tirelessly president Omar has been working sparing no effort to see his beloved Somalia back on its feet.

Indeed I have noticed him among others. I just thought you believed one can be never 'caring' unless they submit themselves to the 'south'.

We acknowledge the reality on the ground. We commend the progress made and loudly support those who have maintained semblance of stability and those who have excelled in governance and rule of law. We call them “recovery zonesâ€. We strive for justice, peace, and prosperity for all.

Who is this "WE"? And where are they?

Baashi   

I wonder why these sort of topics bring out the best you Baashi? But you never seam to realise that there is'nt much in your sleave to appease those you are trying to appease. A snake is not a recommended appeasement.

Peace and i'm out!

Northerner now you have addressed me I have no choice but to continue the "politiking" stuff that you seem to hate :D

Oh Thank you sxb for noticing that "these sort of topics bring out the best you Baashi" :D Even I didn't realize that one. Appease? ***scratching his head trying to decipher "those"..gives up*** Help me out sxb here? Who are "those" that you think I'm trying to appease? And why would I wanna do that? What's in it for me? You don't know the card I happan to have under my sleeve! Try me sxb :D

As to the hope that the two may unite in the future...I find that comment very promising. Tell me how it works plz...rip the arm off and when the ambuted body heals then you will stitch it back! So much of a reasoning capacity!

Ayoub,

"WE" are those who don't see the need for secession. They are those who think that the country is in the middle of a difficult period in its young history..as much as the former leadership had led us into the wrong direction and had abused the power entrusted in them, the country and the next generation are not liable for anything these former regimes have done. "We" are those who think that what is important is "political system" and if justice for all and the sound governence can be had then that should trump the sectarian-like colonial rhetoric where what Europian colonial power colonized what Somali part is the sole deferentiator that your lot use to justify the dismemberment of the country. "We" are us ordinary Somalis who just like you have their own corner and territory and just like you could opt out but don't see that's they way to go.

On Djibouti oh well you know this inside out but since you asked let me say this. Djibouti is free. Somalis are in charge. They share this tiny territory with non Somali. It's so tiny that's indivisible. Ethiopia claims that Anfar are part of Ethiopia. Anfar don't see it that way. Djibouti is not part of Somalia that once exited and they are not "opting out". Do the math! Maxaa kuu baxay awoowe :D

Pucca   

happy celebration to those of s'land. this is the first time i heard bout this may18; i only knew of one somali independence day. this is all very interesting though, and its nice to see that young ppl know their somali history well enough to back up their views on different issues.

Jamilah   

Excuse me for my naivety but until I read this topic I thought you guys may have been celebrating my fathers's birthday (he was born on May the 18th). But instead all I see is the traditional Somali flag divided into the most unfashionable colors (orange and green?) and writtng which was obviously "borrowed" from the Saudia Arabian flag. Talk about lack of orginality... :confused: (quite puzzled)

No offence love, but really u should be happy for ur dad and for somaliland. it is a happy day for Us and we have done well. nothing wrong with green and Orange-- in fact they are in fashion for the summer in the UK.

peace and blessings

enjoy da party Landers, and show so love to everyone.

hey happy somaliland independance day to everyone. and for the non landerz, show some love and not hate... its all good. the parties already began in london.... its today,,,,, lets party ppl.................

by the way i have no idea how to put the flag up on dis site, it all seems so simple yet so hard.

:D:D

hope smiles are good enough

salamz

Saalixa   

Mz Lander,

I will help jsut lander helped me

1-go to your mailbox

2-click update/edit profile

3-click select a different avatar image

4-go to the bottom where it saids "custom URL"

and than copy and paste the following url "http://www.somalilandforum.com/images/0037/image111.gif"

5-press "set URL" (now it should show on display in the upper left hand coner)

6-click select this avitar

7-finally click update profile

just follow those simple steps and you will be ready to go posing with that amiable symbol so rich and promising. And give all credit to the borther Lander---i stole it from him and he has helped me in getting me heritage. Ilaahay hanoo barakeeyo, Ameen.

Warmoog   

** Lurker Mode OFF **

Baashi,

For one so fervent about differentiating himself from pro-secessionists, you don't seem to have any qualms about imitating said group - or, to use one of your third-person pronouns of choice, "them." Here’s a clue, walaal: as supporters of a subunit that defines itself (politically) in terms of its rejection of a larger whole, pro-secessionists can get away with divisive claims; as adherents to an ideology that seeks to unite several different subunits into one whole, pro-unity folks cannot. The latter should know better than to speak in the language of exclusion.

So far, you have gone on two tirades about the differences between "us" and "them" and "we" as opposed to "they." How many more will follow before you realize that the language you are using is itself divisive?

PS - You can goad pro-secessionists all you want (and vice versa), but I suggest that you not speak on anyone else's behalf while doing so. Acting as a spokesperson for all other proponents of unity is highly presumptuous, to say the very least.

** Lurker Mode ON **

N.O.R.F   

After the celebrations the night before, Norf rights........................

Northerner said:

Baashi, you see, you may believe that 18th May is a "clannish" celebration of independence but would this "clannish" celebration have occurred if the former regime had not have fallen?????

hmmm question not answered

Bashi, you remind of that kid who used to be at the playground, his favorite ride was the roundabout, he would get on it and go round and round and round. Once he gets off, he would lose his bearings and manage to stumble home. You go about Somaliland this or Somaliland that but never have I seen/read/heard anything from any pro-unificationists, regarding a ‘road map’ to achieve this.

Like I have said many times before, asking for re-unification now (with the current situation in Somalia) is like asking a blind folded person to walk across a motorway/highway at rush hour. At least take his blind fold off and wait until the traffic dies down.

Imagine an architect

The Architect wishes to build a prestigious building on an allocated plot of land. He submits his design to for approval to the main build contractor. However, the contractor did his investigation and came with a major problem.

The problem

The ground bearing capacity of the plot of land is not enough to sustain the sheer loadings of the building (hence the building is likely to topple) unless a huge and expensive ground improvement exercise is carried-out. But, at this moment in time there isn’t enough money to for the architect to both improve the ground properties and also pay for the construction of the building. He cannot decide to just go ahead with the project as it will be illegal and will endanger the lives of both construction workers and the eventual tenants of the building.

Now in order to solve the problem the Architect will need to employ a structural engineer to come up with a scheme which involves strengthening the ground before construction can start. This structural engineer must be competent in his profession with a proven track record.

The Question

Do you propose he goes ahead with the scheme or should he wait and lay ‘solid foundations’ first?

It’s a pretty easy question if you ask me, but then again Baashi, you may just side step the ground problem and ask the contractor to go ahead with it.

'political' my a*se

AYOUB   

On Djibouti oh well you know this inside out but since you asked let me say this. Djibouti is free. Somalis are in charge.

So is Somaliland.

They share this tiny territory with non Somali.

Coming from someone who 'hails' from Kismaayo, that's quite a statement. :D

It's so tiny that's indivisible.

What is atom in Bajuun? :D

Ethiopia claims that Anfar are part of Ethiopia. Anfar don't see it that way.

I've seen Ethios with similar views to yours', i.e we (erithreans,somalis, djiboutawis and ethios) are all the same people with different languages who should be under a single government. Absurd, innit? :D

Djibouti is not part of Somalia that once exited and they are not "opting out". Do the math!

Maths you said, let me try: You want us to have 2 not 3 colonial borders, correct?

Maxaa kuu baxay awoowe
:D

Awoowe? :confused: what do you know?