Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

MAY 18th

N.O.R.F   

Perhaps u thought my characterization of this up coming celebration (e.g. jingoism or clannish-nationalism) as denying one's right to constitute a memorial day for one's clan. Not at all!

There will be more than one clan celebrating the fall of afweyne.

But somehow for some reason I think I know, you and other secessionist sympathizers are caught up in the sentimentalities! Perpetual grievances and never-ending mourning for not all Somalis that perished in the civil war but those who hail from one particular clan, sinister propaganda against the South, self-congratulatory that goes beyond the pale, and guilty by association that points the finger at one particular clan (not those who orchestrated or was in power at the time – nay some of them are now empowered – talk about hypocrisy) and the next generation from that particular clan has now become part of the political lexicon of the secessionist.

We shall mourn those nearest and dearest, we shall mourn the heroes of the SNM, we shall remember the lost souls of our cities/towns/villages. If others wish to criticise us for that, whatever the reason (and 2nd hand demented information) then so be it. If others do not wish to celebrate the end of a brutal dictatorship (maybe the dictator was a tribe member) then one understands.

As you rightly said mate, many tribes suffered at the hand of afweyne, but they wish not to have a day to 'remember'. That their choice. The ppl of Somaliland choose to. Now without connecting your political theories, i do NOT see anything wrong with that. as for all the other political/tribal stuff take that to the politics section where you can discuss with many a nomad. Its not my cup of tea lately. ;)

More concerned with trying to get flights and match tickets to Istanbul :D

Rahima   

Northerner,

To be honest, i'm not following this discussion as such i was just responding to:

Ps, dont come back with......my family suffered also etc etc

My points were simply as a result of issues i could not fathom.

Anyway carry on folks, but i'm starting to think that this thread should be moved elsewhere.

N.O.R.F   

^^I see, what i said was not to say that nobody apart from S/landers suffered, if my comments offended anyone then i whole heartedly apologise.

What would have been a better comment would have been:

According to some, S/landers portray this image that they were the only ppl who suffered, but then when a S/lander wishes to celebrate, its oh we suffered aswell. We know that, we never said that S/landers were alone in suffering. But we are the only ones who have a day of remebrance/celeration/independence (May 18th)and i'm criticised for being proud of Somaliland?. Yes problems still exist but thats for the politics section.

You will see a Somaliland flag in Istanbul :D

Rahima   

What's happening in Istanbul?

ANZAC Day is over and it was in Gallipoli :confused: .

Don’t tell me it’s sport related icon_razz.gif .

NGONGE   

^^^ Warya! Are you going? :eek:

How did you manage it?

PS

I'm not even going to ask you about how you found those hard to find tickets. ;)

N.O.R.F   

^^i have a meeting with someone wishing to sell 2 tickets 4 £1000, he thinks i have some money (spoke in a distinguished english tone over the phone), i'm not going to pay more than £250 for the pair :D

STOIC   

Ayoub, i think you misunderstood my writting about Baashi's comment!. The off topic part i was talking about my comment and not Baashi's.

Baashi   

Stoic, sxb siyolow is how folks pronounce the name of the city.

Ayoub, Djibouti too...Haven't you noticed how tirelessly president Omar has been working sparing no effort to see his beloved Somalia back on its feet. Don't forget the Anfar factor for Anfars are not Somalis not to mention Ethiopia thinks Anfar are part of mult0ethnic Ethiopia. Now Djibouti is a nation-state (insignificant in terms of resources and land mass) and it's free. Somalis are in charge too. So in every concievable way we score 0ne and nill against Ethiopia on that contest.

Rahima is right. This belongs to politics section. But somehow some partisan folks realized this after the fact. After I aired different view on the signifance of the day. Look at some of you who were acting as if this topic belonged in the general section doin a u-turn :D

There will be more than one clan celebrating the fall of afweyne.

Really? :D So all the of the sudden May 18th is a celebration of the fall of the former regime? :D Do I see u acting as a cornered kid :D Mogadishu too must be celebrating May 18th eh! My my...did I hear u say take this "politiking" stuff to the politics section...now u make sense ;) for this whole thread from its tittle to this ninth page is about politics friend!

This is my last one...don't u address me again (indirectly or directtly) if u want me quit this "political" stuff. :cool:

Faheema.   

SOL Threads…. The Good….The Bad…and the Unpredictable. Love the way some topics just take destiny into their E-hands

Happy May 18th Every1 :D

N.O.R.F   

Really? So all the of the sudden May 18th is a celebration of the fall of the former regime?

The fall of Afweyne's regime (in the north at least)resulted in May 18th becoming a day of celebration for more reasons than one. An end to a war, independence from a brutal regime (in the north), the success of the SNM against a more heavily armed govnt forces with 'war planes' vs klashnikovs :eek: , one wishing to persue his own destiny (rightly or wrongly but one can and should understand the other's reason as to why he wishes to part company)

If the former dictatorship regime had never fallen (at that time in the north), then all of the above would never have occured. I'm i right or i'm i right? :D

Baashi, you see, you may believe that 18th May is a "clannish" celebration of independence but would this "clannish" celebration have occurred if the former regime had not have fallen????? Go ahead and twist that mate :D

Therefore, the significant reason as to why we (Somalilanders) celebrate 18th May is for (in my order):

1) The fall of the regime

2) Victory over the former regime

3) Independence from the former regime (a chance for re-unification is still there)

4) A free Somaliland emerges (not 100% fool proof but there you go)

5) Seeing freinds and family draped out in red, Green & white is beautiful (so is Blue and white by the way)

add more if you wish

FACTS vs theories mate!

I wonder why these sort of topics bring out the best you Baashi? But you never seam to realise that there is'nt much in your sleave to appease those you are trying to appease. A snake is not a recommended appeasement.

Peace and i'm out!

Diamante   

^^ :D mind if I borrow that pic from time to time?

as for the Afweyne term...why is he called afweyne? I've seen people with bigger mouths than his redface.gif :confused: