Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

ONLF: The glow-fly that must not mistake itself for a full moon

The Zack   

^Waryaa Abdirahman afka dhinacaas uga leexi. He and few others work hard to free that region, ninkaas dantiisa gaarka ah tan umadda buu ka hor marshay. Having said that, viva OG :D:D

Saalax   

A&T, that region iska ilow Prof.Gandhi & Halane are about to create a jubbaland adminstration all that is left is to free it from al shabab and you & your fellow caanoboodher's can immigrate there in masses. :D

Faafan   

I think this analysis has been unfair to "Jabhada".As part of the Halgan the O'gadenia brand has been publicised across the 6 continents inorder to garner strength of support and funds.Its is natural that most of who have answered share direct relations with Jabhada because somalis who have returned to there medi-evil clanish tendencies will look beneath your name, this is why the ONLF "should change there name" argument is a failed one.The dissallusion of the UWSLF is another example.

If I can first address "Jabhada" as those who are fighting within O'gadenia and how withdrawn they are from the concept of clan.They are the real proponents of O'gadenia.I have analysed the deep sense of unity in there brotherhood.It is ONLF policy to never tolerate clan among its ranks, the use of "Gobol" is common as I have never seen an ONLF trooper go beyond his name and "Gobol".This is what drew me the most to become an ardent supporter, for the purpose of these young men.With the Jabhad so militant on defeating this among there ranks, it should reflect on there supporters.

ONLF has large bases of support in diaspora populations and the brand of O'gadenia has been enhanced by these supporters.It has become widely visible.The Halgans support in the diaspora has developed into plays,songs,conferences,poetry,etc...this is the brand you mention A&T that you say has turned O'gadenia into a refuge for fanatical clanist.I beg to disagree, the O'gadenia brand is neccessary for the Halgan to survive.I dont see where the space for clanism has developed when all that O'gadenia brand has done is bring awareness and further pursue progress.The youth have become more vigilant about the affairs of there homeland.This is one of the major objectives as the baton will be retired to them soon.The ONLF who remain behind the scenes and continue to mentor the community have never encouraged Clan to be disseminated into the O'gadenia brand and have constantly warned of its destablizing effects.In addition to this, the ONLF has sought Somalinimo more than any organisation as of late.They have constantly approached there somali brethren in the most warmest of tones.The recent london conference is an example of ONLF attempting to warn Somalis of there ancient enemy and to remind them of the sanctity of Somalinimo.

Those who use the ONLF brand for there clanish zeal do not represent it.The ONLF I and many others know is one that looks after the sanctity of Somalinimo.It has called for nothing less and the ignorant can continue raging with empty rhetoric but they can never produce anything worthy except to continue calling for a name-change when its clear that is worthless.

Haatu please my brother it is easy for you to type but that is a gross injustice you have written.Maadey is a man ready to sacrifice his life for his people, he does not deserve your disparaging comment.

I dont believe ONLF encourages Clan chauvenism.

Haatu   

People, people, let me rephrase. Cabdiraxmaan, a friend of mine, my neighbour and a relative xumaan maan ula wadin. All I'm saying is that after listening to him on many occasions we have had a discussion, I've noticed that he preaches Og'nimo first and then Somalinimo. And I know exactly what he's done for the halgan and all he's been through. Right now he's in Sweden spreading the message and gaining support for the liberation.

Oodka, ninyow af Ingiriis iskuma fahmeynee, afkeena hooyo bal isku day. :D

AYOUB   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

For now, this thread is about changing what I see as a dangerous trend among ONLF-ites. It is a call for change of direction.

Oki. That’s fair enough. Then what? Are you going to convince us “The Front” robs our camels in the cause of Soomaalinimo? Which Mullah tried that before? The Guru has more than a point, don’t you think? The ONLF does what it says on the tin and it’s you who misunderstands – to give you the benefit of the doubt. It’s not a new trend but an ONLF old game plan gone cyberspace.

On a serious note, is there a moral difference between being Somalist and clannish - especially when bearing in mind Ngonge’s example of Afars and Somalis of Djibouti? Aren’t most Oromos Muslims? Go on; sell to me saaxib.

Waa inoo hadhow inshallah...

NASSIR   

Otherwise, the ONLF struggle will only produce a result that is similar to the SNM one. It will produce a somali-hating, clan-worshipping new generation.

Well said..

Only lazy critics with no cause oppose ONLF.While I think ONLF should strive to be an inclusive entity, it is pointless to convince others to join the struggle given the fact they have never made an attempt to rid the colonizers off themselves.

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

Only lazy critics with no cause oppose ONLF.While I think ONLF should strive to be an inclusive entity, it is pointless to convince others to join the struggle given the fact they have never made an attempt to rid the colonizers off themselves.

Few in the cyber world indict the name of the organization as the source of division. I don’t consider that to be convincing. For one, adding the letter “S” (Somali) to the acronym would not automatically lead to a marvel (SNM, SSDF, etc). Another point is that this is nothing more than a mere gorilla struggle. If the province became self-governing, it almost certainly would break into turmoil if such historic name was adopted, but for now, the different factions in this struggle should be endorsed to assume any suitable surnames as long as folks are all fighting in good faith against one common enemy.

AT&T has raised some legitimate points. How does one succeed in toning down the clan chauvinism, and make this a "shared struggle" with all the various Somali clans as legitimate stakeholders? The difficulty now is that many clans (and sub-clans of the ONLF) are not contributing to the struggle in a valuable manner.

This is a problem.

Abtigiis   

LST hit the right balance. Changing the name of ONLF will only be useful in symoblic terms. It doesn't bring in substantive changes. The echo of Sii-Galbeed in 1977 (with Somali-galbeed) shows that labels do not stop divisions. If ONLF changes its name today, but retain its leadership, it is the O's again trying to fool the Somali. That will be the new line. So, why not change the name and also change the leadership but bringing more people from other clans, some of you may argue.

There are two problems with that. One, knowing Somali's, the new ones who joined from other clans will be disowned as individuals who joined ONLF for their own ego and interst by their communities. Second, there is no enough number of good calibre men from other clans who are yet ready to do that and join the struggle. The legacy of clan divisions in Somalia is the root cause.

So, the only way forward (which ONLF leadership reiterated on many occassions) is what LST is proposing here. Let all those who feel they are being colonized organise themselves in whatever name/label they see fit. Let us agree on the overall strategy and vision of the struggle and have as a reassuring gurantee that no one can impose himself on others once freedom comes. I cannot imagine how ONLF can impose its name on either Xarshin or Galadi even if they want to do so.

I disagree with the assertions made by Ayoub, Oodweyne and others from the clan that wants proliferation of clans to be the norm. I disagree that ONLF promotes clan as a policy. But I agree that in practice we are heading that way. Those who come for ONLF gatherings are from one clan. Those who wave its flag are from one clan. Riyaale Xaamud from Ayshaca is not Oga.den but is member of the ONLF executive committee. But that doesn't mean the Is.sa community is with him. ONLF should stop the pretense it has the support of everybody, merely because they can produce few individuals from others clans as an alibi.

We know Rayaale was the leader of Somaliland. He is not from the recognition-seeking clan. But we also know his community, Xiddigo of SOL included, are staunch Somaliweyn supporters. I travel and meet people everywhere. I am yet to see a man or a women from Awdal or SSC introducing herself as a 'Somalilander'. So, I don't have to be expert in somali geneology to know the clan of someone who tells me he/she is from Somaliland. The same is true about ONLF.

I personally see a difference between ONLF and the Ogade.nia labels. For some, Ogad.denia is the logical follow-up from ONLF. Once you call yourself X liberation front, you are liberating X. But for me, I want ONLF to put a divide between the two. They should say: "Yes, as an organisation, we are ONLF and we think we have this or that vision for the region. This is the process, the strategy. But, the name Ogad.denia is the result. We may want it as an organisation, but we have other stakeholders who have to agree to it. Therefore, the logical follow up will be for Ogad.denia to exist, others must agree to it. For ONLF to exist, others' agreement is not mandatory. It is a group or a clan initiative. A clan that feels it is oppressed, it is colonized."

ONLF, therefore, should not talk about Oga.denia (especially when the map it is printed on includes Ferfer, Shinile, Galadi and Mustaxil etc). ONLF should only focus on the process, the strategy, hoping others will soon be onboard. And the destiny of the region will have to be agreed upon collectively by all stakeholders once the victory comes. This is not something I am inventing. This is the official position of ONLF which its leaders state on the media all the time. I only see a disconnect between the stated positions of ONLF and the practice on the ground.

ONLF should tell its followers there is no dream conutry called Ogad.denia. There is an organisation called ONLF, which is the pioneer of the liberation struggle of the Somaligalbeed people. ONLF should explain the current set up is a temporary one. This last one is my position more than that of ONLF.

To go back to the title, I see the ONLF as a glow-fly, not as a full moon. It is not the real deal, it is a make-shift structure to fight injustice and oppression for me. For Anyone who sees it as something more than that, he/she is living in dream-land. For every Jacaylbaro who think they are not clanists but fearless somaliland nationalists, the equal is ONLF supporter who thinks he is not clanist but a freedom-fighter who wants a country called Oga.denia. Labels do not mask intrinstic affliations that are rooted in clan tree.

the ONLF struggle will only produce a result that is similar to the SNM one. It will produce a somali-hating, clan-worshipping new generation.

Now look what that name has done to you ....... I already know what to expect from the next generation. Now that is why you don't get Somaliland in your side.

Good luck though .................

Abtigiis   

For every Jacaylbaro who think they are not clanists but fearless somaliland nationalists, the equal is ONLF supporter who thinks he is not clanist but a freedom-fighter who wants a country called Oga.denia. Labels do not mask intrinstic affliations that are rooted in clan tree.

^ don't be so hasty JB and A&T, JB is more patriotic then many at least more then he lets on or you give him credit for...

I have to say that this latest analysis by A&t was the most eye opening have read concerning Somalis. The struggle in Somali galbet has slowly turned into a clan struggle without anyone noticing because we have been conditioned the reality of heblayo lands. I too am saddened by this. Yet this needs to be said, Being a lander of any stripe, does not negate one's Somalinemo. Just as you call for being vigilant in mistaking Somalinemo, one should also guard themselves in throwing out clanism at others...