Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

ONLF: The glow-fly that must not mistake itself for a full moon

NGONGE   

A&T, sida Xiin ha igu noqon oo markad jawaab waydid ayaad xaqiraad ii bilaabaysa? Adeer markaad harar caga cadaan ku ordi jirtay anigu magaalaan joogay, ima argtid ano ku leh geel jire af ingreesi bartay baad tahay ama Xiin ano ku leh pirate ayuu waligee aha? Waxan aad sheegayso hadaanaan bariga ogeen, dee maantaan bartay. Ileen nin reer magaal ban ahay oo hawada wax walba ka fahma. :D

bootada marka laga godbo, you brought an argument to the table now be kind enough to defend the position you chose without making excuses about the level of knowledge of your questioner or any other nonsense.

You say it is interest that drvies Somalis! Fine, I accept that. But I will return you to my question that you have been avoiding all along, why is it in YOUR interest? What do you get in return?

Don't tell me that you don't have an answer to Somalia's problems because I did not ask for one. I only asked you about this noble idea of Somalnimo you are trying to sell here. Wax la kaalay warya.

Abtigiis   

Maxaadan fahmin?

- Ma in Dhulka aad leedahay Oga.denia badhkii dad aan magacaa ogoleyn dagan yihiin

- Ma in ONLF ay hadda tahay jabhad hal reer taageeraan oo qabaa'iladda kale ayna ku hirin

-Ma in dadka la dilo ama la xidho ee ay Itoobiya cadaadiso hadda ay noqdeen hal reer oo kaliya

-Ma in loo baahan yahay in dadka loo cadeeyo qaabka wax loo wado oo la yidhaa 'waa run oo hadda inaga oo qabiil ah ayaa dagaalamayna. taasi waa nasiib daro. Oo walaalaheeni Somaliyeed inay inagu raacaan halganka diide, rajana kama qabno. Laakin, hadafkeenu waa inaynu dadka Somaliyeed wax la qabsano oo aynu buun'buunino Soomalinimada, meesha aynu ka buun-buuninayno Og.nimada.'

- Ma in loo baahan yahay in dhalinyaradu markay isugu timaado events'ga inay ku hadaaqaan Somali baanu nahay, ee ayna o dhan Og.ayaan nahay.

-Mise waxaad aaminsan tahay sheeko dhalaanta leh 'hadaynu somalinimo sheegano, inagiyo kuwa kale ee Somalia ah ayaa la isku keen qaldi.' Ma xaa ku jaban taa?

By the way, I am nowadays thinking it might actually be better if we revise our strategy, and present the Somaligalbeed issue as a residual border claim between Ethiopia and Somalia. There are precedences where this has been resolved. The Cameroon and Nigeria dispute over Bakaasi is a case in point. We can sell that agenda in a package which includes long-term peace and security in the Horn.

Such a change might actually offer Addis Ababa a chance to accomadate our issues with less domestic resistance. They can sell the issue as ceding border land to somalia (they have ceded Badme to Eritrea lately) without precipitating internal fragmentation by way of secession. But such arrangement will not be accomplished in the format we want. Demographic realities will have to be taken into consideration, and you can did farewell to DireDawa and the Awash dream. Food for thought.

Abtigiis   

looooooo@Geeljire af-ingrisi bartay. I take that as compliment, and you are not far from the truth, runtii. :D:D Magaalo ayaan joogayda laakin waxaan kuu sheegaya, I know that inaad adhi-carbeed tahay. :D (by the way, do you know what Adhi-carbeed means?). It is not the same as goats of Arab. :D

Adhi-carbeed'ku adhiga magaalada jooga ee aan caws helin, ee garaabada iyo bacaha cuna weeye.

:D:D

Anyway, my intest is Economy big market and opportunites), easy upward social mobility, etc etc in a larger Somalia. But while I mention interst, it is not the only factor that shape one's vision. Belief is also another factor.

By the way, read the bold lines I wrote to Zack to see where I am heading to.

N.O.R.F   

By the way, I am nowadays thinking it might actually be better if we revise our strategy, and present the Somaligalbeed issue as a residual border claim between Ethiopia and Somalia. There are precedences where this has been resolved. The Cameroon and Nigeria dispute over Bakaasi is a case in point. We can sell that agenda in a package which includes long-term peace and security in the Horn.

Such a change might actually offer Addis Ababa a chance to accomadate our issues with less domestic resistance. They can sell the issue as ceding border land to somalia (they have ceded Badme to Eritrea lately) without precipitating internal fragmentation by way of secession. But such arrangement will not be accomplished in the format we want. Demographic realities will have to be taken into consideration, and you can did farewell to DireDawa and the Awash dream. Food for thought.

Isn't that similar to what I suggested recently in another thread? Waad i cuntay markaa :D

The Zack   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

Maxaadan fahmin?

- Ma in Dhulka aad leedahay Oga.denia badhkii dad aan magacaa ogoleyn dagan yihiin

Taas waan ogahay, maxeysan ONLFtu sameyn hadda ka hor oo hadda sameyn kartaa to change those hearts? Ninka Daroor jooga magaca Ethiopia buu ka jecel yahay kaas.

- Ma in ONLF ay hadda tahay jabhad hal reer taageeraan oo qabaa'iladda kale ayna ku hirin

Again, ONLF-tu iyadaa is abaabushay, dadkan aad sheegina mar horaa lagu daalay, waadna la sococtaa. Intey OG na gumeysan laheyd xabashi hana gumeysato bey ku odhan, oo in la gumeysto bey diyaar u yihiin (badankood).

-Ma in loo baahan yahay in dadka loo cadeeyo qaabka wax loo wado oo la yidhaa 'waa run oo hadda inaga oo qabiil ah ayaa dagaalamayna. taasi waa nasiib daro. Oo walaalaheeni Somaliyeed inay inagu raacaan halganka diide, rajana kama qabno. Laakin, hadafkeenu waa inaynu dadka Somaliyeed wax la qabsano oo aynu buun'buunino Soomalinimada, meesha aynu ka buun-buuninayno Og.nimada.'

I don't know the last time you have been to an ONLF gathering or town hall meeting but this issue is always discussed. The ONLF leadership clearly say that this is aint Qabiil thing.

- Ma in loo baahan yahay in dhalinyaradu markay isugu timaado events'ga inay ku hadaaqaan Somali baanu nahay, ee ayna o dhan Og.ayaan nahay.

Somalida Og'deniya baanu nahay bey ku heesaan dhalintu, does that do it? :D:D

-Mise waxaad aaminsan tahay sheeko dhalaanta leh 'hadaynu somalinimo sheegano, inagiyo kuwa kale ee Somalia ah ayaa la isku keen qaldi.' Ma xaa ku jaban taa?

I thought you fully supported the name ONLF. That is the only reason ONLF has this name, in aan lagu khaldin somalida somali weyn. Otherwise, why else do you support that name? With all the disadvantages that name carries that is the only benefit to it. In aduunku uu Ogaado that we are not here for dhul balaadhsi.

I totally disagree with the points you highlighted on the bottom of your post. It is a strategy that was tried before and a one that has failed. One needs to learn his/her mistakes, not repeat them again and again. It might have worked for other countries but for a fact it won't for us.

NGONGE   

Geel jire waligii adhi iyo xooloo ayuu ka fakara. War magaalaan joognay ban ku nedhi. Wax fahan. :D

At any rate, what you're selling there is a dream and not a realistic one at that. I will not go into the intricacies or difficulties of it, for you already know that well enough. However, I will return you to the whole idea of a struggle. Ninyaho malaha Zimbabwe baad ku naaxday and forgot how a struggle is conducted.

Ideas are great but in order to be realised they need people to embrace them and fall for them. They need to be marketed and branded in such a way that the average person begins to believe he/she is missing out if they did not join the bandwagon. The ICU in Somalia was an idea that had people from your region and mine hurrying to embrace it and pour money and resources into it. Somaliland is an idea that got millions from that region doing all they can to further it. War even rickety Puntland (despite all the problems it is going through today) is still an idea that appeals to most people of that region.

The idea has to be clear, concise and achievable (or at least give the impression of being achievable). Such ideas become even more important when they involve an armed struggle. Clarity is the most important thing. Knowing what you are fighting for, understanding why you are fighting and believing that all the causalities, sacrifices and deaths are a worthy price to pay in order to achieve the idea itself, are also vital. Avoiding anything that will sap the moral of your troops, plant doubts in their minds or make them question the wisdom of the leadership is a given.

Marka, to say that the ONLF struggle is not a clan struggle is foolish and disruptive to the cause. It is a clan struggle and it must remain so, if the idea is to be achieved. Your fighters are mostly from one clan. They get injured, they get arrested and they die for the clan (weather they know it or don't). To keep them motivated, to lift their spirits and to convince them of the validity of the cause, you MUST emphasise the clan angle. After all, the other clans are selling out (in the context of the struggle). The other Somalis are deporting your fellow fighters and comrades in the struggle. EVERYONE is letting you down. Your backs are against the wall. Tolaaay, tolaaay, tolaaay.

Stop being a wet handkerchief and sing songs of O freedom, saaxib. Yours is a matter of life and death, it is not an intellectual pursuit (and if it is, you need to go back on your understanding of freedom).

Abtigiis   

I don't support the name ONLF, Zack. I support the actions of ONLF. My first choice would be for them to change the name, but I know they will not do it. So, I have accepted the second best choice, which is let them have the name but promote Somalinimo as a vision. The starting point is to accept the fact that the name is a clan name. So, the argument will move from dhulkaa loo yaqaan shittick, to 'yes, anagoo rer-hebel ah ayaan itobiya diidan nahaye, walaalayaal taas maxaad ka qabtan?' - a challenge to the other somali's.

Norf, I don't remember when and under what context you proposed that but if it came in the view of bringing somalinimo, it is welcome. If it came in the form of Ethiopia la heshiiya, it is wrong. Itoobiya lama heshiinayno ilaa cadceedu west ka soo baxayso.

Som@li   

It is a good idea even to drop the O if it will make others join the bandwagon,Somalinimo approach is wonderful idea, Somalis in general have trust issue, and afraid of O domination, and believe many are against ONLF and support the current regime for this reason.

Abtigiis   

Ngonge,

You missed the insinuations of Adhi-carbeed even when I went as far as telling you what it eats. Perhaps, if you know the methaphor 'bacaha ayuu cunna', it will dawn on you. But we know you are not daft, so it is only a joke.

To the issue,

What is complicated about rebanding in a better way what the ONLF cadres are telling the foot soldiers. If you don't know, ask. The foot soldiers are told they are fighting for Somalinimo and for muslinimo. But the mention of Og is diluting the effectiveness of the message. So, the clarity you are esposuing will be done but to the opposite.

What is also complicated to project Somaligalbeed's predicament as ephemeral as the crisis in Somalia and to give the impression that it will get over once all Somal's support it.

Why wouldn't rebranding as victimized Somali's not going to earn the sympathy of other somali's?

Qiiro Somalinimo in la abuuro wax ka dhib yar majirto. For it is something every member of a household will feel it. Inter-marriages have made it easier.

Markaa sheekada ah qabiil la weyneeyo unbaa lagu dagaal gali karaa comes from your only experience of struggles in somali context, where the Hashimites have succeded in mobilising Tolka through Tolaa'ayey. It is not the only way to do things. I am saying let us try other ways. You have already given us the alibi of ICU. Why not take from them and march on muslinimo iyo Soomalinimo?

Haatu   

Jb maxaa ku durduraayaa sxb?

Oodka, I really have no idea about what you wrote. Only an etonian can understand your nonsensical gibberish at times.

The Zack   

AT&T, I see your point now. Bahashu ma adey kula dhalatay, meesha laga galay ka gal, afka uun ka sheeg sheeg sida reer bariga lol si toos ahna ha u diidin sida reer waqooyiga.