Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

ONLF: The glow-fly that must not mistake itself for a full moon

Abtigiis   

Adeer, JB maxaad waxa reerkiina ku dhacay uga dhigtaa wax aan ummadda soomaliyeed ee kale ku dhicin.

Puntlanders were murdered by Siyaad Barre, Siyaad Bare clan itself was murdered by USC later, and Cabdullahi Yususf razed Mogdisho to the ground.

Cid leh somalinimo waanu ka baxnay miyaad haysaa?

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

Ngonge,

To the issue,

What is complicated about rebanding in a better way what the ONLF cadres are telling the foot soldiers. If you don't know, ask. The foot soldiers are told they are fighting for Somalinimo and for muslinimo. But the mention of Og is diluting the effectiveness of the message. So, the clarity you are esposuing will be done but to the opposite.

What is also complicated to project Somaligalbeed's predicament as ephemeral as the crisis in Somalia and to give the impression that it will get over once all Somal's support it.

Why wouldn't rebranding as victimized Somali's not going to earn the sympathy of other somali's?

Qiiro Somalinimo in la abuuro wax ka dhib yar majirto. For it is something every member of a household will feel it. Inter-marriages have made it easier.

Markaa sheekada ah qabiil la weyneeyo unbaa lagu dagaal gali karaa comes from your only experience of struggles in somali context, where the Hashimites have succeded in mobilising Tolka through Tolaa'ayey. It is not the only way to do things. I am saying let us try other ways. You have already given us the alibi of ICU. Why not take from them and march on muslinimo iyo Soomalinimo?

I gave you the example of the ICU to show you that a well thought out idea can be sold to the masses, saaxib. But, first, they have to be receptive to the idea itself. An Islamic idea cannot be sold to Somalis anymore because the ICU has tarnished it and Al Shabab soiled it. Never again will Somalis fall for any Mullahs with guns. Likewise, Somalnimo (in its current form) is not going to be bought by the masses (ONLF included) because of the many that abused it in the past. If you have a different approach or marketing gimmick I can't really say I saw you share it with us.

On the ONLF, I do not believe a word you say. I cannot see these guys giving their lives up for the idea of Somalnimo (as Somalis understand it). What have they got from Somalnimo other than deportations, arrest, treachery and let downs? It always was the O collective that kept their heads up, fought alongside them and suffered the indignities with them. If you say they still believe that is Somalnimo, then it must also mean they think all the others that have let them down are NOT Somali. Wax fahan.

The only way your boys can win their fight is if they fight for ONLF and ONLF alone. Forget political correctness and the erroneous received wisdom about people hurrying to the side of Somalnimo as soon as they hear a moving song or rousing speech, these are mere gestures saaxib. When push comes to shove, they will all ask the same question: What is in it for ME?

So I tell you again. Clan is everything and particularly in your case, it should, must and has to be everything. Be proud of the O struggle for being an O struggle. Stand on your own feet and sock it to the rest. If you win, the O has won and if you lose, the O has lost. Once that is done, you can have the luxury of toying with the idea of Somalnimo whilst safe in the knowledge that you owe nothing to anyone.

This is of course hadaad wax fahmayso and understand that being an O, a Somali or even an Ethiopian is nothing but an idea that receives support according to its strength, benefits and appeal.

Abtigiis   

Clan is a motivating factor within the somali context, saaxiib. Something you always fail to understand is that it is hard to motivate the O against Ethiopia on the basis of a clan. The question will be 'ma anaga kaliyaa nala guumaystaa, maxaa na waalay?'. A question even Cabdi Iley poses to o elders everytime he meets them.

Somalidu iyadaa isu naasa cad oo hadaad tidhaa nin somalilander ah ayaa nin Og ah dilay, Abdi Iley and Mohamed Omer Osman will take the same position. Don't apply that faulty logic of clan the motivator where it doesn't fit.

The only way the fighters in the bush are motivated is by telling them 'axmaaro aan somali aheyn ayaa ina guumaysata. Inagu Somali baan isku dad nahay.' The foot soldiers don't go as far as what is in it for me, adeer. They are sold an ideal, an empty belief. You put too much faith in the intellectual class and how to win over them. This group will not also buy the clan line, especially against a non-Somali entity.

You have failed to see the difference of the two situations everytime I saw you talk about this issue.

You see, the issue of Kismayo is more unifying than the fight in 'Oga.denia' for most O clan members because the enemy in the Kismayo case is Somali cousins (oo in la iska celiyo u baahan). You don't see big difference and division over that issue. The Ethiopia issue is different. Clan cannot unify. It has failed to unify the Og itself. It is some other cherished ideal that can unite. And I am trying Somalinimo.

And I know how things work on the ground more than a latter-day somali analyst who have spent most of his time sipping Vanilla milkshake on Arab streets. I know how Axmaro Vs Somali brand wins you supporters, with the experience of Ma'ieso and Afdam. Marka, stop throwing textbook ideas as template solutions to diverse issues.

I could do the Rhazes on you and go about your motivations by listing innmerable formal and informal fallacies in your argument, the same way you are doing. But I am not a fan of Rhazes and when I tried his trick against an Ethiopian friend last week, the argument could not go one step further because it was hard to move without stumbling into one or more of the infinite fallacies list. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

NGONGE   

^^ Your problem is that you argue even when you know there is no argument to be had, saaxib. This "latter day analyst" horoo kuu sheegay inu hawadaa wax ka fahma. :D

The Somalnimo argument in your part of the world is not new and has not won you anything. If your boys are still fighting it is because they are fighting for their brothers, sisters, land and mothers. It is the big O, saaxib and nothing but the big O. If you can't realise that then you have been away far too long and as any of your comrades would tell you "boogaag ayaa maskaxda kaa wassakhay". :D

Abtigiis   

Ayoub, JB, Ngonge, and myself (Oodwyne), you said?

And what do all these folks share? Aren't they the product of a failed clan struggle strategy? Are they not exactly what I am warning of the ONLF youth not to become?

Bal wax aan rer-aqoonsi-doon aheyn oo Somalinimo ma shaqaynayso leh meeshan SOL ah ka soo hel!!

Abtigiis   

So what? should I address the untreatable fixation of one-side of the gallery for eternity?

Adeer, the Somalinimo-mashaqeynayso malady is a malady of one specific clan, to put it bluntly. It is an issue that needs to be addressed, but let those who believe in the vision see how it can work.

NGONGE   

^^ Dhagax baad iska tahay, warya. But they say rocks can be broken with water. Aan hadana kugo sii tufu. :D

You have the vision. GOOD!

You have many supporting the vision. Brilliant.

Now you need to find a way to make the vision workable and practical.

As things stand and after hearing about this vision of yours, I am telling you that it will not work because you don't understand your own vision and what form it should take. Wax fahan.

Abtigiis   

Somalilanders are about 0.05% of the Somali race. Once the rest agrees with ways of bringing back Somalinimo, the next task will be how to sell it to Somalilanders.

As we stand, you are asking me to do it the other way.

Oodka, if you bring up the issue of Doqon-ma-waayao,and the village men bamboozled there, you should also raise the equivalent clannish rumor of the other side. The one that usually revolves around, " rer-hebel sal-fududaa, wuxuu sugayo muu dhowro." :D

Only a fool shepard will run after one sheep that runs astray from the rest of the herd, at the expense of leaving the 100+ more for the hyenas.

Aw Tusbaxle, you hit the proverbial nail on the head, Oodweyne folks are on the edge of a perilous cliff, and even with Siilaanyo on the lead, one doubts that their deep political grievance will ever be adequately addressed. If you warn similar consequence for ONLF supporters, you do have a pertinent point indeed.

But I still have question for you: is it the name ONLY that prevented others to participate in the ‘struggle’? Or is it the strategy of fighting to die in the name of freedom that warrants a second look awoowe?

Abtigiis   

dying is indispensible when your oppressor is not ready to talk to you about your rights. I know what you are implying. But it is when Ethiopia feels the heat that peace can be made. I am sufficiently aware of the internal political situation in Ethiopia to believe armed struggle can get a result. It is more about getting more organised on our part than the strength of a minority regime who is detested by everybody.

If 3 million Tigres could do it, 5+ million Somali's can do it with ease, if we front OLF (oromo liberation Front) at the national level, and seek change through it. Not all 3 millon Tigre's fought by the way. The deputy of Mengistu HaileMariam at the height of the war was none other han Fisseha Desta, a Tigre. Dr. Halilu Araya, my impressive English instructor at Addis Ababa University, is a Tigre. Yet, he was in the national Shango (parliament) and he was shouting that the army need to crush the TPLF. He is still bitterly oppossed to Meles et al and is a prominent opposition member todate. So, divisions are natural. But if there is a determined group and a good strategy, this war is winnable. And now, more than ever - thanks to the feeble standing of the Woyanne regime.

I understand, and appreciate your principle of fighting for freedom for that region. However, given the length of the struggle, and the nature of the enemy, results thus far achieved are embarrassingly meager. It’s in that context that I suggest a second look at the strategy that has been at work up to this point. Your Tigre/Somali struggle parallels are false, and you know it awoowe.

Simply put, I am not convinced that the ‘O’ in that four letter acronym is what failing the struggle.

Haatu   

Originally posted by Oodweyne:

quote:
Originally Posted By Haatu

It is this preaching of Og'nimo just as P'landnimo and Somalilandnimo is preached in neighbouring regions, which is the cause for the loss of the understanding of Soomaalinimo.

Not true. Hence, try harder,
my friend
. For whatever potentiality it may have been pregnant with; this notion call
"Somalinimo"
has been, at least to the last two generations or so, nothing but a
"soiled garment"
of the cheap replica kind; in which to boot, any passing political chancer, with agenda of his own could hide behind it. Particularly with the hope of
"bamboozling"
or at least disrobing others from their sense and reason, indeed.

Hence, it may be something that is so bedazzling to you, since, you have never seemed to have gotten the short end of a
"stick"
made out of that
"particular garment"
, at least in the hands of others; given that by the looks of it you are from the
"NFD"
side of the Somali Peninsula. But by all historical account (at least of recent generations), this thing call
"Somalinimo"
has been as
"useful"
as a
"two-penny-cheap-whore"
is to any lustful man, indeed.

In other words, any man with a
"lust"
for
"unearned power"
, in anywhere of the Somali peninsula, have always found the very seductive appeal in which this notion of
"Somalinimo"
is made of a very irresistible, indeed.

Hence to my forlorn surprise to see that our friend,
Mr. A & T
(who should know better) falling for that cheap replica of genuine
"patriotism"
call the proverbial oft-quoted
"Somalinimo"
of recent two generations or so, by hook and sinker, manner, indeed; much less to say, that he seemed to think that others will indeed think of him any better for it at all.

Regards,

Oodweyne.
From what I understand from this, you claim that people from NFD waa la isticmaalaa and laguna sababaa "Soomaalinimo". But I know you're a clever man and wouldn't say such foolish things so try what you was going to say in Somali. Maybe then we can have a discussion.