Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Jendayi Frazer Arrives Somaliland

Juje   

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

But no nation has yet recognised Somaliland's claim to self-rule for fear of setting a precedent for other regions in Africa who might want to unilaterally declare autonomy.

That is the hint.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by xiinfaniin:

But which of my hasty arguments you thought was tempting?

1) Conflict in the south can hardly be contained, and America’s current admin thinks of it as much.

2) Current US handlers in the region would like to maintain their point of contacts in power (Kenya is a good example).

3) These efforts by the state department are organized more likely toward creating one central authority in Somalia.

All very tempting, saaxib. All also may be true. But that's just one way of looking at things and since America did not come out and say it clearly (without using vague diplomatic speak), one has to give credit where credit is due.

Somaliland used to be dismissed as an idea of one clan supported by some western intellectuals and academics. It was said that Somaliland does not appear in the radars of those that matter and is ignored by the international community! But, recently, Somaliland has been working on creating the maximum exposure for itself and attracting as much interest as it can draw. All of a sudden, the president goes on a visit to America, whilst somewhere else, a British member of parliament throws up a question about Somaliland to the British Prime Minster! And now, to top all that public relations effort off, the highest American representative in Africa arrives in an open state visit to Somaliland. Surely you would not consider all this flurry of activity as a mere coincidence?

Now you may be correct and this might not result in anything. But you're refusing to entertain the thought that the opposite may also be possible and that's what I object to.

Look at it this way:

Imagine JB falling for Ms Frazer and spending years trying to get her to go on a date with him. As we all know, JB is hopeless and keeps laughing at the wrong times. We all suspect that Ms Frazer will never look at him and find it laughable that he could persuade her to go on that date with him (we don't even entertain the thought that she might accept his subsequent marriage proposals and say YES).

Now, if hopeless, bumbling, selfish and dreamy JB does pull it off and manages to get Ms Frazer to go on a date with him would you not worry he just might go further and marry the damn woman?

Where in the past, she did not listen or hear a word he said, she's now sitting with him on a candle lit table. She may have her own plans and designs for him, but since she is sat there and JB has the opportunity to fully charm the stars and stripes of her, nobody can sit here and safely predict the outcome. What you can only say is that the momentum is with JB and that since he managed to get this far he may yet sweep Ms Frazer of her feet. Of course, there is also the possibility he may slurp his tea, pick his nose and try to speak with his mouth full. But since (probably) the entire world knew of this date, I'm sure JB would have been well drilled and prepared for it by now.

Do you follow? Still find the reasons for optimism erroneous? :D

Fabregas   

I don't think we'll here anything official soon! If Kosovo is anything to go by most countries will be hestitant(especially in africa) to dismember other countries. In this case the AU would be seen as contradictory if they support T.F.G's sovereignity and then recognise Somaliland. The Americans will probably say we are leaving it the AU; and then the AU will say we are leaving this one to the Somalis themselves! Of course due to Kenya, Ethiopia and South Somalia, Americans will be supporting Somaliland more fiercely as they supported Kosovo. One is thing is certain and one is completely out of the picture. What is certain is that Somaliland's political importance has immensely increased since 9/11 and now with the war in Southern Somalia. What is out of the picture is the Americans somehow telling Somaliland to create a unity government with the T.F.G or any other Somali entity!

Originally posted by Juje:

quote:Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

But no nation has yet recognised Somaliland's claim to self-rule for fear of setting a precedent for other regions in Africa who might want to unilaterally declare autonomy.

That is the hint.
That point has been debunked by the Fact Finding mission which was headed by Deputy Chairman of the AU itselt and visited Somalilad in 2005.

Here is a qoute from an "internal AU Document":

The borders received by Somaliland at the moment of independence were those of the British Somaliland Protectorate, not the Somali Republic. As such, an independent Somaliland could be considered as satisfying the requirement of
uti possidetis juris
and being technically consistent with Article 4

An internal AU document obtained by Crisis Group suggests that senior AU Commission officials believe this is one of Somaliland’s strongest arguments: “A strict interpretation of [Article 4 of the AU Constitutive Act] actually provides Somaliland with the legal sanction that it seeks”.72
It would also make it much harder for secessionist movements elsewhere on the continent to claim Somaliland as a precedent

(pg 20)

Suldaanka, ha is xiijin sxb niman aan ogahay waa Miidaamo dhego ma leh hadii malag dhawaaqaaye ,, :D

Now i'm sure Mr. Me, Nayruus & Naxar will take that story of NGOGE as it is and would assume i'm dating with the old lady ,,, :D

Juje   

Originally posted by GJ_Goate:

What is out of the picture is the Americans somehow telling Somaliland to create a unity government with the T.F.G or any other Somali entity!

On the contrary that is the 'in' question. Jendayi is trying her best to harness weight and credibility for the TFG in which her government has backed it with full support. Geedi has been shown the door and his replacement is making all the right moves. Head of the TFG and notably the obstacle to any development in the recreation of Somali State is hospitalized and incapacitated in London. Plans are been devised to minimize if not eradicate the presence of Ethiopian troops in the country. In all aspects a whole new approach is been pursued in the region regarding Somalia, and the thought to dismember them is not on the agenda. But consider this for one moment 'Riayaale to replace Yeey'. It might sound absurd, so does the word 'if'.

Recognizing S/land as an independent state will not in anyway help the war against terror but vice versa. And the newly found JB's girlfriend is aware of that but her hubby aint.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

All very tempting, saaxib. All also may be true. But that's just one way of looking at things and since America did not come out and say it clearly (without using vague diplomatic speak), one has to give credit where credit is due.

Somaliland used to be dismissed as an idea of one clan supported by some western intellectuals and academics. It was said that Somaliland does not appear in the radars of those that matter and is ignored by the international community! But, recently, Somaliland has been working on creating the maximum exposure for itself and attracting as much interest as it can draw. All of a sudden, the president goes on a visit to America, whilst somewhere else, a British member of parliament throws up a question about Somaliland to the British Prime Minster! And now, to top all that public relations effort off, the highest American representative in Africa arrives in an open state visit to Somaliland. Surely you would not consider all this flurry of activity as a mere coincidence?

Now you may be correct and this might not result in anything. But you're refusing to entertain the thought that the opposite may also be possible and that's what I object to.

Look at it this way:

Imagine JB falling for Ms Frazer and spending years trying to get her to go on a date with him. As we all know, JB is hopeless and keeps laughing at the wrong times. We all suspect that Ms Frazer will never look at him and find it laughable that he could persuade her to go on that date with him (we don't even entertain the thought that she might accept his subsequent marriage proposals and say YES).

Now, if hopeless, bumbling, selfish and dreamy JB does pull it off and manages to get Ms Frazer to go on a date with him would you not worry he just might go further and marry the damn woman?

Where in the past, she did not listen or hear a word he said, she's now sitting with him on a candle lit table. She may have her own plans and designs for him, but since she is sat there and JB has the opportunity to fully charm the stars and stripes of her, nobody can sit here and safely predict the outcome. What you can only say is that the momentum is with JB and that since he managed to get this far he may yet sweep Ms Frazer of her feet. Of course, there is also the possibility he may slurp his tea, pick his nose and try to speak with his mouth full. But since (probably) the entire world knew of this date, I'm sure JB would have been well drilled and prepared for it by now.

Do you follow? Still find the reasons for optimism erroneous?
:D

:D Well put indeed.

JB’s love story is well known in these boards! I do not doubt the genuineness of his efforts neither do I deny him the credit of finally being able to be in the same room with her. But I looked at it from a different angle saaxiib.

Johnny B   

^well put Mr Oodweyne,

though i'm not pro-Somaliland who'd sweep aside the hint initiated by Juje and chewd on by Xiin, namely, the idea of Somaliland having met her waterloo by Jendayi's vissit, i'd like that expounded, lest Ngonge's stand on cloud nine is the preferable one.

^^lol@Waterloo

Oodweyne,

Ever heard of the story of the poor old nomad who, after seeing rich businessman, pulled his choice he-goat out of his herd to mark him own share in the said rich man’s merchandise! And when denied on the basis of scantiness, resorted prayer against the inevitable success!

Orgigayga Caarrow allow lagu calaameeyo

Coodkii la raacshaba allow caabuq lagu sheego

Nin walaalkii ciil qabo ma cuno calaf tujaareedee.

Allow….

I bet someone is doing that :D