Sign in to follow this  
Ms MoOns

Wedding Planners

Ms MoOns   

Ladies on SOL,

Any good wedding planners among us? :D

I would appreciate it if y'all could give me some ideas on how you would plan a traditional Somali aroos? Or how some of the lovely ladies here already done it?

From start to end. What should come first etc. What kind of food, dress (one dress, or several?), type of location, time and so on.

I'm just trying to compare different approaches on it.

Cheers! smile.gif

M.

Ms MoOns   

That's just it xD

It's MY wedding,

shouldn't I have a say in it? :D

I also want to put some effort in it y'know :D:D

& like I said, I'm just trying to compare different approaches. Insha allah qeyr, I still got loadz of time, just thinking ahead xooga.

Cara.   

Loads and loads of food. About 65% of the budget should go towards food and catering (25% for tough ex-military bouncers to keep out unwanted guests and the rest for the dress/venue/entertainment etc).

At least three cakes, and don't skimp on the xalwad.

Comfy chairs in the back, with a good view of the dance floor and entrance, so one can spot who wore the exact same dirac set again and who is sweating like she is a donkey hauling firewood.

Loud music, but not so loud you can't whisper to your neighbor about the obvious tension between the bride's mother and the groom's stepmother.

Don't forget to set aside bail money for when the cops arrive at 4 AM to disperse the party (only half an hour after you show up in your fetching gown!) and then end up arresting your new uncle in-law when he tries to throw THEM out.

Juxa   

listen to blessed. she and i still displaying the war-wounds

you may have plans bu i guarantee your family have bigger plans. dont stress just go along it is not worth the arguments

if you allowed to choose your own dress then girl waad duushay.

having said that if you are a londoner i can give you some names (for me it was waste of money) no one listened the wedding planner

Ms MoOns   

@ Cara:

lmaooo @ ex-military bouncers :D Honestly I cannot stand people who show up at weddings who don't even know the bride or groom, or heck, let's just say even the family of the bride and groom!

@ Juxa:

you're probably right sis, but I'm stubborn, I need to learn it the hard way.

& I'm not looking for an actual Wedding Planner,, just ideas about where to get what and all, ya get me?

Am not from London tho, B'ham cityy, you think it's better to do shopping there?

Juxa   

i dont mind sharing with you at all

first of all, you need to decide the sort of event you want and the budget.

second let your mom, aunties, his mom arrange or sort out the nikkah ceremony. preferably get the older relatives to attend the nikkah as to them that is the main/major/important event

now you need to squabble the reception with your sisters, his sisters and friends. i would choose the venue and let them arrange for the decorations.

i would also allow the sisters have a say in your outfit ( if you having dirac/or traditional)

now you are free to choose your own darn gown....i dont know about b'ham but there are lovely shops in london... you can easily buy one off the rack (depending on your size and specific requirement) or get it made....be ready to fork out a fortune. you can try shops like losners in stamford hill or virgin bridals in central london.

for shoes, try faith, plenty of shoes there

ps: give family things to do, like arranging for the camera, photographer, guest books, flowers etc

good luck and dont forget about music.

second option is to take to pocket the ££££ and go on holiday :D

Ibtisam   

^^Faith has closed down since.

Ms Moons; I am a wedding planner- I've been planning wedding since I was 12!! (No lie) laakin I learnt there is no point planning a Somali wedding, no one listens.

Last wedding I helped plan- 30mins before the men arrived for the Mehr, the boys mothers friends arrived and decided they did not like the way I did the stage (the bride told me she wanted Gold and cream set) anyway they turned up carrying their own curtain (for lack of better word to use) and covers for the chairs to cover the stage with. The thing looked hideous- a war nearly broke out over it. It stayed for the half the day, but when it was time for the bride to walk in we had to changed quickly coz otherwise miid shank u socota bey ahedy (Bride-zila on steroids) she will kill the old lady and bury her with the curtain.

My advise: Get foreign secuirty WHO will throw out anyone without invites and get a pre-set venue like hotel rather than doing your own deco.

P.s. Ladies only wedding-cuntaad uu baadi, they like to take food home and get a big dance floor which is non slippery :eek:

Mabrook

Juxa   

lol@cuntada ubadi

i did not know faith closed down, waan danbeeyaa i no longer am new bride ( time to renew the vows)

i agree with ibti, get a venue that caters for all, avoid doing your own decoration at all cost

security guard would never work,,.. people will be offended and blame particulary your parents

marka get enough food... i like ladies only party,,quite fun

Chimera   

Dear sister, plan your wedding, but remind yourself that there will still be life the day after. Most soon-to-be-brides I have spoken with are convinced they are going straight to heaven on their wedding night(nada pun intendido), forgetting their real lives begins when everything calms down. You don't want to wake up with a big bill to pay, trust me this was the achilles heel of a lot of couples who loved eachother, yet the money problems suddenly made them spot all the small things they dislike about eachother and their families, and in their minds it magnified a trillion fold, ha!, now their divorced, and the ones losing out in the end are those cute little babbies, may Allah (swt) make the future easy for them.

If you can afford it, do it, if you can't, use common sense. smile.gif

Aaliyyah   

Ibti like Chocolate said I did not want to promote the mix wedding ideology (that is its definitely better to have only girls party yacni if you cant control the party and you know it could go out of control and a lot of unsilamic things can happen,,,) and thanks im doing good hope for u the same if not better.

But, rather my point was that it is a good thing if you can have good mixed wedding just like pakistanis and indians do. You dont have to make it seem like a club ( most somali mixed weddings tend to be club like)...

I remember attending a somali mixed wedding buuq iyo qaxar...and the next room there was a pakistani wedding hadaan qaylo maqalnay. I am sure they were having the same fun as Somalis but rather in a polite fashion. Yacni they understand the meaning of a wedding. Wedding is one time thing and you want it to be nice and professional not meel ciyaalsuuq maanto dhan dance floor sida ugu qaabdaran uu dance gareenaya...(tan kale the ppl who are getting married I wonder sometimes how can they even do that to their own family yacni awoowgay oo mesha fadhiya ama ayeeyoda abahya hoyaday maba rabayo dad dance floor si xun ugu ciyaraya yacni ihtiraam walidka iyo ehelka aya mesha ka maqan wedding is not a club it is not about having fun with your friends i mean partly but it is more of a family thing a start of a new family and you surely dont wanna start in the wrong way..)

and I am glad you guys understood me. For minute I thought i sounded unislamic there lool and did not want to be misunderstood..lool

If you can afford it, do it, if you can't, use common sense. [smile]

Adam, I don't think the girl was asking you to be her financial advisor but rather how she should go about organizing her party. With that been said mashallah you gave some good advice there..laakin who gets married without a wedding? I mean I seen ppl do that but really...wedding is a one night thing and its for you to cherish the rest of your life..something that you are entitled to have. Even the prophet csw said so...ma aqaan dadkan masaajida keena arooska? yacni wa fahmay meherka lagu qabto masjidka laakin gabadho masjid iskusoo aruuraya for a wedding? I think masaajido waa for worshipping. They should distinguish between the two. A girl and evne a guy deserve to spend some money and have a wedding okey maybe not spend too much but spend something..tan kale why rush? someone can just wait till they get their career in place...or at least marry mid iska shaqeesta oo aroos wacan ku dhigi kara....

Ladies you deserve a wedding. Never settle for "walaal meher uun baan dhigaya wanaa iskaka so xaresanaya"...waxa layidhi easy come easy go...ama ayeeyday say dhahdo nin raqiis kugu so xareestay barina wuu ka dhaqaajin. I know religiously aroosba aroosku kasii lacag yaryahay wuu ka khyr badanyahay laakin aroos ma dhigayo meher bas..shekadaas xita diinta ma ogola...gabadho yaana nili khiyaameen wa iga talo :D

salaam