Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

AT was right, Sharif not a leader

…but the Caravan was a great ride :D

In all seriousness, and by any standard, Sharif has failed to size the historical moment he was afforded with, not by particular skills of his, but by fate. In his tenure as TFG leader, millions of dollars has been spent, hundreds of lives lost, and thousands more injured, and many properties destroyed not to expand the TFG authority as done in the past or complete the reconciliation process, but to defend a mere presidential perimeter. His nice utterances have not been matched with the practical strategies the task of reviving Somalia required. Two years are gone by, and the man still talks empty, even when he is at loss of words he has the audacity to mumble the nonsense of securing Mogadishu or defeating alshabaab. The failure is clear, and it’s one of leadership. What is lamentable is the fact he seems not to know when to quit, as any wise man would’ve done. Granted he is no man of qabiil, has no warlord tendency, and he is blessed with that human stroke of innocence, but he lacks the seriousness and the urgency, which the situation requires. And that is the biggest of factor in his colossal failure in leading.

Surely the momentum is with alshabaab, politically and militarily and especially in the south, but they are not invincible. Somalia’s Muslim scholars from Hargeysa, to Boosaaso, to Mogadishu have played their role albeit belatedly and made clear that alshabaabs way is not the way as they have no credence from the religion in whose name they fight. Alas only if a man with the right qualities to capture this moment emerges…

As one talks to Somalis, one contemplates the possibility of them becoming swallowed in prevailing spheres of influences ie Ethiopia, and Kenya, and not ever coming back to any appreciable significance. Such was the fate of many nations before us as history teaches us…

Sharif Ahmed is a clanist, who worked for Ali Mahdi and Mohamed Dheere his close kinsmen, who led the ICU which was exclusively based on the power of his clan and funded by another cousin, Abukar Cumar Cadaan. This is the man who fooled the most gullible; the weak of our nation by pretending to be a pious man of faith and in the process triggered the greatest mass slaughter in the history of Somalia. He is a historical figure of immense infamy, the first “leader” in Somalia’s history to have tried and given away Somali territory.

He was amusing to say the least, but anyone with an ounce of intelligence could see that this man was as empty as his expression and literaly out of his depth. He still has a role to play, one that might surprise everyone.

Thank you. It takes big man to admit his assessment of Sharif was off base. Now only if we will admit to ourselves, governments parachuted into Villa Somalia will nothing to change the reality.

It was clear from the outset what Sharif was a deputy to Muuse Sudi in Balcad, this is known to people if we do not prescribe to the revised biography of his.

A mere judge in a warlord's fiefdom, a poor soul who was a macalin dugsi in southern Somalia, a man who went on tahriib to Libya but then when he got scared of the waves of the Mediterranean decided not to die but rather live, a man described as an geography teacher, with no history of elitism or prestige either by birth or merit.

What else was expected from him after the americans hastingly parachuted him to Villa Somalia as a divisive tactic and derail the process by creating splinter groups within the ranks of the former clan courts.

Shariif, Illahay Keyr ha siiyo. Halyey halyey dhalay weeye. Soomaaliya madaxweene asaga dhaama ma abidkeed ma soo marin, ee Ilaahayow noo daa Shiikh Dalxiis. icon_razz.gif

Xaalka siyaasadeed ee Soomaaliya wax sahlan oo fudud ma'aha.

If you were expecting one person to miraculously solve Soomaaliya's siyaasad that easily and so soon -- then it is about time you evaluated your high hopes than evaluating Shariif's leadership quality.

Shariif intuu awoodi karo in uu sameeyo waa awooday, iskuna daye. I don't think anyone would have done or faired any better.

And in the next ten years, no leader in the rank of Shariifka would Soomaaliya have. Wax dhaamo hadda, in the near future ma heyno ka ahayn Shariifka and his group, even with some people's allegations and accusation of their perceived lack of political competency. They are the last hope of Soomaaliya.

It is not about Shariifka and co. -- they are individuals berina baxaayo. However, the very foundation of Soomaali state is at stake on here. Koox kale oo meesha joogto oo qeyr iyo wanaagba Soomaali iyo Soomaaliya usoo wado ma jirto.

RedSea   

Some people are born with leadership qualities and some people acquire through life experience. Unfortunately the young Mr. Hotel has neither. It was clear from the get go that he had no agenda to operate that is why he did 360 and tried to run against the grain. You can't do that. You have to have agenda and clear plan laid out. I think what Somalia needs is no nonsense leader, yet logical and kind but at the same time not wielding what he believes for others while being flexible and understanding.

Sheekha ha la iska dhaafo ,,, it was just another try to divide the Islamists but he was not capable of leading such chaotic country.

Time to think the Next One .......... (if there is a next) ...

Abtigiis   

I commend my dear friend Xinnfanin for the flexibility he has shown here. Uncharacteristic for sure, but not untimely. He has now deservedly earned the title of a 'the wise man of SOL', which he was, but was embellished at times by his intransigence on certain issues.

I agree with what he said here. That Sharif is a preacher not a leader. But I think change of leadership right now is not a priority. Granted, Omer Abdirashid and other more organised people could run the governmnet better. But I think for the coming few months, the priority must be to launch an all-out war on Shabab (hopefully the IGAD defense team will come up with a good plan which doesn't involve Ethiopians).

We will need the clan cover of Sharif for now. At least until Shabab is eradicated from Banaadir and Shabeelooyinka. Once this happens, he should be discarded and serious leaders must take the job of leading the nation out of the abyss.

I am sure Xinn's change of mind is coming from his genuine desire to see the rebirth of the statehood of Somalia. His patriotic credentials are glittering. But cynics might also take this transformation with a pinch of a salt. It has coincided with a period when Sharif is not popular among Puntlanders, because he is involved in power struggle with the Prime Minister. I am not among the cynics this time, though.

I don't question Xinnfanin's good heart on this matter.

N.O.R.F   

he lacks the seriousness and the urgency, which the situation requires.

Thats what it boils down to.

My main gripe is that the man has shown no PR noose whatsoever. You won't hear a word from him. Last week's Uganda bombings he could have capitalised on but he stayed schtum.

Thats just one example.

Shiekh aamusan'e.

when will we understand its not a matter of who or the method (che's parachuting) but the people who are the source of this inability to form a government and will perpetually find reasons to oppose even the most saintly of leaders? not to sound pessimistic but the search for a solution for this seemingly insatiable taste for anarchy seems to exhausted. in my opinion, its time embrace what ever method will result in complete disarmament or to start arming everyone...