Sign in to follow this  
Lidia

Siyad Barre, the Ataturk of Somalia?

bilan   

come on horn, have you ever been to somalia before the war or have relatives who were there, because everyone knows that hijab was not allowed in schools during bare's regime, he changed the inheritance saying there's nothing called thumun and sudus, his voice is recorded saying that, mocking the quran, and killed 10 men when they refused that. my aunts who were gov. workers in 70s were forbidden to wear hijab and forced to wear pants, so bro find something to defend the man, but do not deny things that are as clear as a day light.

Gabbal   

Good Bilan

I am well aware Siad Barre's rule was a dictatorship and, as a result, there are much more who were opposed to his rule because of personal, religious, and most often clannish reasons then there were those who weren't. His autocratic rule and whatever his various policies were are not my contention. A young man went so far as to allege that Siad Barre, like Ataturk, banned the hijab and banned the salaat.

Where? When? What law? What specific code? What article? What line?

Covering in the education system depended on the individual teacher. A teacher might have removed students for not wearing the appropriate "uniform", which might not have included the hijab, while in the same institution another teacher might removed students for also not wearing the "uniform", which might have included the hijab.

The policy of the government concerning such issue was non-existent, yet some of us allege it altogether banned it! Where did they live that we didn't live? When did they live that we didn't live?

bilan   

horn, i have not heard he banned salat, and i asked older people , and they said he never did; however they said he use to give long speeches, and most of the time he would start a little before the maqrib prayer and would not stop till it becomes dark and most people were afraid to leave for salat(it was mandatory for all gov workers to attend those speeches) and also guards would not allow anyone to leave during the speech, did anyone ask and he refused, i do not know, but hijab there is no argument about it, and the code was equality between sexes for everything from the dress code to inheritance, and no bro, it was not up to teachers to decide, it was goverment policy,and basicly girls had two options either hijab or drop out, i am sure they had more freedom once they are in the unversity,atleast later on. ask anyone who is neutral and they will tell you that

Jacpher   

^^Leave the man alone. Horn neither sees nor hears of evil when it comes to adeeryaalo.

Keep the purification going. You’ll rewrite history in no time.

Gabbal   

Labadiina oo is dabo-socone lama waynayo.

horn, i have not heard he banned salat, and i asked older people , and they said he never did;

Then what are we debating about, good Bilan?

bilan   

hijab hon, you were insisting that he never banned hijab, when he did.if you really want to find the truth it is easy, but it seems that's not your aim, so enjoy the show.

Kashafa   

Aight, Horn.. Tell me what you would accept as the 'pudding' and I'll happily serve it. Example: A scanned copy of Dictatorial Decree X7383345 explicitly banning the hijab under pain of death by camel-trampling. Whatever it is that'll make you a believer, I got it, brah.

You're missing the point here. This whole thread is a comparison of Attaurk & Barre's rule. As I've hammered on over and over again, both men were fierce secularists, both men were military career men who owed everything they had to the Army. Both men decided to 'modernise' their country by getting rid of what they considered backward practices. Attaurk codified it, Barre didn't. What difference does that make ? Barre set up entire instituions that were in direct conflict with Islam(Orientation centers), and which preached hanti-wathaag, among other BS. If those 'centers of enlightment' forbid young women from wearing the hijab or prevent Muslims from praying, who's responsible ? Let's say it together: Awoowe Jalle President/Dictator Siad Barre(you might wanna add the usual 'naxaaristo' here). The buck stops at the top.

Now if you can't get over the hijab issue, let's discuss bigger crimes Barre committed against Islam. Let's start with the Family Law and the subsequent shahaada of the 11 scholars. Care to give us your version of what really happened ?

was siyaad bare a good ruler?No.Was he a dictator?Yes.What do dictators do?They use any means possible to secure their control of power.Did he use his powers to destroy pple or to suppress pple?Yes he did.

I don't see why we have to argue about siyaad bare,atleast he was a man who knew what he wanted unlike the present so called politicians or men of power. smile.gif

Kamaavi   

President, Major General Mohamed Siad Barre

Lived: 1919, Shilabo, Ethiopia - 02/01/1995, Lagos, Nigeria

In power: 15/10/1969 - 26/01/1991

Mohamed Siad Barre was born in 1919 in the city roce Shilabo in Ethiopia. As a young orphan and fed with pastevectvím, not yet been obtained formal education. He was sent military school in Italy, and when Somalia achieved independence in 1960 he was made a colonel in its army. He seized power in a bloodless coup after the president's assassination in 1969. Under Siad Barre, Somali forces invaded a disputed area in southeastern Ethiopia in 1977, but they were eventually repelled. His government was charged with widespread human rights abuses, and from 1988 government forces repeatedly clashed with rebels. With Somalia in a state of civil war and on the brink of mass starvation, he fled into exile in Nigeria in 1991

Read more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siad_Barre

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siad_Barre http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siad_Barre

http://www.answers.com/topic/siad-barre http://www.answers.com/topic/siad-barre

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Dajiye:

not yet been obtained formal education. He was sent military school in Italy, and when Somalia achieved independence in 1960 he was made a colonel in its army.

Exactly what is happening today. Former militia now Colonels & generals. No wonder in Soomaaliya sidaan u burburtay illeen odayaashii horena was from geelleey to college talyaaniga iyo Ruushka ku yaal to generals...

Ar sidaan si maahan!