Sign in to follow this  
Reality Check

Are Mosques really sister-friendly?

If we need a solution for the space problem, I suggest the men deal with the pray-while-keeping-toddler-from-being-trampled-by-worshippers scenario. All the kids can go in with them. :)

It seems to me the men are jumping to the defence of their gender. The boys doth protest too much.

The fact is most mosques around the world don't even have a section for the women. There is no option if there is no option given to the women. It's simple.

How many mosques in the rich Gulf states have women areas? This isn't only about economics. To claim that they won't use it is defeatist. If the space is to be used for teaching, learning and prayer, the women should be encouraged to attend when they can. A blanket assumption robs them of the opportunity.

The mosque isn't all about the prayers. In the West, isn't it even more vital to have a fully functional, all-encompassing haven?

OG_Girl   

How many mosques in the rich Gulf states have women areas? This isn't only about economics.

Verry little. Except Ramadan, there is no women rooms in all masjids they all are closed and open only in Ramadan for Taraweeh.

Yes sister is not economic problems BUT is that women shouldn't go to masjid as they believe. Any ways I was born and raised in Arab country and I never in my live been in Masjid exept Masjid al haram, BUT still I don't see why they don't let women who wants to go to worship go and worship!!!

Salam

VIKINGS...

Yes, the author exaggerated quite a bit but she has a "source", don't blame her choice of words, but blame her muslim sources...Those women who acted as if someone threw them out of the masjid, they overreacted and she just put it on paper, simple as that.

Author's religion is not irrelevant, nor is the owner of the new york times intentions, stick to what's infront of you, listen to what these forum members are telling you and start coming with ways to deal with the issue that is at hand.

Yes, you are right, no one has to be a genius to figure out what the actual meaning behind this article was about, but that is not what we are discussing here, and I don't understand why you insist on talking about it???

Thanks to everyone who replied to this topic.

Its funny though that not one man stood up and said what majority of the women here are stating about the realities of the modern mosque and its accomodation towards women. This is not a feminist issue. It's simply an issue.

Mosques should be central to our community, right? Where the local muslims gather, pray together, socialize, initiate programs for that community. If there are no space for women in the mosques, what does that say about the community? That they are leaving women out. Yes, some mosques are integrating women more and more, but the issue here, some are not! I know what the nearest mosque is like where I live, and as a woman I would feel awkward even going through the entrance, and it shouldn't have to be that way.

To salafi, Thank you for stating that women get LESS rewards for going to the house of ALLAH. Too bad I've never read a quran verse that said that. What if a woman wants to be the best muslim she can, and go to the house of Allah to pray or to make taraweeh.....we should kick her out because obviously she should be in the house right? makes alot of sense. But then again, not everyone is a Salafi!

As for the source, sorry, I look for content and facts...and if this happens to be dirty laundry for our community, then its a sad shame that someone not muslim had to air it out, because we simply can't.

Here's one gone too far.

Indian Muslim Asra Nomani has found herself on the frontline of a battle for women's rights in Islam in the United States.

She entered the local mosque through the front door and dared to pray alongside men, an act that has triggered heated discussions among America's Muslim community.

An all-male "tribunal" of the mosque in Morgantown, West Virginia, wants to banish Ms Nomani because they think she is a frequent trouble-maker.

In their campaign to silence her, she has been depicted as heretical, misguided and westernized, someone in need of reform.

They argue that women should only be allowed to enter a mosque through the back door, pray from the balcony and quietly go home.

Ms Nomani's family fully supports her campaign (Photo by Jackson Lynch)

But a woman like Ms Nomani - articulate, deeply religious and independent-minded - simply does not fit their version of a true believer.

"I have demanded a public hearing but they denied it," Ms Nomani said.

"They pulled names out of a plastic bag to sit on the tribunal. It has been hell and it would have been easy to walk away.

"But I am finding support from many people who don't want to accept the status quo. And I find my answers in Islam."

Deeply religious

For Ms Nomani, who was born in Bombay (Mumbai) nothing would be more painful than being rejected as a Muslim by her local mosque because religion is her strength.

She sees herself as a progressive modern woman who is also religious: there is no contradiction in her mind.

Ms Nomani comes from a deeply religious Muslim family, but one which she says tries to embody the spirit of Islam rather than the outward symbols such as wearing veils.

Her parents, originally from Hyderabad in India, moved to the US when she was four and today her extended family is spread all over the world.

Ms Nomani has written a book too

Her father, a retired professor who helped build the mosque in Morgantown, supports her struggle to pray in the main hall and her larger quest to find her identity within Islam.

But standing up and defying convention, specially in a conservative Muslim community, has taken a toll on his health. He was taken to the hospital last week with breathing problems.

Nomani, a journalist who has written for The Wall Street Journal and the New York Times, is today juggling life between finding a lawyer to help her in the dispute and looking after her 20-month-old son, Shibli.

Unwed mother

Support for her campaign outside her family within the Muslim community is muted: her demands for an open hearing with the mosque authorities have received little support.

She has however received backing in internet chat rooms and in articles that appear on liberal Muslim websites such as Muslimwakeup.com and altmuslim.com.

It is not just Ms Nomani's defiance of mosque prayer arrangements that raised local blood levels but also her status as a single unwed mother.

She says the Muslims in her area do not accept or understand her.

Members of the executive committee of the Morgantown mosque say Ms Nomani has challenged time-honoured Islamic traditions.

They say that men and women are separated because they have to kneel down to the floor and their shoulders can touch when they stand side by side.

Both men and women want privacy as a result, they say.

Some women in the mosque accuse Ms Nomani of being a "publicity hound," using her journalistic skills to write strong opinion pieces in support of her unfair views.

In our mosque, only the men are allowed to use a microphone to address the faithful

Asra Nomani

That she chooses to speak about her dispute has shaken the male-dominated world created by people she derisively refers to as "true believers."

She and six other Muslim women, all writers and academics, recently formed an organization to tackle what they say are interpretations of Islam which relegate women to a secondary role.

'Sexual provocation'

Ms Nomani argues that it is wrong that women are prevented from attending some mosques in the US, yet are allowed to pray together at Islam's holiest shrine in Mecca.

According to the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a growing number of US mosques are putting women behind a partition or in another room to pray.

A survey suggests that segregated mosques in the US rose from 52% in 1994 to 66% in 2000

A survey done by the group shows that segregated mosques rose from 52% in 1994 to 66% in 2000.

"In our mosque, only the men are allowed to use a microphone to address the faithful," Ms Nomani said. "When I asked why, a mosque leader said that a woman's voice is not to be heard in the mosque.

"What he meant was that a woman's voice - even raised in prayer - is an instrument of sexual provocation to men.

"Many women accept these rulings: their apathy makes these rules become the status quo."

Ms Nomani says that she is campaigning for a more inclusive Islam.

Part of that, she says, is created by underlying divisions between South Asian and Arab Muslims which came to the fore as she began questioning what she said were hate-filled sermons by Arab students who had taken over her mosque.

Ms Nomani argues that Morgantown is a microcosm of what is happening in mosques across the US.

Muslim women in California, Minnesota and Maryland are against the practice of "herding" women in small rooms like sheep where much of the time they cannot hear the preacher, she says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3926461.stm

Rahima   

it's true... they are not 'woman friendly' (at least the ones i've been to)

but that's totally understandable. Women really have no business in a mosque. men have to pray there (we have no choice, God’s law says so).

Such comments are only the offspring of ignorance. Please get educated, allow me to help you with the following hadiths:

Narrated Salim from his father, ‘Abd Allah bin ‘Umar, that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: "When women ask permission for going to the mosque, do not prevent them." (Saheeh Muslim)

'Abd Allah bin ‘Umar reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (SAW) say: "Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque when they seek your permission." Bilaal bin ‘Abd Allah said: By Allah! We shall certainly prevent them. On this, ‘Abd Allah bin ‘Umar turned towards him and reprimanded him so harshly as I had never heard him do before. He (‘Abd Allah bin ‘Umar) said: I am narrating to you that which comes from the Messenger of Allah (SAW) and you (dare) say: By Allah! We shall certainly prevent them. (Saheeh Muslim)

Ibn ‘Umar reported: The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: "Do not prevent women from going to the Mosque at night." A boy said to ‘Abd Allah bin ‘Umar: We would never let them go out, that they may not be caught in evil. He (the narrator) said: Ibn ‘Umar reprimanded him and said: I am saying that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said this, but you say: We would not allow! (Saheeh Muslim)

As for the issue at hand, of course some masjids are not sister friendly. However, allow me to remind you sisters, it is only Allah that provides complete justice, so do not expect a human being to be completely just (especially considering that the iman of mankind in general is so low). Therefore, take a pro-active stance and make a difference in your community.

Alxamdullilah in my area, such problems do not exist.

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Conscious Manupilation (Your name is real Looong!)

thanx for the Scarrrry article.

These are the challenges that are awaiting muslims

in the near future in every masjid and home.

Ya Allah! :eek:

I think that the most of the sisters that have responded in favour of this 'ARTICLE' by NY POST or the issue of Women going to MASJIDS, are

welllllllll-SINGLE and NOT MARRIED, DON'T HAVE KIDS!!!! These are HUGGGGGGGGGGGE FACTORSSSSSSSS

to considddder from the respondents b/c individual responses are usually affected by a

person's SITUATIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES (Daruuf!)

So we can't really have an 'OBJECTIVE' debate on this issue if it is btwn MEN v. WOMEN.

This is an issue that can best be answered btwn

WOMEN V. WOMEN

Perhaps, a sister that lives in the Eastern part of the world (OG Girl exempted!) or who grew up in a traditional society or who is married and has kids would give some of you a traditional response. The MALE NOMADS can't get the job done right in this case b/c no mattter what we sayyyyyy

we will look SEXIESSSSSSSSSSST!!!

Fi Amanillah

NGONGE   

I thought Rahima did a very good job above, saaxib. Don’t really think her marital statues or cultural background make much of a difference here.

Viking   

Devil's Advocate,

Its funny though that not one man stood up and said what majority of the women here are stating about the realities of the modern mosque and its accomodation towards women. This is not a feminist issue. It's simply an issue.

It's not only the brothers who don't share your views. You are the one making it a feminist issue by ignoring what some sisters said. Look at the response from sisters who didn't share your view...

Ameenah...

There are some very good Mosques in London. London Central Mosque and Al-Tawheed (Leyton) and East Londonall have two sections for sisters. One area they can eat and sit with their kids and another that is exclusive for prayer. Alxamdulilah. I think most new Masjids are taking this on board.

Yasmine...

Are mosques really sister-friendly? I think the answers vary depending on personal experience. Of the ones I’ve seen in Canada, I would say yes. If you live in a metropolitan area, especially one with a large Muslim population, there are usually many mosques to choose from if you don’t find a particular one accommodating.

Here is a link that can be useful...

http://www.islam.tc/ask-imam/view.php?q=2291

Warmoog   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

However, and lets be honest with each other here without waving that tiresome feminist flag, women don't usually go to mosques in big numbers. They only do so on the big occasions such as Eid prayers.

I also know that in most of the mosques I’ve been to, there were not that many women attending regular prayers (even in those mosques that provide women quarters). I’m not really sure how you could call it “questionableâ€!

Are those two statements the same to you? I called the first one questionable because that’s exactly what it is. You did not use the words “in most of the mosques I’ve been toâ€, as you’re doing now, or add anything to indicate it being based on your own experiences. You made it seem as if it would hold true for every circumstance and in every mosque. That’s why I called it questionable. With your latter statement, I think you’re just trying to underhandedly rectify the previous one… instead of, perhaps, admitting a mistake.

Here we go splitting hairs again (all in the name of feminism, eh?).

What are we going to ask for next? Women and men praying side by side?

I’m not going to reward those silly comments with a serious response, but I suggest you save the melodrama and accusations of “feminism†for a different topic and, more importantly, someone who cares. I’m done here.

Khayr, u seem to imply knowing what the traditional response would be? I'm genuinely interested: what is it?

Married women with children are the ones who feel the lack of a mosque or the smallness of its allocated space the most. That is their Daruuf. There is such a thing as empathy and many of us have mentioned their struggle when responding to this post. These women are less likely to go as they have much on their hands and when they want to go, they either can't or face an uncomfortable visit.

I'm not sure what would convince some people that there is a norm to forget the women when building these mosques. Are our first-hand accounts not sufficient? Somebody somewhere may have the numbers to support this for any given town.

I grew up in the East and in the 'traditional' way Khayr hints at and I never saw the inside of a mosque! Tradition is nothing more than the ways of a people at a certain point in time. It was not traditional to leave women out of mosques at the Prophet's(pbuh) time but it sure is now. If that's a tradition some want upheld, then we have a huge problem.

Nobody is supporting the writer of this article

and whether DA was right to use this article to highlight the situation is down to personal opinion. What we can not get away from is the fact that the majority of mosques do not cater to women.

NGONGE   

Yasmine, still splitting hairs I see?

Just before you go can you please tell me that you’re not seriously trying to argue that women go to mosques in huge numbers? (In any part of the world).

Cumra and Xaj would not count here of course. As for silly remarks, what did you expect? (Not you personally). The arguments being put forward were silly to start with. The people who replied to it did so with good (in most parts) replies yet it was still a men versus women topic. Answer this in a sensible and unemotional manner and you’ll happily be excused.

Yasmine, still splitting hairs I see?

Just before you go can you please tell me that you’re not seriously trying to argue that women go to mosques in huge numbers? (In any part of the world).

Actually, Women don't go in huge numbers because they've been taught that its not "obligatory" therefore, their presence is not required at the mosque.

Don't put the blame on feminism. That battle for women's rights was happening during the prophet's time, and it sure is still happening today.