Sign in to follow this  
Reality Check

Are Mosques really sister-friendly?

Actually my experience disproves your point, waayo I ENJOYED IT. So if at least two women made use of it, then it's all good. Plus I think the Turks make use of it more for so social activities than strictly prayers. Furthermore considering it is in a fairly small city, is it any wonder the mosque is under-subscribed? If it was in London you KNOW, you just know it would be filled to the brim every evening and weekend. In fact if some of my SOL sisters could have been there with me they would have loved it as much as I did, to the extend we would still be there today, 3 days later!

This kind of experience shouldn't be so novel for us sisters. We should be able to enjoy it every day!

NGONGE   

^^ Joking aside, I have now changed my mind about women in mosques. In the past, I had no problem with the idea and thought that women should demand (through the right channels) to be given more spaces. Now though, I am fully against the idea of women going to mosques. My reasons?

* They make an awful racket

* They forget where they are

* Many leave their kids at home in order to be seen in a mosque

* Somali women are mad

* They pick and choose mosques according to the sweet voices of the Imams there :D

Dee naga daaya.

LoL...the last two are rubbish. The rest you might have a point, but men are hardly angels either. Mobiles ringing in the middle of prayers, laughter and conversation when people are praying, some even pick up their phones and have a chat before meeshii ey kaga tageen salaada ka qabsadaan.

Adigu naga daa!

--------------------

This is on a side note, but did you hear the story of the islaan who fell in love with the local imaam's voice? Every call to prayer she would mutter 'Alla sheekhu cod macaanaa', 'Allah wadaadku aadaan fiicanaa'. Maalintii dambe ayaa odeygeedaa fed-up ka noqdey islaanta iyo wadaadka amaantiisa, markaasuu intuu imaamka iska dhigay ayuu fariin u diray islaanta oo uu ku balamiyey geed hoostii. Wakhtigii balanta markii lagaaday, ayuu intuu cimaamad ku soo duubtay madaxa ayuu islaantii budh la dhacay oo gacanta iyo lugta eey taagtoba ka jabiyey.

That evening, the husband came home like nothing happened and when it was time for the aadaan he remarked mildly 'heblaayooy wadaadkaad jeclayd waa kaa eedaamaya', markaasay tidhi 'War iga daa hadalkiisa wadaadka waxaa la lahaa islaamuhuu meel heblaayo ku budheeyaa'.

---------------------

LoL...I don't know if I told it right or if you understood it fully, but I love these sorts of stories! Somalidii hore nooc kale ayey ahaayeen! Maybe I should start a thread to collect these kinds of stories.

NGONGE   

^^ Love the story (even more so as it proves my point). :D

As for the two other points you rejected, well I suppose you would (being a woman and all that). But I would be interested if someone does a survey one of those days and finds out how many women leave their underage kids at home whilst going to the mosque (in Ramadan mostly). I find it IMPOSSIBLE that ALL these women are either single or have found readymade babysitters. As for being mad, I've been tempted to start a thread that proves it but didn't want to upset Juxa (I only try not to upset Juxa, mind. Other women are too mad to sue me).

Even Juxa knows there would be no benefit in suing you. Waxaa la sue-gareeya dadka maalka leh.

Those with young children usually put the kids to bed and have one of their relatives keep an eye on them during ramadan. I think good on them. Ramadan is just one-month and an effort should be made to pray taraawiix if circumstances permit it. Where there is a will, there is a way, NG, and Somali women are very serious about their religion and cibaada these days. No man can stand in their way or stop them from going to the masjid. Awful racket or not.

NGONGE   

^^ Somali women are mad ban ku idhi. This mosque-going fad is nothing but an attempt to keep appearnces (I suspect). But that does not annoy me as much as the Somali TV callers. :D

Maybe the ladies should adopt the chines model. The chinese muslims have mosques exclusively for the ladies. They have Imam women (just for women). If you women adopt this model, this will offset the previously problems of mosques not being women 'friendly'.