Sign in to follow this  
Reality Check

Are Mosques really sister-friendly?

NGONGE   

^^^ I don't see a battle. I see moaning and whinging with no action. What suggestion do you actually have here?

^ I don't see any moaning and whining, but its nice to know that's what you think when people are discussing a topic. I don't appreciate you playing on the stereotypical feminine emotions here Ngonge.

I will reiterate that this is a discussion.

NGONGE   

A discussion my dear, entails you giving your opinion and accepting the opinions of others (even if you don’t agree with them). What’s been happening here does not resemble a discussion at all. Most of those you disagree with have agreed that mosques are not women-friendly. Some gave their reasons why they think this is so while others tried to excuse it. I’m not going to go on about other individuals but if you read my previous posts you will see that I suggested that this should be taken up with mosque authorities. I also wondered if mosques could be designed in such a way whereby if one prayer happens to have lots of women in it, the space can be instantly provided to accommodate them. I mentioned the economical restraints that prevent most mosques from providing great spaces for non-existent women worshippers and the idea of supply and demand. That was just me; many others had very valid points (IMHO) too.

What was your reply to that?

Its funny though that not one man stood up and said what majority of the women here are stating about the realities of the modern mosque and its accommodation towards women. This is not a feminist issue. It's simply an issue.

Do you still consider this to be a discussion?

Don’t worry about “the stereotypical feminine emotions†by the way. These days, the men engage in that more than the women do (you just have to read the political section and all the wailing and wringing of hands there to see that). I do not discriminate when it comes to pointless arguments, dear.

If you and others (men and women) seriously want to make this a useful discussion you’ve got to try harness the anger a little.

I don’t apologies for these comments but if they hurt you in any way then I do apologise. It’s only words on a screen......

Baashi   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Don’t worry about “the stereotypical feminine emotions†by the way. These days, the men engage in that more than the women do (you just have to read the political section and all the wailing and wringing of hands there to see that). I do not discriminate when it comes to pointless arguments, dear.

It is unmanly to squirt...that is unmanly my friend. I regard as unbecoming a man to attack nomads underhand in a deceitful manner. In politics section, we discuss and sometimes voice strong opinions with matters of large importance even though we have no way of influencing the facts on the ground. You tend to brush other nomads “forum-ing†style off as being emotional or their posts as pointless arguments. As if your posts are devoid of emotions or as if your opinions and arguments has higher and nobler ends than those who tend to congregate in politics section.

Stop dealing with nomads in a patronizingly superior manner. If you really think what you post are only words on screen then consider other nomads posts just that “words on the screen†and don’t read into emotions or be judgmental...if you want to talk about whose post has a point then go to the thread in question and let your views known there.

Having said that don’t for a second think I’m being emotional there :D ...it is words on screen dear just words. Plz don't start rolling ur eyes...what kind of emotion is that :D

NGONGE   

Heh. Calm down now, saaxib. My criticism of the politics section stands. Nothing underhand about that.

As for “dealing with nomads in a patronizingly superior manner†that’s just your perception. Now I know that I’m great, the bees knees in fact. But, it’s not my fault that you guys regard me as superior to you and attempt to dissect and interpret every word I utter.

Yes, it is only words on a screen but so far that only seems to apply to a few others and me. Like I advised the sister earlier, you need to harness your emotion a little, saaxib.

DA, see? A man getting emotional there! Need I say more?

I’m going home now. Hope you leave me some nice calm messages for when I come back in the morning. Have a nice day. :D

Baashi   

Aah! taking deep breath dankis! :D I’m calm now...whatever happened my good-natured self :D ...is that what happens when someone disagrees your characterization of others as being emotional. Everyone is emotional except you and the few that have the privilage of being selected by the one and only you - the great one. No no it is not perception...I think...no in fact I know you are the greatest nomad and I insist on it.

You see, you just have to accept your greatness. You see your words are not only “words on screen†we value so much that we just had to dissect and interpret every word you utter.

Don’t you see we are harnessing our “emotions†by forcing you to spill more wisdom for us to better our “forum-ing†skills.

Don’t gimme that pal! C’mon now! I mean I even - the emotional one - know two or three about arrogance!

Do I have to smile to hide my emotions too ok! smile.gif there u have it. How I look...no you don't see me...do u have to rely on "words on the screen" to dissect or interpret to conclude that I am infact beaming with emotions.

maxaa ii keentay oops!

Tuujiye   

Does of you who are quarrelling with DA have to recognize that, what ever you say, It won’t vary her mind because is already made up.

If you think you have answered the right way guess again. She denies your point whether is wright or wrong or even if she know that’s true.

EX.

By Allah we muslim should only seek that which benefits us! As Aisha said, when The prophet of Allah(saw) was faced with two situation he would choose the easiest one! In the End sisters, Allah will weigh our deed on the scale, So Why oh why would you want to go to the Masjid to receive less rewards, shouldnt we all strife to Maximize our good deeds? And I agree with the lack of space in the Sister section at the masjid, however think of it as a blessing, Allah only wishes the best for you!

This is what she said when Adiinul Nasiixa gave her this answer.

To salafi, Thank you for stating that women get LESS rewards for going to the house of ALLAH. Too bad I've never read a quran verse that said that. What if a woman wants to be the best muslim she can, and go to the house of Allah to pray or to make taraweeh.....we should kick her out because obviously she should be in the house right? makes alot of sense. But then again, not everyone is a Salafi!.

Now this sister didn’t look at the fact that this guy agrees with her point and he is even giving her more knowledge of her diin.

Now she contradicts her self when she is arguing with NGONGE so she could defend feminism. She writes this.

Actually, Women don't go in huge numbers because they've been taught that its not "obligatory" therefore, their presence is not required at the mosque.

I thought she didn’t believe in this on the above declaration and what ever happened to being better worshiper; I have to go to a mosque.

For the people who really understand the article buy the Jewish lady, please don’t bother to explain because this sister wouldn't have started this topic if she didn’t agree or been brain washed by Zionist theory of Islam weather they are right or wrong because their intension is not right when it comes to Islam.

I personally disagree with D.A and her contradicting arguments. And for does of you who fellow her footsteps, ya betta watch out cause y’all playing silly and dangerous game. Don’t just argue about things that you are not educated for.

Wareer Badanaa...

AYOUB   

Originally posted by Yasmine:

DA,

Are mosques really sister-friendly? I think the answers vary depending on personal experience. Of the ones I’ve seen in Canada, I would say yes.

Like I mentioned before most the Masjids i've been to in SW London have very good men's and ladies' section, in fact I know one which offers weekly 'keep fit' classes for ladies. On the other hand, i've been to Masjids in other areas where men have to pray outside and in the shoe section. I believe it shows more dedication its more rewarding if you persevere to offer prayers in places or conditions where one would not do if it was any other occasion.

If some of ladies have genuine intention of going to the Masjids and are not able to, Allah is the Knower and will reward them accordingly.

Originally by Devil's Advocate:

This is not a feminist issue. It's simply an issue.

If that's the case give examples (name of the Masjids) where women's sections are more overcrowded and have facilities you consider of a lesser standard compared to men's.

sis_med.jpg

Salaamz to everyone,

First, do excuse me because I didn't bother to read the preceding pages (no energy), so I'm going only by the title.

I cant say I go to the masjid often, despite the fact that I always promise myself to go to Juma prayers at least once a month. So my only experience of going to the masjid is for Eid prayers.

Now, I know Eid prayers are special simply because every Muslim regardless of gender probably prefers to pray at the masjid on Eid if they are able to. Consequently every masjid is super-crowded on Eid.

I cant deny that I did think our local Masjid was decidedly 'sister-unfriendly' the last time I was there. There were a lot of sisters there, but the brothers were triple our numbers. Even tho the masjid is relatively large and we used to have three designated areas on previous Eids, only one room was made available for the women this time and every other space was taken by the men. I cant tell you what a nightmare the situation turned into. Most of the sisters ended up praying on the staircases, in front of the lifts and outside. By the end of the whole ordeal I was practically in tears....being pushed and shoved, losing my shoes and being forcefully separated from my sisters wasn't my idea of an ideal Eid Prayer.

That is till I emerged from the women's section and saw the number of men who had to pray outside too. My anger more or less subsided then...the simple fact is that our masjid is too small to accomodate all the Muslims living in the Borough. I suspect most masjids in London share this problem.

Therefore, this Eid Insha'Allah...I will be sleeping over at my aunt's so I can go to Regent's park Mosque, the biggest masjid in the Capital! Hopefully, there wont be any crowding or space problems there, I'A, otherwise I might be forced to get into the habit of praying at home (which is no fun at all). :(

London-183.jpg

Originally posted by Feebaro:

Now this sister didn’t look at the fact that this guy agrees with her point and he is even giving her more knowledge of her diin.

Actually the brother was telling me that msoques are basically men's club because of a hadith that states you got extra ajar for praying at home. I asked him to give me a directive from the Koran, as every good muslim should ask and he didn't respond back. I don't take knowledge from heresay on the net, brother. That's just not logical.

Ayoub,

At the beginning, a sister made reference to the mosques in the U.K.. Unfortunately, it seems that mosques in my neck of the woods are not that advanced.

Aeryn,

At Eid time, the mosque attendance quadruples, and is in no way a representative of what the mosque is like on regular days. In Canada, we rent out huge halls for that because no regular mosque can hold the overflow of people, even if you have 3 separate prayers.

DA,

True...Eid prayers are not a good example...but that's the only time I use the masjid am afraid.

If the Masjids in your area are not up to par, why don't you lot do something about it? Do some research, try to get Muslim women in ur areas to get involved, start up a petition, collect signatures...GET CAMPAIGNING! Nothing will improve unless someone does something about it!

Samafal   

The answer to that question should be simple and done, that is if the enquirer is sincerer about going to the mosqoue for the sake of Allah. There are things that are an obligatory specificly to men alone (eg:Jihad) and there are equally things that are obligatory to women alone (eg:Hijab) and praying in the mosque is one of those things that is obligatory to men only. That means women are not required to go to the mosque to pray five times a day and its also more rewarding for them to pray at home than in the mosque as Hadith of the Prophet Mohamed SAW explained.

That said, we can not ignore that in the modern times the mosques became a place of the muslims educating and learning about their religion, for that objective to be realized, both women and men need to have access a space depending on the proportion of attendees.

But what saddens me is some people make this simple issue a big deal to serve their purpose of defending the so called rights of women, and make a base to attack Islam with feministic opinion at their heart and ultimate objective. I think they are resorting to feminism as they know is the only way of making the less islamicly educated, naive muslim women to stand up for what they call their rights, when there is no rights to fight in the first place, but hey why should they care, its serves their purpose "Defaming Islam and its people". Thanks to Allah god fearing, islamicly aware muslim sisters will not fall into this obvious anti-Islamic propaganda from enemy of Allah.

Tuujiye   

by DA.

Actually the brother was telling me that msoques are basically men's club

DA are you serious? Ok this is what the brother has said to you.

This is what the brother wrote.

J11 your 100% right about this! and By Allah we muslim should only seek that which benefits us! As Aisha said, when The prophet of Allah(saw) was faced with two situation he would choose the easiest one! In the End sisters, Allah will weigh our deed on the scale, So Why oh why would you want to go to the Masjid to receive less rewards, shouldnt we all strife to Maximize our good deeds? And I agree with the lack of space in the Sister section at the masjid, however think of it as a blessing, Allah only wishes the best for you!

Were do you see him talking about men’s club. I think you see things or understand things negatively after all every topic you are involved you are negative and never positive toward what men say. Get real and get educated.