Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

???? physical?

Sophist   

Life's purity is nothing short of human construction. Nothing in this physical world is beautiful. Our minds seduce us to believing that we are sometimes happy because of the beautiful life we lead. This of course is the epitome of all modified truths. Some of us fell into the mirage, seeing light at the end the of the tunnel but to find later-sometimes years of painful journey- that the mere light they had pursuing was charade thus falling into the gloom and the void they were initially trying to escape from. Bitterness becomes their the castle and hatred of human nature the water they drink. To avoid such malevolence life and requital existence one has to face the reality of our physical world. A modern world filled with pervading neoteric ideas that is contrary to the instituted traditional ideas that are embedded within us all. Love the deadliest word in any given language has been the fall down of many distinguished men and women through out the annals of history. Love, they say is the feast that nourishes our soul. Quite imposing statement!!. But what is love? Many will answer there is not definitive definition for it. You just have to fell in love then you shall know it. This abstract idea had been put in the same cabinet as the supreme-being Allah. In theology we are taught that Allah can never be defined. But it follows that the good news is if you are lucky enough you can feel of Allah. This is quite right, but why elevate a creation of your mind to a Allah like position? Quite puzzling notion!. I am sure as I write this many will either see this a fabrication of what seems to be reality. But I argue, the bliss of life is to be content with your being. The idea that one is completed by his “soul mate” (what a tosh) is nothing short of inferiority complex. Don’t get me wrong, in the presence of a comely lady a red blooded man will be overcome by emotional feeling and if he pursues the lady one becomes imbibed by a world dominated by biochemical agents. Agents that are tiny enough that one can not see with the naked eye. These biological reactions cause some fool men and women to believe that they are in love. Love as word (and the meaning behind it too) has been a force of happiness through out the annals of history and also a cause of heartache and death. The ferocity of Love does not mean that love gives life to thee. Furthermore, classical societies’ conception of love and our understanding of it are quite different. At least the approach is can never be further apart. Modernity has changed many ideological stances.

Modern relationships are the classic example of modernity. The reversing roles of the sexes had been in place for centuries. Without adequate preparation men are told to accept a ‘inferior’ position in the relationship. Women also without the acquired sagacity have found a new confidence, a confidence that had been the cause of 40% percent of divorces in Britain. Somalis follow suit in masses. Families break down with less than 2 years of their inception. This sort of behavior has permeated into our society. Some young men with sparse of western education had thought they found the medicament of this disease. Apparently, these men and women’s marriages fall apart because of lack of love. So they set out of expedition to find their perspectives lovers.

The road they have traveled had proved to be nothing short of precarious. The characters they have met were parroting than real. The adventure ends with the brusque realties of the physical life.

Thus Spake the Old Nomad

Ouch! I guess you don't believe in love!

Originally posted by Sophist:

But what is love? Many will answer there is not definitive definition for it. You just have to fell in love then you shall know it. This abstract idea had been put in the same cabinet as the supreme-being Allah. In theology we are taught that Allah can never be defined. But it follows that the good news is if you are lucky enough you can feel of Allah. This is quite right, but why elevate a creation of your mind to a Allah like position? Quite puzzling notion!.

I can understand how it could be interpreted in such a way, but I disagree with you there. I'm no philosophist or theologist, so the following is just an opinion.

The concept of love may be highly contested and difficult to define, but overall, I think there is something of a consensus regarding its existence. To assume lack of a coherent definition equates the notion of love with our almighty Lord, seems bizarre to say the least (from my point of view). How can it, when love itself is a creation of Allah's, put on this earth for our benefit (help us be grateful to our parents, care for our siblings, choose a mate...basicly get along with those closest to us)? In this case, it can be argued that love is [a form of] emotional attachment. Am I making sense?

I believe there's an Ayat in the Qur'an about this...

Nothing in this physical world is beautiful.

I disagree with this too, but I won't go into it.

Taqwa   

Assalamu Alaikum Wr Wb,

Brother Sophist, I must differ with you on one thing but everything else I stand on the same grounds as you. I agree that love is a figment of imagination that humans' have placed in their hearts to soften there existence on this earth. Today's love is nothing but a mere physical repulsion between the opposite genders. This so-called love is nothing but LUST that leads to Zina, Unwanted pregnancy, aide's, STD, and of course rape.

True Love is the love you have for someone for the sake of Allah. When such love enters the inner heart of an individual then he is emotionally intoxicated for the rest of his existence. This type of love is the love that existed between the Prophet and his Companions. I will remind you of the greatest female Sufi which your probably familiar with.

Rabia al-Adawiyya was an Islamic Sufi that never believed in love between man and women. She loved Allah so much that she died without getting married. She wrote a poem once, which spoke of her love for Allah.

"O Allah

If I Love You out of fear of Hell, burn me in Hell!

If I Love you out of desire for Paradise,

Lock me out of Paradise.

But if I love you for yourself alone,

Do not deny to me your eternal beauty."

This kind of love is one that beats all borders that exist between the seen and the Unseen.

"Nothing in this physical world is beautiful."

Its a fact that everything beautiful in this dunya is the blessing of Allah so for you to say that nothing in this physical world is beautiful would be a contradiction on your behalf. Are you telling me that the sight of seeing the Mecca or Medina would not be beautiful to the eyes of a faithful believer? My request for forgiveness if I missed read your words brother.

Baashi   

Life’s purity is nothing short of human construction. Nothing in this physical world is beautiful. Our minds seduce us to believing that we are sometimes happy because of the beautiful life we lead.

Quite a stretch! It doesn't add up...i guess I am missing something as it is late and am kinda tired!

Let me comment on 'Love'

It downed on me that the word LOVE is one of the most overused words in our modern vocabulary...just see urself: "I love my mom", "I love basketball", "I love horror movies", "I love that...and this", "I love her" These are phrases we hear several times a day.

I don't pretend to know these abstract words but I have a good hunch of what's not a love. Any love that evaporates when which that has caused this 'love' to exist passes is simply not a true, real love. Common sense isn't?

What is love then? I would say love takes many forms and has many meanings. Everyone yearns to capture the joy of love in life. Love is elusive, yet it possesses a mystique that is felt by all. It is a blending of affection, ardor, sympathy, fondness, understanding, concern, adoration, consideration, warmth of feeling, respect, and much more. It is what u make of it...I had this friend and I heard he had started drinking liquor again and I confronted him (ofcourse out of love smile.gif ) and preached him for minutes about its harm and what not and he looked at me squarely in the eyes and said...u know what! I don't do any harm to others, I don't miss my work...I 'LOVE' smile.gif I jus love drinking cuz I feel so good. Now folks, I don't think my friends love for his liquor and my love toward my mom, my love toward my wife, or Janah for that matter are on the same level. Not only they are different in degrees(assuming is measurable) but these feelings are not to be described by same word. This word needs to be reinvented...for real!

Sophist   

Uuh and there I was thinking some might place me in a room full of blasphemous characters- elated that I have survived from such fear. It is tiresomely samey for all of you to pick one issue out of the hastily written piece: then again some of us are concerned with ephemeral like feelings!

My darling Sister Barwaaqo,

The idiocy of the notion of love surfaces when one becomes so much intoxicated with another person, so much so that this person will indeed forsake the family who gave live to him—brought up I mean. It is this fact that daftness of love becomes apparent. I am not denying that vast amount of people believe in LOVE, so as that Jesus was the Son of God (walciyadu Bilah). The number of people doesn’t authenticate its existence—you have 4 hundred Buddist in the world, what does that tell you?. We are feeble creatures who are in need of something more than what we have got physically. Thus, we seek something wraithlike. To give yourself to another being wholly because you have some unexplained feeling is nothing short of ill natured.

About the beauty in the physical world, come on I am sure you can understand where I am coming from. Real beauty (independent from our minds) does not exist in our physical world. The gorgeously sizzling Sloaney people you see in and around Kings Road is nothing but a human construction of beauty.

Taqwa,

Brother (Sister) I am aware of the Sufi sister though I disagree with her. I will get married (if I is written in the book) and have kids because this is in line with the practice of the Prophet.

Bashe

About love, brother you haven’t brought ideas into the realm but you have merely employed words and words themselves mean nothing if the reader does not understand their deeper meanings.

I hope this helps.

Thus Spake the Old Nomad

Sophist

Baashi   

Bashe

About love, brother you haven’t brought ideas into the realm but you have merely employed words and words themselves mean nothing if the reader does not understand their deeper meanings.

Right! I simply employed words, though not as eloquently as u do , to convey my take on what u wrote there. Don't we all do that, use words, to express ourselves? Ideas? It was not my intent to bring forth new idea for it was not a contest of bringing ideas...it was a reply. Logic would dictate that we first employ words to convey what we think of an issue and then the reader would digest it and he/she may or may not understand it...his/her understanding comes after the fact...after the thought is conveyed.

Back to what u wrote there, not only it is a hastily written but it is also full of premises and propositions. In two paragraph, you dashed through purity of life, physical beauty, love, effects of modernity on relationships. The reason I'm looking ur piece with such magnifying glass is that I have a high expectation...I'm forced to grab a dictionary whenever u post a piece...with all that trouble at least give us something with substance.

Sophist   

Salaams Yaa Bashe,

I don’t want this to escalate into muscle flexin because then the whole thing will change it is course, and to be honest with you i am not good at that sort of thing. Yes it was hastily written and the premises you refer dear sire are here to be expanded and scrutinised by my somalionline fellows. Use your magnifying glasses and I hope you see lots erroneous notions tha holds no water. And sorry I am for you to have such a high expectation of me, I never asked anyone to have a high expectation of me (I don't even have a high expectation of myself). Nevertheless, I am sure learning new words only itself can be beneficial and entertaining.

I wonder what Shaqsii thinks of this?

Thus Spake the Old Nomad

Sophist

Unsigned   

Aduunka ninka aan dhiman maxuu towalba arki....

Did I just read a Sophist post without having to refer to a dictionary???

It is amazing what one carefully chosen provocative comment could lead to.

I am fairly new here, but when I get the chance I do glance at one or two constructive topics raised by some of the proactive members of this forum. However, whenever I come across a topic sophist has posted I can't help to refer to the dictionary. It is just so typical of sophist and I admit "learning new words only itself can be beneficial and entertaining." but to an extent. I mean by the time one finishes reading your post one forgets what the topic was about.

So a little advice my brother KEEP IT SIMPLE simplicity is the notion for flexibility.

No offence intended

---------------------

--** Each day is new, and living one day at a time enables us to truly enjoy life and

live it to the fullest.--**

Unique & Matchless

ZOLA   

Faridah..lol....i just had to get that out of my system.....gal, i thought i was the only one who felt the same way about the topics posted by Sophist.... when ever i read some of his topics,it really makes me wanna refer to a dict...and i ask myself....what happened to 11yrs of private and 1 yr of public schooling?...what can i say ..the brother is talented and has a way with words....

just like u Faridah..i read this topic with out refering to a dict lol... i can't give my comments on this topic ..coz i don't really understand the true meaning of love...but it is a word that i use very often.. infact i over use the word..lol.

A.A

Taqwa   

Assalamu Alaikum Walaal,

Sophist, I totally disagree with you on the notion that nothing in the physical world is beautiful. Who are you to make such an assumption? Do you remember when the Sufi Al-Hallaj said, "Ana Al-Haqq which can also be translated as "I am the Truth" ", and for such little words he was killed by the Amir. Walaal, there are certain things you have no say in and that is judging what is beautiful in this dunya and what isn't. If you decide that nothing in this physical dunya is beautiful then you have put forth your own pride. For you to make such remarks is insulting to the men who you consider great Sufi's and to those that have the slightest idea what you have just written.

Let me give you a little list of Sufi's your familliar with that would laugh at this speculation you've just made "Nothing in this physical world is beautiful".

Rabia Al-Adawiya

Abu Said Abu Al-Khayr

Abu Hamid Al-Ghazali

Ibn Arabi

Yunus Emre...etc.

Paragon   

"Nothing in this physical world is beautiful. Our minds seduce us to believing that we are sometimes happy because of the beautiful life we lead."

Quite right there my friend. How true of you to realise that the physicality of this world represents only what i once heard from a religious tale, ("Mataacul quruur") a charade of the truth itself detached from reality. But sir, i cannot begin to contemplate the idea of making a comparison between the Creator and his creation, may it be human or the non-livings!. Love is a creation of Allaah, or if you like, a gift bestowed to humanity. But knowing that only the creator can defy any definition or description: do feelings or emotions qualify to be innovated to such hights as the super-being?

"The idea that one is completed by his “soul mate” (what a tosh) is nothing short of inferiority complex."

If destiny was as demoralising as "inferiority complex", i would have nodded frantically with an approval of your notion, but the believe i have in destinity allows me not to do so. Everyone's believes are different from others, nay, in a sense unique. And I remain hopeful in the sense that, though hasitant, love is existant in every soul with a spritual being. I denouced it (love)before but strangely i do believe in it, one way or another.

Sophist   

Salaams

He was shocked and said, this is dangerous, please don’t air this sort of thing in public other wise you will reap what you will sow. Astonished with his diabolical representation of the subject matter. My response was that; if I have a conviction of what I say being true then I am doing great favour to my fellow brothers and sisters in Humanity- I owe to them. Obviously, my friend’s theological upbringing is different to mine, though we sail on the same waters in many issues. What my friend referring to was my understanding of concept of love of which I said it does not exist independently from our minds.

I retain such notion and I will defend it till I drop with no energy. The more I talk about it with friends whom I have a great respect for their intellect and understanding and engaging the finer things in life; the more I become convinced with my position. Here is the summary of what I meant to say earlier.

1. Love does not exist autonomously from our mind: This means that love is not a creation that is out there living and waiting to inhabit our minds but it is merely a creation of our powerful minds. How is this possible? The inner workings of how our brain’s neurons function is mystery. But the theory goes as follows:

2. When a man courts a female there is the initial reaction. Afterwards if the right reactions takes place then the euphoric feeling that puts the butterflies (never knew what people meant by this) then kick in. The man becomes deliriously in “love” because apparently the void that is within us all have been filled with another being. This obviously continuous with its intensity for a period of time. After a while in a jubilant they decide to either marry (or for those of you who are fashionable and cheek COHABIT). The honeymoon then comes to stoppage. After couple years-depends how many neurons are available- then the marriage or cohabitation becomes a thing of the past. The woman argues uuuh we have been drifting apart, I love you Ali but I am not in love with you. This born out of the fact that she no longer feels those butterflies thus she needs to re-experience that immeasurably superlative emotional state. Then the marriage breaks down the woman and the man then start from anew. This is what happens in majority of the houses in Britain. 40% of marriages break down in the first two years because of the delusional pursue of love.

One might argue that this does not happen to everyone. Look at our mothers and fathers; the large junks of them are together, then how do you apply this theory to such a compelling fact. I say, because it is not love that keeps them together it is what I call values. Becoming intricately part of the person. Identifying with what this person is about. Valuing the personality of this persona. Mutual respect and all the other paraphernalia that comes with the marriage: more importantly most of them did not get married because of love; they did so because they liked the person. This like might have been from physical and then it transformed into respect and adoration. But this is not even true in large part of our families. Most got married due to family reasons. Anyhow, I dislike localising the issue but I thought such illustration was needed. But love is nothing short of travesty.

3. How then one can have a successful curve of relationship?

4. The answer is within us all. We have to abandon the idea that we not perfect and another imperfect being will complete us. The only way this completion can come about is to get rid of you fears of the physical world and prepare of the ethereal world that awaits us all. This does not mean we should all become solitary fellows but indeed engage ourselves in rationalistic way and build our houses on solid foundations. This of course is difficult and it takes lots of energy and stamina, but it is worth it because you will never be in a world of illusion full of glittering stuff that are not diamonds. The heartbreak and marriages breakdowns will be minimal and people in general will have a jolly life.

Faridah Walaal Alaah ha noo sahlo inaan si fudud wax uqorno sidaadoo kale AMIIN!

Taqwa:

Emotional blackmail does do well with me; by now you should have known this brother. I am indeed greatly influenced by Ghazali. He was great man, a man who encouraged thinking and contemplation not a blind following consequently I am following his methods and assuredly he will be elated to have heard my theories in life. I am not a “religious” man but that does not mean I can’t infer issues that might have religious stains.

I maintain that nothing of this physical world is beautiful for the simple reason anything that is temporal is imperfect. The fact it is terrestrial demonstrates its mundane-hood. Beauty represents perfection. Thus, Allah is beautiful and what will come shall be so too.

Jamal:

the problem with the issue of love is that when you are clinically sober and you have all the mechanisms of your mind is functioning then you can see the idiocy behind this mirage but it when you are engulfed the intensity of the euphoria that you lose your sight consequently, shall I take your unusual u-turn due to your fleeting feeling that you are currently enjoying! If that is the case ride it with ferocity my fellow, but be sure that the waves will come down with a terrible after affect--- prepare yourself with a soft landing.

Thus Spake the Old Nomad

Sophist

Blessed   

I think your onto something there. My dad gave me a book on the reality of 'time' which was based on the same philosophy.

Intresting stuff but I didn't get the luxury of analysing it.

I'm wondering ... why did you choose 'love' to explain this theory of consructed 'realities'.

The idea that one is completed by his “soul mate” (what a tosh) is nothing short of inferiority complex

yes, what a tosh lol ... nicely put smile.gif

Sophist   

Ameenah, Love had become the mantra of the modern times, but surprisingly still many fail to conceptualise it, this is why it becomes something malignant in many people’s life. Thus one is duty-bound to shed light issues that affect many people globally- and it is permeating into our somali community in the West. Many youngsters pursue this shoddy happoiness with disastrous results; thus I feel compelled as Somali who had thought about these issues deeply to warn my fellow human beings. The dangers this notion holds, the deep waters it invites its swimmer the poison that it gives for her thirty seekers those who want to quench thier thirst but fataly fall with something profound than a mere thirst.

Anyhow, I really want people to make me proof wrong for this spells away anything that are jolly in our prosaic life---but the alternative is lucid and practicable to adaptation of reality. Anyhow, I my pen is running out of ink.

Thus Spake the Old Nomad

Sophist

Assalaamu Alaikum,

Sophist, I must say, you have given this topic a great deal of thought. I agree, in many respects that the human desire to be in love forever is fleeting. In Islam, it is the religion that keeps people together, for marriage as it is purported is half the religion. Nevertheless, here in the West, what keeps the boat afloat is out of self-interest. If it is in your best interest to stay put you will, otherwise you will simply pack up your bags and try your luck somewhere else. Some may not be bold enough to start all over, but for many, it is the fear of change that keeps them grounded. However, there is no morality or value in such actions, because self-interest still plays; they’d rather be unhappy than loose stability. The way I see it, it all boils down to dividends and returns to scale. In the West, Marriage is no longer sacred, but more so characterized by a business transaction. If you’re not "happy" with the service, you simply terminate the contract.

May Allah, bless the Muslim Ummah.