Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

???? physical?

Sophist   

Mutakalim,

Uuh, such a fresh breeze engulfs us all diffusing the stalemate era SOL had been experiencing of late. Indeed a great ally and companion of grand ideas.

I must dash now; look forward to read your deeper thoughts on matters of great significance.

Sophist

PS: I have another four years to go to reach that "dreaded" age of becoming- 30.

NGONGE   

lol@Q & Viking.

At first we were refugees and the English speaking guys had to find interpreters to help them understand us, then we learned English and now they need "English" speaking interpreters to help them understand us, huh?

But seriously, even though some of the efforts of these brothers would not be approved by the Plain English Campaign, you have to admit that they're doing all of us a great service by introducing us to all these words and phrases.

I'm not going to insult your intelligence by suggesting that sometimes things seem difficult and unclear because the reader is unfamiliar with the topic on hand, saaxib. However, at times, for me personally, that is usually the reason for my lack of understanding. It's easy to blame it on the author rather than admitting that I, NGONGE, Mr know-it-all, could not understand what's going on.

Erm, thus spake I, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Viking: my friend thus I spoke to deaf ears!

NGONGE, I did not come here to learn words and phrases and I am sure the same applies to many other people. You want to learn the language go to school! However, I am here to expand the little I know in terms of exchanging ideas and discussions. This can only be achieved in this kind of environment when the written language is plain.

You are right sometimes you have to read a passage twice or so to get the gist of it, but that is beside the point here. This is because; whatever that is said here could have been stated in a simple way without the need for long words and sentences.

Can anyone tell me what does the following two sentences mean—the second one is not even a sentence in the sense of the word? Could not the writer just have said what he wanted in a simple way rather putting fake images into our head?

“Uuh, such a fresh breeze engulfs us all diffusing the stalemate era SOL had been experiencing of late. Indeed a great ally and companion of grand ideas.”

If I had written the above sentences, I would have said something along the lines ‘is good to see a fresh face like you here, to liven up this place as it has been boring lately. What is more, you are someone who shares the same ideas as mine’.

Never use a long word where a short one will do. I have learned this simple rule from George Orwell. This simple rule is my guide whenever I write something, and I have got far in life with it so far! When I see people, using long words and writing grand sentences, there can only be two reasons for it. First, they are being economical with the truth to say the least. Secondly, they are trying to empress you with their intellect rather than just defending their position! The following is an excerpt from a George Orwell essay entitled, POLITICS AND THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

“Consider for instance some comfortable English professor defending Russian totalitarianism. He cannot say outright, ‘I believe in killing off your opponents when you can get good results by doing so’. Probably, therefore, he will say something like this:

‘While freely conceding that the Soviet regime exhibits certain features which the humanitarian may be inclined to deplore, we must, I think, agree that a certain curtailment of the right to political opposition is an unavoidable concomitant of transitional periods, and that the rigors which the Russian people have been called upon to undergo have been amply justified in the sphere of concrete achievement.’

The inflated style itself is a kind of euphemism. A mass of Latin words falls upon the facts like soft snow, blurring the outline and covering up all the details. The great enemy of clear language is insincerity.”

I hope with the above I made my position clear.

Sophist   

The above chap,

One writes as one feels confortable. As I have many times penned down, I write the way I do not to amuse myself ( I can assure you that would have been great pleasure) but this is how I do write. The subject matter is not one that can be written in the "plain" English you speak of. Anyhow, what makes my language archiac and your run of the mill easy to comprehend? have we become decidedly majoritrian?

The msg is, write as you are pleased and let those who write refined manner theirs.

THus Spake I indeed!

Why does every post Sophist starts descend into him having to defend his right to write as he wishes? The man isn't changing for any of us any more than we will for him. To each his own. Get used to it and if not get over it.

Variety is the spice of life.

NGONGE   

NGONGE, I did not come here to learn words and phrases and I am sure the same applies to many other people. You want to learn the language go to school! However, I am here to expand the little I know in terms of exchanging ideas and discussions. This can only be achieved in this kind of environment when the written language is plain.

Now you’re just being argumentative for argument’s sake, saaxib. You say you come here to “expand the little I know in terms of exchanging ideas and discussions”. How does that not cover words and phrases? Surely it’s all one big package!

Like I already said, at times, some of these brothers over do it with their lyrical posturing but that does not mean they don’t have any valid ideas to present. If you’re interested in ideas, you’ll be able to look right through the words and focus on those ideas (they’re there for all to see). I’m not sure if you’ve thought this through but right now, your protest reminds me of the Chinese proverb about the man who when someone pointed the Moon out to him, looked at the pointing finger instead. :rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me what does the following two sentences mean—the second one is not even a sentence in the sense of the word? Could not the writer just have said what he wanted in a simple way rather putting fake images into our head?

“Uuh, such a fresh breeze engulfs us all diffusing the stalemate era SOL had been experiencing of late. Indeed a great ally and companion of grand ideas.”

If I had written the above sentences, I would have said something along the lines ‘is good to see a fresh face like you here, to liven up this place as it has been boring lately. What is more, you are someone who shares the same ideas as mine’.

Of all the examples you could have chosen, you picked this one?

Heh. Not a fan of poetry I see! Your “translation” of the quoted phrase is a very practical and business-like one. While, from reading the original words, the author (I suspect) is being a little mischievous and the images his words conjure up show what a great tribute he’s paying that person. A fresh face livening things up is not in the same league as a fresh breeze engulfing us all, wouldn’t you say? :D

Anyway, as I said in a previous thread, this is not a competition and we’re really (really) not trying to find out who’s the biggest show-off on this site, I more than adequately fulfil that role, thank you very much. icon_razz.gif

PS

The George Orwell essay is a tad confusing! Are you sure you’re comparing like with like here? :confused:

For further reading on this subject, see the link below (you’ll love this one).

Much Ado About Waxba

NGONGE, if I seem argumentative I apologise, for this is not my intension and this comes about from a bad habit that I have picked ages ago. I am not just talking about myself here when I say; I come here for ideas and so on. I can understand what is said even if I have to read it several times and always look past the words (as you say they are only words on the screen). I am rather thinking of the young of our community who come here and read our thoughts. What would they make of them when they are put in such a grand ways? I believe they will be put off and think of us as posh and show offs.

The message I am trying to advance here is, we should not put them (the young) off but rather engage them in our discussions and the best way to do this is through plain English. I hope that is not much to ask.

Sophist is right in saying, one should write, as one feels comfortable. However, one should do this in they private writings and not when you are forwarding new ideas. I am in the business of experimental science and whenever we write a paper, it has to be written in a clear and concise way—so that the readers can understand what you are trying to convey. Of course, it will contain a lot of technical jargon and this is to be expected and but minimised to the minimum.

I do not know why I picked the example I picked (consciously that is). Thinking of it now maybe my ego picked it and I cannot be blamed for that! I am sorry to say I am not a big fan of poetry and this is because due to my lack of culture. More importantly, I believe poets do not know what they are saying/writing half the time! The following is an excerpt from Apology by Plato (Socrates' Defense) and hope it illustrates what I meant above!

“When I left the politicians, I went to the poets; tragic, dithyrambic, and all sorts. And there, I said to myself, you will be detected; now you will find out that you are more ignorant than they are. Accordingly, I took them some of the most elaborate passages in their own writings, and asked what was the meaning of them - thinking that they would teach me something. Will you believe me? I am almost ashamed to speak of this, but still I must say that there is hardly a person present who would not have talked better about their poetry than they did themselves. That showed me in an instant that not by wisdom do poets write poetry, but by a sort of genius and inspiration; they are like diviners or soothsayers who also say many fine things, but do not understand the meaning of them. And the poets appeared to me to be much in the same case; and I further observed that upon the strength of their poetry they believed themselves to be the wisest of men in other things in which they were not wise.”

I hope to be more cultured one day and enjoy finer things in life, until then fellow friends bear with my ignorance. This is the last time I should touch upon the subject of someone else’s writing and hope I made my motives clear with this post.

By the way I picked George Orwell because, even him who mastered the English language always aimed (even if he did not achieve) but still aimed for the simplest way he could have written any idea down!

Baashi   

I for one have no issues with Sophist’s posts...let me say that right of the bat. He is a talented nomad and most of his posts are interesting, informative and at times unnecessarily challenging to the “less read” fellas whose English is a second language - the qaxootis like me that is. In some of his posts, he tends to ornate and diffuse! It is not surprising at all, if some of the nomads notice the archaic diction he uses. After all Sophist does use archaic diction in a pompous way :D

I guess Samurai Warrior made an interesting point when he observed the fact that there is a subtle difference of the way American and British folk write and that reflects in the way Somalis in the NA and UK write. I don’t know about UK but here in the US, instructors go in a great length to impress upon their students the need for clear, simple, and short composition in their writing communication.

I have to agree though every nomad has a right to write the way she/he pleases and feels comfortable. However, in a cyber forum like this one, posters will definitely get some feedback - and that is a good thing. My feedback: simplicity and clarity is the way to go :cool:

Sophist plz keep it coming I do enjoy your posts.

Viking   

I have read Sophiests posts' for the past 3-4 years and no one is denying that he is a well read bro. But I have always critisized his antiquated lingo because 99% of the visitors of these boards don't understand what he is trying to convey.

One should indeed write as they please, but Sophiest seems to be making an extra effort NOT to be understood. And that makes life difficult for people like me who haven't gone to Oxford or/and have English as a third language. So sxb, please naga qalee oo inoo jilci af ingiriisiga noh.

What about when some members respond purely in Swahili or Arabic and the unknowing only have to guess in frustration? It would make more sense to put a limit to this(out of consideration to the majority) rather than worry about one man's posts. He isn't a guru with an earth-shattering message. Or is he?

All responses in Nepalese, please. smile.gif

Sophist   

Amakaag iyo fajac ayaa waxa igu reebey kelmadahan kasoo hankakamaya qaar kobtan wax kuqora.

Waxaad moodaa, in qaasatan walaalkey Viking uu moodsiinayo dadka qaarkii in Sophist uu iskudayeyo inuu kuqoro luqad aanay dadku fahmin. Runtii, shaqsi ahaan ma aan garanayo meesha uu kakeeno inaan "isku deyayo" in aan la ifahmin? Malaha waxaa fiicnaan laheyd, hadii uu wanaag ujeedo inuu kugaabsado Walaalkeen Sophist hajilciyo erayada uu isticmaalayo; laakiin waxaad moodaa in baroortu orgiga kaweyn tahay. Si kastaba arintu ha ahaatee, anigu si aan aheyn qaabka aan uqoro luqadaas qalaad ma aan awoodo inaan uqoro marka aan kahadleyno maadooyinka aan kahadlo. Waxaa laga yaabaa, marka aan udirayo dhanbaal qof aan saaxiibnahay, inaan isticmaalo "uqad dhambaaleed".

Alaah hanoo sahlo.

Nabad iyo Caano

Viking   

PS: I have another four years to go to reach that "dreaded" age of becoming- 30.

Kuishi kwingi ni kuona mengi.

Waswahili husema; Maskini akipata, matako hulia mbwata. Ndugu yetu huyu sofisti anatutushia na masomo yake ya oksfodi kwa kutumia maneno za kale. Hajui kuwa mwenyezi Mungu hapendi mtu mwenye maringo. Akiambiwa naye, anajitia chumvi na kubadilisha lugha.

Stolthet har ingen plats i en Muslim's hjarta!

Luqmaan 31:18