Sign in to follow this  
Yaabka-Yaabkiis

Which Books Do you read ..........

Ibtisam   

As for self-help books! It has to be the 48 Laws of Power; this book has transformed my life. I would highly recommend.

Why did you not say so...It explains so much. Now I understand...

I would not recommend anyone to that book. :cool:

Pujah, I feel the same about self help books, I might look your one up though. I'm reading Civility, Security and Islamism. It is very interesting to say the least. :cool:

Miriam1   

Oh man MMA, I haven't read Sidney Sheldon in like over 10 years! I was just on wikipedia checking out his latest book and saw that he DIED! Early in 2007 :(

These are the books of his I read, (hehe, as a kid I always thought he was a woman until I got a book with a picture on it!)

The Other Side of Midnight (1973

Windmills of the Gods (VERY GOOD)(1987)

The Sands of Time (1988)

Memories of Midnight (1990)

The Doomsday Conspiracy (SUPER! Aliens) (1991)

Also recenlty read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" an amazing book.

Skipper   

Aqiiyar sidney sheldon passed away last year, and i cant say ilaahi haunaxaristo since he is gaal. But he has written some classic books. But the problem with sidney sheldon is he allways make women seem more powerfull/inteligent than men, hIS main character is so good at what they do that they seem unreal. I read anything written by Ken follet(there is no word in the oxford dictionary that can describe how awesome this guy is so i will just let it be), Arthur hailey agian passed away and is one of my all time favourites. And last but not least the one and the only john grisham.

Kool_Kat   

The last book I read is The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah...Not my cup of tea, but enjoyed reading it...It was something different...

I've read most of John Sandford's Prey Series...Gosh, just can't get enough of his books...Sidney Sheldon is pretty good, so is John Grisham, and James Patterson, and Nora Roberts...Ok let me stop here...Those are a few of my favs...

At some point, I enjoyed reading books by Eric Jerome Dickey... :D

The Other Side of Midnight (1973

Windmills of the Gods (VERY GOOD)(1987)

The Sands of Time (1988)

Memories of Midnight (1990)

The Doomsday Conspiracy (SUPER! Aliens) (1991)

You are missing the most interesting ones.

You should read If Tomorrow Comes, Rage of Angels, Master of the Game and Nothing Lasts Forever. Those four are among his best, and especially if you think Doomsday Conspiracy was superbly written, you will find those listed above much more fun to read.

I've read all his books in late '90s to 2001 save his last one. The man is just brilliant, a writer bestowed with an astonishing amount of talent. I don't think I will see anyone who can write the way he wrote. I don't read fiction usually, but his books forced me to. One just can't put them down.

I can't believe you read his books as a kid, though. I too was a teenager, and those days reading his novels, some scenes just used to shock me. I just used to turn over the shocking pages and paragraphs then. :D

Skipper, Sidney himself said that that his books will almost always have a heroine. He was a small-f feminist. It wasn't a problem for me, though, seeing all of his main characters always being a female; what just fascinated was his absolute talent of writing that completely captures all of your attention, not to mention being humourous, suspense, thriller...

Miriam1   

LOOL MMA, walahi I read them as a 12 yr old, what else could I have done when everyone decided I was already too old to play outside and a long summer ahead of me at home..you cracked me, I turned the pages too, when things were well getting a bit too steamy!

when I told my cousins that I read them they just wouldnt believe me. memories man

NGONGE   

Originally posted by cynical lady:

Must you be the grumpy old man…

I was being helpful, woman. :mad:

At any rate, that's a better thread than this one. Hardly any 'self' help books and microwave novels in there. icon_razz.gif

Pujah   

I picked up "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss at a airport cuz of a long delay and couldn't put it down until the last page. Very interesting read.

Miriam1   

NGONGE, these books can be considered good "subway reads" we all need a break from intellectual drivel sometimes.

NGONGE   

^^ Dee kabax walaal. I'm teasing that cynical lady.

I've read my fair share of 'holiday' books. Have no problem with them.

(hopes CL has gone to bed).