Sign in to follow this  
Yaabka-Yaabkiis

Which Books Do you read ..........

NGONGE   

^^ Abdi Sheik-Abdi waa nin Somali (as MMA would probably say) African ha ku sheegin. :D

You recommended a whole centre (and a closed one at that) not a book or author! Thanks anyway, very helpful really. icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Malika:

Faarax,the last book I read of an African writer was this book called "When A Hyena Laughs" by Abdi Sheik-Abdi.An interesting insight into a Somali domadic lifestyle,the tradition and the battle between the young and the old.

Do you think the best African Literature was writen during colonialism,as Things Fallen Apart by Ngugi wa Thiongo..?

Ngonge,its a shame the African Book Centre in Regent Park has been closed,I would have recommended you go there..

I have never heard off or read about Abdi Sh.Abdi,L0L. & No,I have never read that book either,where can i find it? Amazon?

I dont know about the best books being written during colonism,but the best writers were of that period. However,there is a new breed of young writers coming in. That Chamanganda girl is quite interesting...among others.

Ps.Just for credential & accredition purposes,Things fall apart was written by Chinua Acheba & not Ngugi. smile.gif

Nephissa   

Lately I've been reading health & fitness, fashion, home repair, gardening, and cooking books [yeah I know.. :D ]. A girlfriend of mine is reading "101 Lies Men tell Women and Why Women Believe Them." [To all the brothers who are reading this, of course we know women lie too, so don't take offense on its title ;) ]. I'm hoping that I'm next in line to borrow the book.

The Kite Runner sounds great, I might pick it up sometime the coming weeks.

Cara.   

Nephthys, are you well on the way to becoming a Stepford wife? *shudders*

Ngonge, I read The Trial and really liked it, so I bought a collection of short stories. He's not boring, precisely. A Hundred Years of Stifled Yawns, now that is boring. Kafka fills you up with hopelessness about the human condition, which is OK sometimes but can make it difficult to digest dinner :D

Malika   

Touche' Ngonge..I was posting that while in training,got bored with the presentation and posted a half post..Lol

The books I read by African authors might not be at your taste,then I was a geeky teenager filled with revolutionary thoughts hence most of the books I read were about change,oppression and socipolitical issues...

Here;

Long walk to freedom,Devil on the cross, Petals of Blood,and A grain of wheat by Ngugi wa thiogo.

Things fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

Mine Boy by Peter Abraham

The beautiful ones are not yet born by Ayi Kwei Armah

And The Concubine,and The great ponds by Elechi Amadi

My first book by a Somali author was From a Crooked Rib and Gifts by Nurudiin Farah.

FB, I have been out of touch with the new breed of African writers,am sure they are as good as these of the past.

Cara.   

Malika, I just found out from someone that there's an Africana library just down the block from my apartment (I got a disapproving look from the Jamaican who was telling me, I think I lost some authenticity street cred).

I will check out some of your suggestions. I've only read Crooked Rib and Things Fall Apart.

Blessed   

I've been reading a lot of war related books recently:

Half a Yellow Sun,

Left to Tell

Enemy Combatant,

Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Malika,

The African Book Store which was part of the African centre now does Mail Order .... here .

-Lily-   

Blessed, I have Half of the Yellow Sun, still to finish it. I used to get through a book and a half a week, now it takes me a month to get through one book :( , just can't concentrate, thanks to my job which involves a lot of reading.

I didn't read The Kite Runner, it annoys me when books get too bestseller/mainstream, call me a snob icon_razz.gif

...but A Thousand Splendid Suns was really good, I found the domestic violence & conspiracy against women deeply disturbing though.

I'm somehow avoiding the novels and the fiction books and i want to concentrate those books that i can benefit from them on the real issues/subjects.

Blessed   

^You can also benefit from fiction.

Lily,

I know what you mean, I've been thinking about that alot lately - it's a big thing in the UAE at the moment.

Anyway, the second is similar it deals with tribalism, servitude and relationships.. again. I didn't watch the film. Both books depressed me but I couldn't put them down.

Just got; in In Search of Fatima: A Palestinian Story..

Chimera   

I've read alot but not the 'storytelling' type of books, i think if i picked up that kind of a book right now i would have trouble finishing it since i've developed a habit of going straight to the parts that contains what i'm looking for, and anything more would just simply feel irrelevant

NGONGE   

Ah! This reminds me. I have a full box of books to send to JB. How do I do it again? The Mrs is threatening to throw them all away already. :D