Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Memories from Home!!!

Malika   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

^she might be referring to your inference that YOU would look and not that women would look and pretend not to.
smile.gif

Malika, what are you saying? Would you look?

^Correct!, I meant,he was at least honest that he would not only look but stare[che's own words] :D

I wouldn't look directly but if am honest perhaps steal a glance redface.gif:D [its natural to be curious] icon_razz.gif

Cara.   

^Now I finally understand this:

h2_1979.206.31.jpg

Headrests are used by both Somali men and women while resting or sleeping. It is popularly believed that the headrest serves a protective function by elevating the head off the ground during sleep, thereby preventing any possible attack by snakes or scorpions. Men's headrests, such as this one, generally feature a smaller base that makes them somewhat unstable to sleep on, while the rectangular bases of women's headrests are usually more stable. Scholars suggest that this instability is purposeful as it prevents the user from falling into a deep sleep while guarding the herds at night. It is in this sense that the headrest itself has become a symbol of vigilance among Somali nomads. In this example, the surface decorations of both supports are identical and feature interlaced rope motifs on the top and bottom interrupted by a honeycomb-like relief in the middle. The patterns on this and many other Somali headrests probably reflect the Islamic influence in the region. Some scholars interpret the patterns and iconography as a "form of shorthand for a prayer," to ensure God's protection of the sleeper. Headrests also play an important role in the nuptial ceremonies of Somali nomads. On his wedding night, the groom places the tubash (a sum of money) under the bride's headrest. The morning after the marriage is consummated, the bride will use this money to purchase an amber necklace, the symbol of her new status.

The headrests are carved from a single piece of fine-grained wood known as hagar in Somali, or also yucub wood. The wood is usually left its natural color, but is sometimes painted red or black by its owner. Somali nomads also make use of another type of headrest with a single cylindrical supporting column. It appears that the different styles are for men of different status, with the single-columned variety for young men and the double-columned variety, as seen here, reserved for elders.

At the Met!

Originally posted by Gheelle.T:

MMA, where in Xamar is that? Any hotel by the sea with a pool that i can think of is Al-Aruba, and this pic doesn't look like Aruba. Besides, on URL link it says Olympia hotel mmm where is that in xamar igaarow? there was hotel Olympics of sendiko and that is no way close to the beach. Ariirow binikolahan naga soo cadeey bo

Taasba waxaa isweydiinaaye waaye. I think who posted that sawir misidentified the hotel, since it wasn't certainly Hoteel Olombik. Laakiin meesha waa Xamar, waxyaabaha kale ka arkee.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

quote:

Originally posted by Adam-Zayla:

ca6tuhlukj7.jpg

MMA,Paragon,'me' and others that used to live in Somalia - what is what in this picture? Mogadishu used to really look like a city from the future with those unique structures and stuff
:(

I am not sure this picture is Xamar of the pre-civil war. Though I can see the famous geed talaalo are there, so is what looks like the well-known National Theatre. Nonetheless, other buildings uma eko kuwa Xamar ku yaalay, and the black and white of the image doesn't help either.

Where did you get the image from? And did that site provide any other information?

It is Mogadishu brother and it is from a book called Who cares about Somalia by Hassan (something?)

ps nice pic(Hotel) smile.gif

Originally posted by Adam-Zayla:

ca6tuhlukj7.jpg

MMA,Paragon,'me' and others that used to live in Somalia - what is what in this picture? Mogadishu used to really look like a city from the future with those unique structures and stuff
:(

Daa'uud, that image after all is in Xamar. I was watching

aerial video the other day and realized the same buildings laga arkaa.

Fast forward to 3:47. You will see the buildings in this image in that video. The video is from post-civil war. The same buildings reappear in the video in a minute later, at 4:50.

About where they are located in. Judging from the surrounding area, it is probably in C/casiis or Boondheere, though what looks like the national theatre at the background, I am not sure if it was located in those districts.

I still can't believe I had never come across those buildings before. They are beautifully designed. I had passed some times tiyaatarka anigoo waalidkey la socdo, but never seen those buildings again.

nuune   

MMA, thanks for the video, it is filim muruga badan wallaahi, and that was only 1993, ka warran hada, most of the buildings in that video were in tact, though u could see how quickly juba, shabele and uruba were destroyed, mainly they served as dhufeesyo and meelihii la rujistey oo sida xun loo bililiqeestay ay ahaayeen.

Adaa mudan, duqa.

I still can't believe Xamar oo saas u eg inay wali somehow iska qurxoontahay kor laga arkaayo. And I never thought Xamar inay saas u geedo badnayd waagaa ku koraaye, inkastoo geedaha faafeen dagaaladaas. Still so greeny oo qurux ah u egtahay, albeit all its destructions. Geed talaal Xamar wuu qurxiye.

Meelahaas hadda lama fiirin karo, wey kasii dartay, siiba baarlamaankii hore oo dhulka lala simay. I especially liked how strategic it was located in the middle of sadex jid meel u kala baxayaan, plus Daljirka Dahsoona ka gees saarnaa and its national park. Jidad ayaa ku wada wareegsan ku dhacaayo baarlamaanka. Feeri nays.

Chimera   

Thanks for the video MMA. I wonder why nobody in Peace-time Somalia bothered going to the old Museum and take pictures of the large collection there? I have this old book that catalogued the museum and some impressive stuff was in there, it's too bad i was born so late.