Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Your Earliest Childhood Memories???

NGONGE   

^^ Circumcision! I think every man remembers that dark day. In my case, I remember it twice. The first time, I was three and a half. I ran away to a neighbour's house and my younger newborn baby brother got the chop on his own. The second time, I was five and could not get away; my other brother got the chop with me. But the first brother (who preceded us by experience and not age) kicked the door down and bit the doctor's arm (that one always got my back). :D

You're just trying to get me to tell stories today, Sayid.

I have a memory from when I was under the age of four. I pushed a tyre from the top floor (no idea if it was first, second or third) down into the road and it hit a passerby (I had to run to the neighbour’s again before I got into trouble).

I remember my first day at Quran class. The Pakistani teacher was wearing a macawis and was not wearing anything under it. I could see his bits every time he adjusted his seating. I am now the most careful man when wearing a macawis.

The clearest memory I have though is one about my first week at school (when I was five). One day, I was at home watching TV and I saw an actor (I think it was Kojak) winking. I thought winking was the best thing ever and spent the whole day practising my winking technique. I also spent most of the following day doing the same. In class that day, we had a skinny and very spoilt Arab female teacher (she must have been in her twenties). I winked at her. She slapped me. I did not think I have done anything wrong by winking (I still bloody don’t). So, I picked up the nearest thing to me and threw it at her. She was shocked and tried to slap me again. I picked up my chair and threw it at her. I threw everything at her. She cried and ran out of class. She returned later with the head master and the school social worker. I was outnumbered. I ran out of class and ran all the way home. My old man was called and he gave me a good beating for running away from school (not for throwing things at the teacher).

The following year, in the Islamic Education class, another female teacher had given us the homework of memorising Surat Al Shams off by heart. I had actually memorised the sura ages before (I was a child geek). But on the day, I stumbled a little (with a whole class watching me recite it) and mumbled it quietly. She didn’t like it and decided that I did not memorise it. I argued with her and told her that I did and if she would give me a minute to compose myself I would show her that I did. She slapped me!

Back then; the school bag of choice was a Samsonite (yes, even for six-bloody-year-olds – I got mine a year after that). The kid sitting to my left had one of those bags and it was full of his books. After whimpering to myself for a few seconds and wiping my burning cheek, I picked up the bag and threw it at the receding back of the teacher as she walked back to her desk. It hit her right in the middle of the back. She cried out in agony and then just cried. I stood there with an angry face and trembling heart. I knew I was in trouble.

The head mistress and the social worker came to the class and took me away. They tried to soothe me and act like my friends but they were women teachers and my experience has already told me that women teachers SLAP. I never let my guard down for one second (even though, I did insist on demonstrating my ability to recite the sura off by heart, which I did). When my dad came, they talked to him about taking me to a child psychologist and told him that I was an angry little child. To this day, I still insist that I was not in the wrong. I WASN’T!

Of course, I eventually stopped fighting teachers when the Palestinian fat maths teacher dared to slap me and I jumped on him and bit his arm. The animal punched me in the back with all the power he could muster. I let go of his arm and let go of my habit of fighting teachers. I only restricted myself to giving them evil looks and hoping in my heart of hearts that this would unnerve them.

I now tell my children never to wink at teachers (especially women teachers, but they don’t understand).

Juxa   

i dont know the man well enough, but the boy was surely GEESI, geesi dhalay(albeit tad violent) bless

NG,so all you remember realy is getting slapped silly by female teachers?

My earliest one is when I was 5. I vividly remember sitting under the tree in front of our gate, wearing a very short dress that doesnt cover my thighs when I sit. I refused to play with the other kids because I didnt want to mess up my dress!

Cara.   

LOL@ Ngonge winking at the teacher. I've seen children trying to wink and I'm sure the teacher slapped you because she thought you had a facial tick or were suffering a seizure and was hoping to snap you out of it.

My earliest memory is sitting under geed qurac ah, begging mum for a few more minutes of rest and pretending my shoe strap broke to buy some time when hooyo said no. We were traveling by foot and I was having trouble keeping up with the adults. I'm not sure how old I was, but probably under 4.

my mother used to deny I had very early memories and it annoys me to this day. If an incident had sufficient emotional impact you will remember it. Also if you move, the change, helps you pinpoint your age at the time. I remember being in my baby walker. I'm not surprised, my mum later told me I once whizzed so fast in the thing I smashed into a wall and the thing fell apart. How old is that, eight, nine months. I dont remember the incident I just remember chilling out in the thing lol.

I have vivid memories of childhood, more so than crap that happened last month. I have one that was denied by my mother which makes me now think theres a story there been hidden from me. It was an exquisitely happy moment. I was younger than two. From two onwards everything is detailed.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Juxa:

ps: when asking for favours, be polite, riding camels age 2 is plausable

Ma'ila aragtaybo...Before reading your post, I thought to myself 'oo yuu is moodayna? :rolleyes: '... :D

I will not bother to post what I remember markaan yaraa, as many of you will not believe me...But I'll say this, just to give an idea of how furbo I was, I started grade 1 at the age of three and half (yes grade 1), and my childhood nickname was Habar Gaalo... :cool:

Kamaavi   

Waxaan hadda soo xasuustay qudha goortii adeero Cabdulahi Yare uu qabtay Adisababa isagoo taageero ka doonaya Mingisto siduu ula dagaalami lahaa qarankii Somaliyeed. Alla odaygu indho adkaynaa oo geesisanaynaa.... :D:D

I dont remember jack zhit. I cant even remember last year what i said right here on sol.

Having said that: My nanny(yes,i had a nanny :D ),believes i am crazy when i told her about how the dariska dude,was all up in her grillz :D

^Qarxiskee? She is agreeing with me that i dont remember shzit. lol.

Btw,early childhood memories baa layiri. i mean, Sayid was specific here. 4yrs buu yidhi. anu waxan soo qoray,was probably in my mid mid child hood memories :D

Baluug   

Originally posted by Kool_Kat:

and my childhood nickname was Habar Gaalo... :cool:

:D

Ngonge, I cringed when I first heard that Somali boys didn't get circumcised until they were between the ages of 4-7, geez that's too long to wait! I got snipped when I was like 2 weeks old so I don't remember a thing :cool: