Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

'Sister Wives': TLC's Polygamist Family Asks Us To 'Rethink Marriage'

Kody Brown married his first wife, Meri, 20 years ago. Three years later he married Janelle, and a year after that he married Christine.

"I just fell in love. Then I fell in love again, and I fell in love again," he says in the opening episode of 'Sister Wives,' TLC's latest reality series about an excessively large family. This one is set in Utah with a polygamist twist.

The Browns and their 12 children are Fundamentalist Mormons, and their faith, as Kody says, likes to "reward good behavior." Why stop with one good marriage when you could have four? (Kody is courting a fourth wife, whose assimilation into the tight-knit circle of sister wives provides the only conflict in a family that keeps reminding us how happy they are.)

"I never wanted to just be married to a man," says Christine, who is pregnant with Kody's 13th child. She's glad to be his third wife because she never wanted to be alone with a husband and the third wife balances out the tension between the first two.

"I always wanted sister wives," she says. "There's too many things I wanted to do, to be free for."

Huff

Wow...now thats a beautiful happy world. lol 4

some all de way. its my dream.

" I have dream that one

I will be living in town

called Qarado with my

beautiful 4 wives

And we will all be living

happily after....lol

Off-course Hawdgirl will never

be one of them! shes uuf..

SISTER-WIVES-2.jpg

Haathaa min cazmil umuur

waaba damcay inaan Utah u guuro, waxaa laygu wargeliyey haddaadan mormon ahayn, gabdhahaan cad-cad islama guursankartid

So if you proclaim that you are polygmist but legally wed only one women and call the rest girlfriends the law against polygmy does not apply to you.

In the eyes of the law if you have one wife and three happy girlfriends, you are free to practice polygmy. Sharia law is much better then this law for sure.

Cara.   

Che did you ever watch Big Love on HBO? Hilarious show, help me form some theories about optimal polygamous conditions for the discerning modern woman.

^LooooL you and your theories, no I haven't seen the show.

Check this out though

It's a real-life "Big Love." Winston Blackmore is the family patriarch and leader of a fundamentalist Mormon polygamist community in Bountiful, British Columbia, that includes his
20-some wives and more than 100 children
. Winston, like all who practice "the principle," believes that plural marriage and siring dozens of children will help guarantee his entrance into the highest of Heavens.

bigger love

Talking about spreading your seed though many will screwed up in life.

You gotta envy him! They're damn gorgeous, too. Well, every qawm to their own caado.

I wouldn't mind four lovely Xalimos living under the same roof. But then, again, they'd be a hell, unless you get the right 4 xaliimos, which would be quite a task.

From an evolutionary standpoint, it would seem that polygamy (more specifically polygyny) is the optimum mating strategy for many primate species, especially humans. Males can maximize their reproductive success by copulating with as many females as possible. Given our species' sexual dimorphism and asymmetry in parental investment (reproduction is very expensive for the female whereas for the male it is exceedingly cheap), it's surprising that polygyny is not more ubiqutious.

What's more surprising is that, barring infertility, most males are able to mate and reproduce. If females were more discerning, they would only select males who have "good genes", even if a great many of them had to mate with a few males. Isn't it more wise to be the second wife of a smart, rich, good-looking guy than the first wife of a none-too-bright, poor, unattractive man?

Cara, there are alternative mating strategies for females who don't have ethical hang-ups. Women are attracted to men with intelligence, good looks, and money. Unfortunately, there are always trade-offs. Good looks, no money. Rich, but unattractive. You see, some females just don't accept these trade-offs. Like certain species of birds, some women marry the man with the beautiful nest (i.e. money) and secretly mate with the male with the better genes. As Voltaire's Candide would have it: it's the best of all possible worlds -- for the female, that is.