Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Free Speech on SOL ??

N.O.R.F   

^^Obviously underdog :D

I dont think she would doing anything wrong in bringing light to the issue. Target? Opera/Tyra watchers?

Gediid   

Originally posted by Northerner:

^^so what is she doing wrong in bringing light to the issue?

edit: page 11 :cool:

By shagging everything in sight and hopes she feels a thing or 2.... :D

Ibtisam   

^^^^Now you are just being judgemental!

That series is not in the UK for another two seasons so I cannot comment, but from experience of hearing other “victims” they seem to over generalise and relate to everything from the way they walk to the inability run on GFM. You can highlight the issue without exaggerating or tainting the whole culture as evil, controlling and epidemic. Although there are sever cases, by large Somali practice is not as endemic or as sever as other countries that are used as comparison.

ZOLA   

i guess she is thinking far ahead, incase she wins the title of America's Next top model..then she will become the next Waris Dirie.

Right now what she needs to do is concentrate on the competition..it was funny how eey u haroowsatay the other girls.

underdog   

Northerner,

I have no problem with issues being brought to light. What I do have a problem with is WHO brings these issues to light and how.

I'm not going to speak for the rest of the world, but I (personally) have no desire to listen to any Moral or social issue presented by anyone who chooses to excel in life solely on how they look or how they walk (Model). If she/he is a model, an actor or a singer, she/he has no authority to stand at a podium and start pointing fingers when they're part of the problem....(Yup, F#$% Bono too!)

I prefer to get my enlightenment from the scientists, the economists and others who have dedicated themselves to their causes.

But thats just me...

Gediid   

Originally posted by Ibtisam:

^^^^Now you are just being judgemental!

People say the weirdest things infront of a camera and FGM is certainly one of those things any Somali female seeking camera time will say.I doubt if half of them have the mental capacity to even realize what that entails but its just the activist/crusader tag they are all for.

underdog   

Originally posted by chubacka:

An how much do you expect the scientists an economists to tell you about FGM?
:D

More than a fashion model could.

Kinda the same way I'd be more inclined to dismiss views on problems facing the Somali people presented by someone who can't even speak the language. :D

Haven't you guys noticed how every girl has a major issue that she constantly weeps over on America's Next Top Model? It's the format of the show. This girl probably decided FGM was as good a crying placard as any (certainly better than 'I used to be fat' or 'I'm a single mum of two'). Blah.

About the right to privacy debate, I think some of you have got the wrong end of the stick. Just because you found out somebody's name via Facebook or another website does not mean you should use it on this open forum. If members wanted to be referred to by their real names, they would use their names as usernames. A lot of you already know each other in real life or at least have become online friends over the years - do you refer to each other by your real names? Of course not. Why? Because it's neither ethical nor relevant.

Now, I don't believe Underdog did it intentionally and I'm sure he would have edited his post if he could. So the fact that Marcas's name was left in the thread for ages is the fault of the Mods (yes, I'm talking to you FF). It should have been edited out immediately.

I also think Ibtisam took it to a very personal level. Clearly she knows who Marcas is and she is using that knowledge against him. As he may not know her identity (I'm assuming here that he doesn't), this gives her an unfair advantage over him. Frankly, I don't think such conduct is right.

Finally, I hope we can all learn something from this. Attack the ideas and not the people.

chubacka   

it all depends Underdog if these economists have had it done or not otherwise how much can they really tell you?

but i would be suspicious about some wanna be model going on and on about FGM an seeking attention.

"Kinda the same way I'd be more inclined to dismiss views on problems facing the Somali people presented by someone who can't even speak the language"

An stop itching for a fight Underdog, do you really want lazy after you?

chubacka   

:D wasn't that what this whole topic was about?

after 11 pages I think we can all agree freedom of speech is guranteed to p!ss some one off!