Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

The Burcaawi Ina Batuuta - July 2007

N.O.R.F   

I might as well get started on my intended review of a trip worthwhile. I did intend on keeping a daily diary but just couldnt be bothered!

July 12th 2007

After a long day at work and last minute preparations, I set off for the airport at 12am aboard a Dubai taxi. The driver was Pakistani (surprise, surprise) and was good enough to wait while I looked for the security guard to inform him not to turn off my electricity in my absence.

Check-in was a nightmare with a bunch of Somalis with 'daqan celis' kids who were oblivious to the unwritten rules of how one should dress when going ‘home’. Shorts, chains and silly haircuts are not the way to ‘xarago’ when going to Africa. A pair of khakis, sandals and an African inspired shirt is a winner every time. they will soon find out I said to myself.

“Do you have a Visa?” asked the spotty Aussie accented man behind the desk. “No” I replied. “Do you have any ID proving you are Somali or of Somali Origin” “Yaa?” :confused: I said. “I don’t need a Visa for Somaliland”. I said. “For Burco you do” he replied. “For Hargaisa?” I asked. “Visa not required” he said. After some more exchanges he either gave up or realised he was wrong. Tolow ya waxaa ku yidhi? :rolleyes:

Anyway, we sat around and boarded the plane at approx 4am. We took off and landed in Djibouti 3 hours later. I have now been awake for 24 hours! Not my favourite airport by any stretch but what was to follow was utter incompetence mixed with joyous discussions with Somalis from all over the place. Meesha waxa joogay reer Burco, Hargaisa, Xamar, Bosasso, Galkacyo and lets not forger the Djaboutaawis.

A mixture of qaad, shaah iyo flight delays contributed to political discourse amongst the gents whilst the sisters/mothers waited patiently. A cousin of mine (who I didn’t recognise) came over having landed from London at 10.30am. He was due to get married (for the first time) a few nights later.

A total of 8 hours we waited at Jnasty airport and after 3 flights had gone to Hargaisa, one to Xamar, one to Galkacyo it was finally Burco at 2pm. At least we beat Bossaaso ey? :D

It was all aboard ‘air insha Allah’ where you have to sit at the front to counter the heavy load at the back of the plane (the luggage). There was no air-conditioning in the midday Djibouti heat and we were literally sweating buckets. Men, women and kids. I did plan on taking the family laakin I was glad my wife’s family member was getting married in London and they were not with me to experience such a journey.

We took on the 55 min flight and the Russian crew made their way down and along the coast. They took a right at Berbera and followed the road to Burco. Great navigation you have there fellas was my initial thought before the Somali cabin crew member touched me on the shoulder and served me some Fanta in a plastic cup. He returned and sold me an STC sim card for $5 with $5 worth of time included. Not bad we all thought at first :rolleyes:

Anyway, after a long night and day we finally touched down in Burco at approx 3pm. Waited around for a while got my bags (glad they didn’t leave it in Djnasty) and left for my residence. A shower, some bariis iyo hilib later then it was time to chill and enjoy the sweet breeze Burco is known for.

To be continued IA,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ibtisam   

loool North, HAHA. Interesting, Did they not fight over your bags, and did you not see fake relatives laa soo diire apprently? lool. Go, stop teasing us, pics. :D

N.O.R.F   

^^LoL

Yeah, I got my bags but left my passport for them to bring it to me the next day. The benefits of qabyaalad :D

N.O.R.F   

Friday July 13th 2007 (oooooh)

I had a heavy nights sleep only interrupted (in a good way) by the athaan and salaat. I had a wholesome breakfast of beer (read in Aft-Somali) with some fruit juice. It was weird saying hello to people I hardly knew even though they were blood. Especially when they know you inside out and say things like “Do you remember me when you was in Jeddah”? or “I remember the day you was born”. I had to fix-up blud, and fast.

I donned my white khamiis for Jumca prayer and we proceeded to Masjid Madina built by the late ‘Indo Dheere’ (Allah Yarxamu). We entered, prayed taxiyaatul Masjid just before the athaan and Khutba.

The Khutba was on the health hazards of qaad and the Imam did his research. I later found out that it was part of a new offensive by the mosque designed to instil a sense of shame and concern amongst the chewing brigade.

Later we went to a family who invited us for lunch. Bariis iyo hilib was the order of the day (what else?) followed by xab xab and some kaftan. Seediyaashay are a humourous bunch I tell ya. Then off we went back home.

I sat and talked with a UNDP worker on his current activities in SL and found some of the things he said interesting. He was praising the achievements of local authorities, clan and religious leaders in their efforts to minimise gun possession on the streets. Today, people are leaving their weapons at home and they are being encouraged to register those weapons. When registered people will be more reluctant to use those weapons. The punishment for murder today is death and the local clans live together in peace with any frictions. A job well done to the city leaders and long may it continue insha Allah. I didn’t hear a single gunshot during my whole stay and the only people with Klashis were either police or hotel security.

We were interrupted by a bunch of reer Sheffield iyo reer Liverpool youths. All wearing their respective macawiisyo, cimaamado but speaking English! Waar af-Somaali ku hadlaa laga dhaadicin kari waayey! Fish fooqal fish I said to myself.

It was time for casho and I chose the meat burger with chips :D (fries for you Yanks and Aussies)

Ibtisam   

Lool. Living it up, I see. You jumped right in wiht the food, did you not fear getting ill? lol. For a moment i thought some Kaftan was a kind of food! lol.

N.O.R.F   

Masjid Madiina

21207074263.jpg

21207074270.jpg

21207074293.jpg

21207074264.jpg

Standard sign outside most public places

21207074365.jpg

Entrance to where I was staying

21207074312.jpg

21207074328.jpg

21207074364.jpg

Ibtisam   

JAc, No thanks. I have a direct link there now, I find out the other day. North my duumashi (the dude who marries your sister) works there, I think he might even have a share.