Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

The Burcaawi Ina Batuuta - July 2007

N.O.R.F   

^^LoooooL

The poor things get scared if you drive too close. They might run, trip and break their knecks,,,,slow down JB when in the miyi

N.O.R.F   

We set off in the early hours (3am to be precise) in the hope of getting to the office of the National Industry Association by 7am and finalising the papers required for exemption from customs taxes for a delivery due in Berbera that same week. It was dark, I had only slept for 3 hours and now we were navigating the winding mountain roads of Shiekh in darkness. We were making good progress, the conversations were candid and the time for fajar was approaching.

We parked the car in a lay-by and made wudu using a couple of bottles of Maaxda. We had at least 5 boxes of water intended for anyone we may deem as in need of and for the guards at the numerous check points we will be passing through. We prayed fajar just a short time after we passed Shiekh.

It was daybreak and I could finally enjoy the scenery and take some snaps. The guards at the checkpoints seemed more relaxed than on my previous two visits. After an exchange of salaan iyo ‘waar ma idinkii baa?’ We would offer a few bottles of water as a gesture before they asked for money. It worked every time.

We stopped for a few minutes trying to re-start a broken down minibus but with no luck and so on we went to Berbera.

Our stomachs were churning by this point so it was time for some breakfast. We stopped off at a small maqaaxi and made our orders. Mine was a ‘loxoox wadani iyo koob shaaha’. The others had ‘loxoox iyo beer’. A very enjoyable breakfast even if there was too much subag on the loxoox and too much sonkor in the shaah. Off we went towards H-Town.

We made it into Hargaisa for approx 8am and went straight to the NIA office and sorted out the paperwork. Next was the minister for Industry whose signature we needed. He wasn’t there and we had to come back later. Time to find a hotel room. Mansoor fully booked, Ambassador fully booked, Barwaaqo fully booked! We found one near the Ambassador called Scandanavian hotel (built by a Somali Swede).

The start of three days in Hargaisa.

N.O.R.F   

A house in Burco

21307152716.jpg

The scenery around the broken down minibus

21307152734.jpg

Believe it or not, I have seen worse road in the UK!

21307152754.jpg

Second World War monument. The place where the Italian advance north was halted by the Brits.

21307152730.jpg

Entrance to White Sand Village. A huge area,,,,

21307152718.jpg

But with only two dodgy looking houses built so far,,,,

21307152779.jpg

Central Hargaisa Civil War Monument

21307152862.jpg

View from National Industry Association window

21307152941.jpg

N.O.R.F   

Yeah I got cash money,,,,all $5 of it :D

21307153132.jpg

21307153210.jpg

Hargaisa Cable TV channel headquarters

21307153287.jpg

I saw one of my abtiyos being interviewed on there that very same night. Imagine finding out your abtiyo has arrived from Denmark from the TV LOL

N.O.R.F   

Vanessia Hotel, what makes Italians go to SL and run a hotel tolow? :confused:

21308073537.jpg

I bought this at the Dollar Store for $9. Qaalisanaa ninyow :confused:

hahahaha ,,, it is worth it sow maaha coz there is the flag :D

Those italians can be an idependent topic baan is leeyahay ,,,,,, cajiib sow maaha ?

Gabbal   

Ngonge when was the last time you were in Somalia or were you even born there? :D I ask because your view of the land seems to be that of one who has no roots to it all!

To make you understand, when the idolater was asked why he worships wood and stone, he responded it is not the form we worship but the spirit that resides with in the form. Those bland buildings and dull "barees and heleb" hold a symbolic, emotional appeal. You as a Somali should understand that and hence why I ask what your ties to the land are other than my father was from there. :mad: :D

Northernor, nice sxb. Don't keep us on the outside, do continue. smile.gif

AYOUB   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Heh. That's what I'm talking about. You should have taken photos of random people, saaxib. Ok, fine. At least tell me you did better than our former burco envoy (what does she call herself these days?) and took photos of different animals. She did well with the goats, remember!
:D

Ahaaa! You just want to see pictures of snakes and lizards that have freaked the onions out you, don't ya? :D Flippin carab!

North

Enjoy your trip bro. Gaadhsii salaan gebi ahaantood ba...