Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Humour: I have a right to offend

Just as I was about to put the phone down, I heard him say, “By the way, did you hear about the war in Somalia?â€

I hadn’t of course, but I quickly replied in the affirmative and hung up. Two weeks later, I was bored of my Super Mario game. The pointless guilt though, still remains.

PS

In reality of course I only found out about the war when the Somali guys I used to play football with used to discuss it and then turn to me and say “adna na xaggad ka qaxday?â€...for some reason “Carabta†was not a reply they appreciated

You know, i decided to go back to the original text itself.(well the parts about where i find it humourless!) i figured maybe i over reacted. maybe i made a mountain out of an ant hill.

Why dont i let you guys read that part again.

Your country is @war. You didnt even care to know what happened.

Oh well, was i right when i said you were detached? This is where the issue is folks. Some folks have seen it, witnessed parhaps a persecution right infront of there eyes. maybe saw a family member get raped infront of them.or parhaps even lost a limb/arm in the whole process. mhmmm......let me guess. You dont give a hoot. eh?

am done.

But if you didnt even 'care'(i hate using this word!) becoz you actually said you dont 'care'. Then parhaps,maybe u dont mind me reffering to you as a 'ceesh and shawarma'(fish n chips) do you?

eitherways, we get the point, your family was not affected. you were safe and sound when ppl were dying. Good for you. you dont feel the pain because none of your family members got affected.

Now i see where the homour is.

Am out.

Baashi   

Baashi. Am gastronomically dissapointed with your responce.next time please dont be so correct. will Ya?

I hear u son! But don’t u despair cuz next time you would have to just look through ur screen! Inside the box, there will be the real deal...the “shock and awe†- operation the social grace! All those “shadows†that annoy u so much will be dealt and dealt harshly. Words on the screen will be translated into their binary dialect so that the sequence of the highs and lows or 0s and 1s will be subjected to a thorough examination. Nothing will escape from the “social grace†operation. In the end your shadowy opponents will be neutralized simply because you would be in a position to understand the inner workings of the machine language, compilers, translators, and these very words on the screen and the warm blooded fingers that type them which happen to belong to some faceless, gravy-sucking, name-changing character in a far away land.

What would have become of me if I had joined the bandwagon that's headed to the box huh :D Cut me some slack kid, will ya! and for crying out loud don’t puke on the keyboard. Let this one pass eh, next time count on me son. Btw, congrats for being the big man (about lady FF).

Nomads that I hold in high regard have been offended. For that I would say to them ladies don't you let screen characters get ur skin! For all the places not in this petty medium. Keep ya head up and just let it go. The man said he doesn't give it a damn about your pain and that's after the fact, after you aired your disapointment, still he does not care. So what to do? That's the way it is. Let it end there plz.

Have a good wkend one y'all. Untill the next time cafis iyo masaabax.

NGONGE   

Dawco, your paranoia and emotional overreaction know no bounds, my dear. Pray tell where in that thread or any of my replies does it mention anything about this war being a southern war? I’m as offensive about northerners as southerners if they’re all as paranoid as you are my friend. I make no apologies for other people’s perceptions. When you take a comment I wrote about ME and turn it into something about YOU then, my dear, you are trying to force your own pain and suffering on me and expect me to care! Force and intellectual bullying is not something I take lightly. I repeat again, if you decide to take offence to a piece that was not meant to offend then tough. Expect no apologies.

Brown-Brotha, one of those days, and hopefully with my assistance, you’ll finally start comprehending a piece when you read it. In the meantime, rage away, my brother. It amuses me.

Baashi,

You’re right, the issue here is whether you can express yourself creatively without offending anyone. I say you can’t. You’ll always offend one person or another. This is the whole point of the freedom of speech and having a right to say your bit. The only difference is in the intention. If you set out to offend that is your problem, if people take offence to comments, articles or pictures not meant at them; that’s their problem. My stance has not changed. Read the original point and subsequent explanations saaxib.

J11,

I wouldn't know where to begin in replying to your response there. Let me give you yet more examples of offensive humour. Mel Brooks, a Jewish comedian has written a movie and play (The Producers) about the war. For many fickle people, this play would be considered the height of offensiveness. Yet his play is very popular and won countless awards. I suppose going by your words; Mel Brooks got away with it because he can claim to be a “victim†too. He is Jewish after all. Still, this same Mel Brooks has also made a film (Blazing Saddles) that is the most racist movie ever. Nobody that watches that film can tell you that the language used, the situations and slapstick comedy within is anything but offensive. Again, this film received high acclaim and most (excluding a few fickle souls) of those that watched it felt no offence at all. It’s a hit and miss thing, granted, however, I believe that in order to make the hits one is invariably going to also experience a few misses. This should not deter one from pursuing his goals in attempting to make what he deems to be inoffensive comedy. When all is said and done (as the saying goes) the audience would be the final arbiter of the quality of the work. If the joke is not funny enough, it will sink and if it has any funny substance it will spread and gain popularity (regardless of the reactions of those easily offended).

I repeat, if the intention is to offend, the offence should be obvious to all (i.e. someone making a joke expressing his happiness at the plight of Jews in gas chambers or the death of Russian school children). On the other hand, humour that seeks to satirise, mock or ridicule a situation or people in order to show the absurdity of life, whilst being unintentionally offensive to some, puts things into perspective for others or is simply funny.

You’re in the UK, and I’m sure you’re aware of the furore about Prince Harry, the Jerry Springer Opera or even the Birmingham Hindu play. All are very recent examples of topics that managed to offend. In Prince Harry’s case, it wasn’t his distasteful humour that was only at issue and that people took umbrage to, it was his position as a symbol of British authority. There were already dark mutterings about the British royal family’s German roots and the involvement of some relatives of his in the war (on both sides). The offence was not taken because some young kid decided to wear a German army uniform to a fancy dress party, it was offensive because this was the third in line to the throne and he was in the public eye. The argument was, he should have known better than to put himself in such a situation.

The two other cases mocked religion. This, easily, is the quickest way to offend a large number of people in the shortest time possible. In both cases, the Christians and the Hindus were up in arms (as I’d imagine the Muslims would be if it were directed at them). Notwithstanding Prince Harry’s case, should the other two have been censored?

There is a law being proposed in the UK that will make it “illegal†to make religious jokes and poke fun at people of faith. The rumours are, this law has been introduced to protect Muslims! Incidentally, the biggest opponent to this law so far has been Salman Rushdi (remember him?). I find myself agreeing with him here. To satirise and mock any ideologies and concepts should not be subject to other people’s sensitivities but only to the author’s view of the absurdities within and his ability to highlight such absurdities. A Muslim of course, would not attempt to satirise his own faith (though it’s possible to mock the pitiful state of his fellow Muslims or the situation the Muslims find themselves in). A non-Muslim, I believe, has every right to mock, ridicule and make fun at all the absurdities he perceives in Islam. Those taking offence will be better off educating him and explaining these “absurdities†rather than waste their time with spitting the proverbial dummy!

I’ll stop now.

dawoco   

question:

Pray tell where in that thread or any of my replies does it mention anything about this war being a southern war?

answer:

There has to come a time when you people stop the wailing

By we people I can only assume you mean the southerners who have been hit the most with the civil war.

Now to finish of this fiasco.

I’ll probably laugh at how offensive you can be.

I’m as offensive about northerners as southerners if they’re all as paranoid as you are my friend. I make no apologies for other people’s perceptions. When you take a comment I wrote about ME and turn it into something about YOU then, my dear, you are trying to force your own pain and suffering on me and expect me to care! Force and intellectual bullying is not something I take lightly. I repeat again, if you decide to take offence to a piece that was not meant to offend then tough. Expect no apologies.

Has the offender become the offended :eek: Seems like you not the only one reserving the right to offend eh ;)

Mac salaama.

NGONGE   

^^^ Reminds me of the saying “assumption is the mother of all mess-ups (to use the polite term). The “we†was a general point directed at everyone in this site (you need to read some of my older posts on the topic). This southern point I’m happy to clarify and totally say that it was not, will not be and gives me no reason to make. I’m indifferent to southerners as I am to northerners.

Of course I would take offence. I am human (even if you probably don’t believe it) after all. However, I was not offended in this instance. I was merely irritated at the complete misinterpretation of my words (which I remind you for the umpteenth time were not meant to offend).

bismilah!

Someone has to put a stop to this guys, shaydaanka iska naara please...

How can I put this together with out taking sides or offending anyone?

Ngonge,

firstly I just wanted to tell you, what you have posted in the other thread wasn't offensive nor was it directed at anyone, but when I first read your post the first time before anyone had responded to it .The thought that first came to my mind honestly was "watt a selfish kid" and I laughed at you, because my understanding or perception of your read was, you had intended make fun of yourself. Ng I don't know if you had put a thought to your post initially before writing it brother, but I wouldn't personally write what you wrote while everyone else wrote about their struggle, their fleeing, situations of there parents and how uncomfortable the whole situations have been for them, personally I would felt a little embarrassed. So maybe that's what triggered this whole mess up, ng brother I wholeheartedly believe your intentions were pure and perceived it as they were. But ngonge I know Juxa has let her xanaag get the best of her, when she responded to your post after you gave the condolences. But when the way you responded was totally uncalled for walaalkiis, two wrong don't make it right.

Juxa,

My sweet gentle sister, abaayo i never thought in million years you would be so upset over something so simple. abaayo Somali waxay tiraahdaa "hadal si loo yiri, sina loo qaaday" abaayo macaan waxaa aad ku qaldaneyd in aad ngonge caaysid, eraya cay ah munaasab ma aheeyn.

Abaayo waan soo wada qaxnay anaka oo dhan, dhibaatooyin oo aan la maleysan karin neh waan soo marnay, labo wiil oo walaalaheeyna wey ku dhinteen (allah yarxama raaximiin), marka abaayo there is nothing that anyone can say or do to bring them back no matter how they praise or joke bout them, that is something me and my family hold near and dear. Marka abaayo niyada kheyr u sheeg, aduun lee waaye waxaan.

Allah yahdiih yaa akhwaanii

asxantu

Checkmate,

Saaxiib Soomaalida waxay ku maahmaahdaa Gaal dil Gartiisna Sii, sidaas darteed, hadaan saxanahay fahamkeyga luuqada English-ka, erayada bareerada ah isla markaasna sida ula kaca ah uu NGONGE ugu af lagaadeeyay dad dhan oo shiiq iyo shariif leh waa mid runtii laga dhiidhiyi karo. Waxaan qabaa in gabadha Juxa ay wado gar ah ku taagan tahay, waana in arintaas uusan galin qof adoo kale ah, sababtoo ah Ninkii dhibka waday ayaad ka dhigtay dhibane, qofkii la dhibayna waxaad ka dhigtay kii Wax bi'iyay.

Arintaada koley aniga waan ka shakiyay, waxaana laga yaabaa inaad juffo ahaan aad is xigtiin ninka la yiraahdo NGONGE. Taasna ma beensan karo oo dhowr jeer baan waxaan aqriyay NGONGE oo meelaha qaarkood ku faanaya "Somaliaonline.com waxaa leh dad aan wax isku nahay, moderators-ka badi waa ilma adeeradeey oo isla meel ayaan kusoo kornay" iyo hadala noocaas oo kale ah. Marka midhaa kuwaas ayaad adigu ka mid aheyd uu sheeganayay.

Anigase waxaan ku caan baxay qof cadaadala u hiilaya, waana iska cadahay inaanan heybtooda aqoonin labada qof ee dhibtu ka dhex aloosan tahay. Waxaan usoo dhexgalay meesha Islaanimo, iyo anoo jidkaan iska maraayo inaan arkay qoraalkaaga ku saleysan hiilada iyo garbinta eexda ku dhisan. Koley waan iriba iri, waxaadse yeeshaa adeer intaad cidihiina isku laabatiin orodoo ninkaan umada jaa'ifeynaya ka qabta, hadii kale dad ayaa isku go'i doona sida ii muuqata!

NGONGE DHIBKIISA WAA BATAY, WAXAANA LA QARIN KARAA MAALINTII UU QOF SACABADIISA KU QARIYO QORAXDA!

Caawadaan waxaan meesha ku qoray qoraal aan leeyahay dadyahow iska daaya ninkaan aan xaalka iyo ceebtu qaban, English baan ku iri, qof aan ogahay baa intuu aayar soo dhuuntay halmar wixii aan meesha ku dhagsaday xagaf ku siiyay laad iyo darbo. Hadaba anigoo nin oday ah arintaas ma i qabataa Soomaali Maxamadeey? Taas waxaa iiga daran, meesha Alle-ubaahne lagu aamusinayo NGONGE-gana uu yahay afkeey furan! War iyo dhamaantiis, Nimanyahow ciyaalkaan laba xidiglayaasha ah hanalaga qabto oo waxaad yeeshaan awooda qofka loo dhiibaya yuusan noqon mid dadka ku amar-taagleeya.

Nabadeey

Alle-ubaahne

Gudoomiyaha Nabadeynta ahna

Agaasimaha Is-gacanqaadka Heshiisyada

^^subxaanal llaah

waana in arintaas uusan galin qof adoo kale ah, sababtoo ah Ninkii dhibka waday ayaad ka dhigtay dhibane, qofkii la dhibayna waxaad ka dhigtay kii Wax bi'iyay.

Marka hore ninyahoow see wax u araktaa mise wax fahanka ayaa kugu yar, wallee iyo billee somali waxay turaahdaa "barasho horteed ha i nicin" waligey waxaan kuu heystay nin ehelul diin ah oo garsoor yaqaan ah, laakiin cawatoole ayaan ogaadey in aad tahay nahaab iyo diradiraale sxb, mawaadan ogeyn in cadaab kaa danbeeyo oo laguugu imtixaanaayo xumaanta aad dadka u kala gudbineyso.

Qofka ibni aadanka ah waxaa xil weyn ka saaran ilaah ka cabsi iyo cadaalad nimo alle-u-baahnoow, sidey saansaan taaduna u jaleecdu midnaba ma hedysatin, toobad alle mar walbay furan tahay walaalkiis, ilaahey ka cabso marwalba.

Codsi: ma aqaan ujeeda daada iyo dheefka aad waxyaalahaan ka helayso, laakin maandhoow aanu is cafino

asxantu

Originally posted by CHECKMATE:

[QB] ^^subxaanal llaah

Waa run ilaah waa kii xumaan oo dhan ka nazahan. Laakiin maxaan bi'iyay walaaloow. Ma dadbaan dilay, mise qofbaan jaa'ifo u geystay? Sidee wax u jiraan Gacaliye?

Marka hore ninyahoow see wax u araktaa mise wax fahanka ayaa kugu yar

Waa suura gal inuu fahamka igu yaryahay, oo taas bini'aadam ayaan u ahay, laakiin waxaan qabaa inaad adiga faham ahaan aad ku sidbatay meeshaas aad garta ku eexisay.

laakiin cawatoole ayaan ogaadey in aad tahay nahaab iyo diradiraale sxb

Saaxiib hadaan qaladka kaa qabto ma waxaan ahay Nahaab, hadii aan gartii aad eexisay toosiyana ma waxaan ahay Dirdiraale?

Aniga maku fahmin runtii, laakiin waxaan soo dhaweynayaa arinta ah "barasho horteed yaan la is nicin". Waxaasa iga go'an inaanan kugu dayan oo aan marwalba noqdo walaalka ween ee loo gafay, insha allah.

Qofka ibni aadanka ah waxaa xil weyn ka saaran ilaah ka cabsi iyo cadaalad nimo alle-u-baahnoow

Ilaahoow kheyr ku sii saaxiib, wax fiican baad na xasuusiay aniga iyo adigaba. Waan qaatay ilaah u laabashada, taas car aan hadal kasoo celiyo.

Codsi: ma aqaan ujeeda daada iyo dheefka aad waxyaalahaan ka helayso, laakin maandhoow aanu is cafino

Ujeedadeedu waa nabad raadin, oo waxaad ka dhadhansan kartaa erayada aad kahsatay mooyee kuwa kale. Nabada iyo islaaxinta dadka wadadhashay waa waajib diini ah oo qof walba oo muslim ah saaran. Hadaad arintaas dhaliilsan tahay, koley adiguba waxbaad is laheyd xali, inkastoo arintu meel kale kula aaday. Laakiin adeeroow aniga xageyga cafis iyo masaamax, meel la isku soo jiro lama oga. Waxaana intaas si geesinimo leh kuugu raacinayaa inaad ka raali ahaato wixii gaf ah, oo aad xaal iyo cimaamad qaadato.

Wabilahi Towfiq

Paragon   

NGONGE,

The examples you gave are supportive of what I wrote in my earlier post. As I said, ‘victim-hood’ comes with some moral ‘privileges’. One of these privileges constitutes the right of conveyance of story of victim-hood in any way they (victims) deem suitable. This is to say that they have a moral right to either convey it through humour or prose. The ‘other’ moral privilege they have, which grants the victim in account of their suffering, is to speak of the oppressors or victimizers in any tone they so desire. So when Jewish producers in Hollywood or in London produce a thematic play or movie about what happened, it is a right granted to them morally by fate (I use fate here not independent of Qadr).

That said, the offensive acts of expressions you gave me as examples could be categorized into two sections. Offensive humour based on: Insensitivity or Intolerance. In the former category of Insensitivity/Sensitivity belongs humour such as the one of Prince Harry, Mel Gibson, or even Roberto Benigni. The determinant factor of whether this kind of humour offends or not, dependents on (as I mentioned before) on whose humour it is. Is the humour by the victims themselves or by an outside? In the case of Prince Harry who is, apart from his insensitivity, of Royal descent coupled with German origins (this strikes a nerve to those who were victim to German soldiers) has a great significance to offend.

In the latter category belong exercises/humours that pertain to the ‘freedom of expression’ (or whatever you might like to call it) of an individual who is citizen to a democracy. I believe expressions of such a humour should be permissible, in that such a humour is not necessarily based on ridiculing the person's victim-hood but purely attacks the ideas and beliefs of the said person. As long as there is no personal attack involved in humour, I say, it is understandable. So NGONGE, when you use the Birmingham play, Salman Rushdi, or the Jerry Springer, you should also know that such humour or expression is wholly different from that which ridicules actual victimization of a people. And the reason why it is taken out of context by some is because those who object toit often make the mistake of opposing it (as an‘expression’ and ideas) with acts of violence, rather with equivalent ‘expressions’ and ideas. If I remember it well Sheikh Ahmed Dedat gave a different approach in dealing with Rushdi’s blasphemy, a non-violent one.

Now back to the hits and misses of humour. Answer me why an African-American can use the word that begins with ‘N’ freely as he wishes as opposed to a white man using it to describe African-Americans? If you watch Chris Rock’s movie Down To Earth , there is a scene where he is hit by a track. As the moviemakers claim he dies before his time and goes to (what supposedly they call) heaven, however, at reaching there he is told you must go Down To Earth. And since his old Black body was damaged in the process he is brought back to life in the body of a white billionaire. The soul is black, the body is white, and so, Chris Rock with his new body visit his old hanging out places such as the Apollo, where he was a comedian who used the word ‘N’ as freely as they came. In from of a Black crowd, while in his white body, he starts to hurl the word at his audience. All his of audience go silence and gob smacked. Thus after a short while is he booed of the stage. Now tell me, what does that signify to you? Is doing such a thing admirable or just plain foolish?

I hear u son! But don’t u despair cuz next time you would have to just look through ur screen! Inside the box, there will be the real deal...the “shock and awe†- operation the social grace! All those “shadows†that annoy u so much will be dealt and dealt harshly. Words on the screen will be translated into their binary dialect so that the sequence of the highs and lows or 0s and 1s will be subjected to a thorough examination. Nothing will escape from the “social grace†operation. In the end your shadowy opponents will be neutralized simply because you would be in a position to understand the inner workings of the machine language, compilers, translators, and these very words on the screen and the warm blooded fingers that type them which happen to belong to some faceless, grave-sucking, name-changing character in a far away land

Ok adeer. I will follow your advice. :D

NG. I Promise to comprehend(of course with your help!) if stop being boring. Deal?

By Alle-Ubaahne

Arintaada koley aniga waan ka shakiyay, waxaana laga yaabaa inaad juffo ahaan aad is xigtiin ninka la yiraahdo NGONGE.

War ninyahow maxaa kuqaadey ninweyn ayaan kuu qabeye? War xumo tashiilnimada iska daa oo Alle kacabso :confused: :confused:

As of this year, I never seen an Ignorant person than this DinkyWinky girl/labeeb, or whatever her name is. She has the courage to ask foolproof questions but she lack the passion to go and learn the religion.

Even, think about this! When you respond to her questions as far as you know, she then comes up this strenge subsequant meaningless questions.

She must be one of the latest products of western ignorance! Ooooooooooooooooooooooc,

^This is how u insulted that Dinky girl and difinitely, this is not the way to win someone over and bring close to Allah if that was ur intention if egaging the topic to begin with..

More of your isults to other girls...........

Lucky you the Admin erased this and he is what he wrote

**********PLEASE RESPECT OTHERS SPECIALLY OUR MODERATORS ANDS STOP GETTING PERSONAL WITH NOMADS

This is a warning

Admin

Somalia Online

[ February 11, 2005, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Admin ]

This is also your INSULTS to Athena in another thread

Therefore, you respect gays, the culture of child molestations, the believe of democracy as a rule, the feminism, the freedom to drink alcohols, the freedom of nudity. That is apparently what you saying, right? Which Islam is that, horta? The moderate innovations or what? lol

You also, respect the abrogated religions, as well as the religions of the devil, at certain places in the west, lol. You respect their law that forbids the full practice of Islam and Mocks our religion as a dark-aged and backwarded religion. You probably in love with Micheal Jeckson, Jennifer Lopez and the Hollywood Renegades than our beloved great Islamic heroes.

You may watch Sexy and the City shows out of respect or by acting to be part of the mainstream sociaty. yeah, you are cool girl, moderate beer drinkers just like tea!

Qax qax qax , did you know Bashir Goth was looking for you, he is another altra-moderate former Sufi boy in the hood, ok eedo, ii baashaal waan ku fahmay aniga koley

This is ur insult FF too

Femme Fatalena hadaad wadaad ku sheegtay, anigana waxaan leeyahay NGONGE waa shiiq kale!

How can you call gabar fataal? Wax isku fal ninyahow

Horta waa saad sheegtey oo Alle aad baad ugu baahantahay balse cayda Nomads-ka, khaasatan cayda gabdhaha maxaa ka heshaa waa yaabe?

OG Moti   

I am so disappointed some of my friends here has carried away and been intimidated by a young girl, and they turn the place into indirect tribe coalition, Ngonge what is up? You are getting dragged to tribalism by people pretending to be with you and you neither stopping them doing so thou you know they are supporting not because they agree with you but on the basis of tribe, so I suggest my dear friend think about it, is it worth it, do they worth for you to lose your good friends on SOL by turning into clear tribalist, I hope not but it looks ugly, I think Dawaco and juxa managed to dragged you and you guys showed incompetence being professionals and turn the thing into South and North, what a shame, I am completely disappointed,

PEace