Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Humour: I have a right to offend

NGONGE   

The funny thing about humour is that not all share in it. Some jokes offend, some make people laugh and some have no impact whatsoever.

Humour that seeks to intentionally offend is understandable on occasions (e.g. two people fighting and using ghastly but hilarious putdowns). On the other hand, humour that does not set out to offend but still manages to offend a few wet and humourless folks, is not only understandable, in my opinion, such humour is admirable. In the same way that these humourless individuals would whinge about their right to be offended, the jester also can, wittily, moan about his right to offend.

Sometimes, it’s prudent not to jest about tragedies straight after the incident took place (i.e. Tsunami victims, their situation, the way they died or even telling a fictional “funny†story about the event itself). Also, some topics, out of moral duty or religious adherence should not be attempted at all (i.e. God, Heaven and Hell).

Sensitivity, compassion and care are all great attributes. Alas, if applied at all times, the world would be a dull and sad place. In many situations in life, one is presented with two choices, laugh or cry! When one cries, acts serious and drowns in sorrow at all tragedies (even those taking place hundreds of years ago), one becomes a tiresome and tedious individual. Similarly, when one laughs, jests and jokes around all the time, one also, surprisingly enough, becomes a tiresome and tedious individual too.

Having said all of the above, humour and making amusing comments on any given subject should not be censored. When those offended cite examples as “the jester does not have the imagination to picture the horrific scenes that saddened me and depressed me and if they had that imagination they would know not to make jokesâ€, they’re just being simplistic and extremely self-indulgent.

If my humour offends you, tough! If your humour offends me on the other hand, I’ll probably laugh at how offensive you can be.

Do you think humour should be censored? Why?

STOIC   

Some people really need to get a sense of humor.Every once in a while a wild impulse of delight is needed. Is it that some people don't have fun?

Disclaimer:This posting has nothing to do with previous discussion!

dawoco   

In the same way that these humourless individuals would whinge about their right to be offended, the jester also can, wittily, moan about his right to offend.

when one laughs, jests and jokes around all the time, one also, surprisingly enough, becomes a tiresome and tedious individual too

Ah! who would have thought that ngonge and i would have something in common ;)

Now if you will all excuse me, i'm off to the local synagoge, maybe i can find a surviver of the holocaust and lighten up their dull and serious-indulgent lives by showing them how to seek the funny and witty side of the situation.

Waw, i have benefited from reading this, ngonge kudos to you my courtjester nomad brother.

Reading Ngonge's post (I might be wrong) but I gathered that he was poking fun at his ignorance of the situation rather than the situation itself.

So many of us were too young to remember what happened or can even make sense of it...and most of our "experience" that we are relating, is what we heard from family and relatives.

The war was indeed horrible--but I myself thought it was an exciting adventure (I was 7). Looking back it now, do I realize the extent of brutality and hatred that went into it.

Don't be jumping to conclusions people.

^Dawaco, Why dont you pass me by @ world trade centre while i homour the surviving relatives of the 911 victims with my amazing capabilities of playing nintendo,and yapping about my right to offend.

Oh get me some bread and cuppuchino too.

Ngonge, In your quest to be edgy and contraversial,i beleive this is a tad 'Un-Ngonge-ish' for me.

All things considered, you seriously need to stop arguing for the sake of it. Honestly its getting ridiculously weired.

Faheema.   

Hey did you know Prince Charles propose to Camilla Parker Bowles :eek: :eek:

ooops… wrong thread…I saw the word humor in the title icon_razz.gif

On a serious note: I agree that death jokes do offend and upset people who have lost someone close to them, but as -Femme Fatale- said "Ngonge's post was that he was poking fun at his ignorance of the situation rather than the situation itself."

I was there when the war broke out and like many I was too young to remember and fortunate because I was not exposed to many of the horrible and unfortunate things that took place.

Please note that all jokes have the potential to offend, upset or annoy someone, it’s almost impossible to tell a joke and be “Politically Correct†at the same time.

Juxa   

sa wr wb

wax la qariya, qurun aa ku jira! . so i wont even bother hiding my intentions.

NGONGE! would you laugh, joke and jester around if your mother, father, and siblings were slaughtered infront of you?

maybe you would see the humour in it if the killers done it while giggling.

some of us, still bear the scars! maybe it is time you leave your nintendos and apply sensitivity, compassion and whatever the third thing was you said!

by da way, this have something to do with the other topic. so go on and say tough that some of us lost everything, after all you do indeed have right to OFFEND.

Originally posted by - Nifty -:

^^ Quick answers
Brotha

Q1a.
NO

Q1b. Ammediate Family...?
NO
Alxamdulilah.

well. Spank me for asking you such a dumb Q.

Beats me why am talking to someone who doesnt know the number of lives lost in the worst civil war in their country!!!!